Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2006, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

hybrid breeding question

So I have a somewhat random question as to what the exact definition of a hybrid is. I was under the impression that hybrids could not breed, and have also heard that A. Leukocranos was a hybrid. However, I know of a breeding pair of those. Also, I know of an A. Leukocranos paired with an A. Nigripes that have spawned offspring, but only time will tell if they are capable of reproducing. Does all of this make sense?
Old 09/27/2006, 06:29 PM
Offical aiptasia farmer

well ive been doing the same research into hybrid clowns and i have been being told that they can be fertile.

f1 and f2 dont breed true most times and look more like one of the original pair.

i believe hybridized mammals only incur the inferetility???????
Old 09/27/2006, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

Hybrids can be defined as offspring resulting from the mating of two different species, but it can also refer to matings between two different "races" within the same species. For example, crossing a brahma bull with a shorthorn cow produces a hybrid known as a Santa Guertrudes (sp?).
Rules of classification were developed from very old science. It is now known that many fish, and probably other organisms don't follow "our" rules for what is a species.
Old 09/27/2006, 10:01 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Well said, Phil.
When it come to fish, throw out any preconceptions you may have of Hybrids.

Also, anyone interested in this area... Hybrids of any clown with a Maroon clown fish... Yes they are classified as different Genus. But the only reason that are so classified is due to the large spine on the "cheek" or operculum of the Maroons. It does not mean that they are NOT closely related.