Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/28/2006, 07:44 PM
Registered Member.

pics on the way in about 10 mins i acclimated them for 3.5 hours

they look good and are eating already

just been a long day of work
Old 09/28/2006, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

how did you acclimate it? Just water dripping?
Old 09/28/2006, 08:23 PM
Benevolent Dictator

3.5 hours????? holy cow better safe than sorry i suppose
Old 09/28/2006, 08:34 PM
Buttfish Pioneer

Man, you need documents to buy fish now? LOL!!!

Here's my black occ, purchased from Tyler at Dolphin in San Jose...

When I first got him:

More recently:

I know, bad pix, but you can see features in the first, and in the second you can see that he visibly darkened. I did have the chance to encounter one of the inbred ORA ones, and I agree, much different look.

It's pretty bad when people are selling fish as W/C and sending you inbreds. Too bad, too, because I would have liked to support captive breeding, but the fish looked so funny (underbite, misbar, et.)

good luck. I purchased dry goods from Blue Zoo and they seemed like stand up people, so hopefully you get what you ordered.

-A
Old 09/28/2006, 08:34 PM
Registered Member.

yeah went to go put them in qt and mother in law was cleaning with scented bleach and got some in the tank. so i didnt have anything to put them in.

so into the display they went

but they are active looking very good and eating like pigs.
Old 09/28/2006, 08:44 PM
Registered Member.

Talking pictures

Old 09/28/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member.

i still have to clean the glass some but there they go. my new little piggies
Old 09/28/2006, 08:53 PM
mixing salt since 1987

Very nice looking.
Old 09/28/2006, 09:57 PM
Political Inactivist

handsome! congrats!
Old 09/28/2006, 10:35 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Not dissing anyone or toting anyone, but from the coloration alone, my first inclination is that they are CB and young. But nice and fully barred.
But then, I've never been on the receiving end of these fish.

However, I have been on the receiving end of unscrupulous "collectors" who ship CB fish as WC out of the land down under.

Don't get me wrong. I'd be first on the list if WC were coming in.
Old 09/29/2006, 07:17 AM
Registered Member.

yeah i figured that but either way they are the best looking i have seen in a long time and i think its still worth it.

base on prelim pics oama what do you think?
Old 09/29/2006, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

I'm with Oama on this.

Nice clowns, looks like the lighter one has a white string.
Old 09/29/2006, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, those look just like the ones my LFS got in as WC. There were also some ORA CB a few tanks down that looked identical (not that they should necessarily look different, I don't know). Either way you received some nice black o's Keith.

Do you guys think a collector would be more inclined to catch small brown ones over large black ones? I would think the black would have more value???

Last edited by criccio; 09/29/2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09/29/2006, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

My question is, we know that young black ocellaris start off a dirty orange and then get darker as they age, but do they also stay brown if they are several years old but being dominated in their anemone by the breeding pair?

I know few of us have seen a group of black ocellaris in their anemone in the wild, but I wonder if you would see a bunch of black clowns of all sizes or would you see a breeding pair of black clowns w/ a bunch of smaller brown clowns?
Old 09/29/2006, 02:02 PM
Zoa Color Pirate

Nice pair... Honestly I would not even begin to guess WC or CB...

One has stringy poo looks like, and they dont have stubby faces, faces are dark not orange like most young CB's. Would all make me think WC

Bars have little v's in them, & young coloration would make me think CB.

Although I've noticed alot of clowns comming in younger and younger ... seems the collectors are grabbing them younger now.

Have you gotten any paperwork on them yet?
Old 10/02/2006, 11:40 AM
RC Sponsor

Hi guys!

Keith, were glad they arrived ok and they look great. Nice to see some pictures of them.

Paperwork on wild caught fish is completly impossible and in my 15 years in the industry most people request CB/CR certificates but never wild caught. It's kind of a wierd thing to ask and aside from giving a copy of the shipping receipt (which I cannot do) there is no other way than to just take my word for it.

Our Australian supplier has no other CB stuff, it's all wild caught animals. They are not from the UK, nor from ORA. That's about all I can tell you about them.

Is there some sort of 'wild caught' documentation that I can try to find for them that I dont know about? I asked the supplier and he basically said the same thing I did about how people usually want CB certification. So..... I dunno

It's true that the little guys will darken with age. I had a pair that I babysat for a friend who's tank was crashing. They started out looking like these little guys and are now solid black. The female is quite mean too and I have about 4 or 5 scars on my arm from that fish

Keep the pix commin! It's neet to see the tanks
If you guys want some of these, drop me and email and I'll be happy to put you on the waiting list for them. No telling how long it will be until I can get some more in but I'll do what I can for you guys!

Adrienne
Livestock Manager
Blue Zoo Aquatics
Old 10/02/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member.

Thanks again adrienne ill have to post more pics soon and these 2 little guys are eating like pigs. its just great to see them doing so well
Old 10/02/2006, 11:58 AM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Every, and I mean EVERY fish that is exported from AU has exportation paperwork that fully documents where the fish came from, rather that was off a reef or from some breeders tank.

Every, and again I mean EVERY shipment of live animals imported into the US, has to have proper documentation to pass US fish and wildlife and US customs inspections. Any fish coming from AU will use the AU paper work to prove where the fish came from and what they are.

In fact the AU paperwork is so detailed it will tell exactly when the fish was caught, where with GPS cords and by whom. When and where the fish passed thru each and every inspection point until it leaves AU.

If anyone at the importer is telling there is "no paperwork" they are 110% full of BS. This is not insider or trade secret types of things going on here. Any importer should be able and willing to produce a copy. Oh, and the old excuse of "we do keep that stuff", is total BS and the paperwork has to kept for 3 years to meet US law requirements.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueZooAquatics
Is there some sort of 'wild caught' documentation that I can try to find for them that I dont know about? I asked the supplier and he basically said the same thing I did about how people usually want CB certification. So..... I dunno

Adrienne
Livestock Manager
Blue Zoo Aquatics
Old 10/02/2006, 12:14 PM
RC Sponsor

Have you worked at a big wholesaler before?

I have. For 3 years.

Unless there was some major secret that I was unaware of, the only information that FWL has is the invoice. I dont know what you are talking about.

I don't mean to get into a contest of attitudes or anything with you but that is all I know. Sorry.
Old 10/02/2006, 12:25 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueZooAquatics
Have you worked at a big wholesaler before?
No, but I do have an import license and have for several years...

You need to talk to the importer, not the wholesaler.