Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2006, 04:29 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

TSO is a tradition at my house, we've seen every tour so far. We get do the backstage thing, which my kids have discovered is a great way to impress dates!

For those Buffalo folks who have not bought tickets--do it soon! The 12/23 date will be great to really get in the spirit.

John
Old 12/03/2006, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Ah no fair, I want backstage tickets too. How do I obtain some for next year, do you know? I'm sure you probably do. It's great to have friends in "high" places.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:40 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Exclamation BUMPING AN OLD THREAD

Quote:
Originally posted by drtango
Ellery-

How was TSO? The keyboard guy/musical director is my oldest/best friend and a native of Buffalo. The show seems to get grander every year...

John
Well we finally got to see TSO last night in Rochester and guess who I ran into?
Playfair, Doug Scheck and families

John- I was tempted to stay after the show to say "hi" to your friend. I probably should have- it took us an hour to get out of the parking garage anyways.
BTW- my kids and I thought the show ROCKED!!!!!!!!
(Wife thought it was a little too loud!)
Man those flame things throw off some serious heat!
Old 12/30/2007, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

i wanted to go but broke from xmas.my buddy told me that its members are original members from testament a metal banf from the 80,s any one know??
Old 12/30/2007, 08:42 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Jim- Alex Skolnick was playing Gibson's last night. He had a Les Paul and a Gibson doubleneck.
The other dude (Chris?) was playing a Dean V and what looked like a Les Paul. I couldn't see their amps. We were seated halway back in the war memorial. It was packed. You gotta go next year!

turn up your PC speakers and explore the TSO website and it's links:

http://www.trans-siberian.com/about/theband.shtml

FWIW Jeff Plate (drummer) is from upstate NY and so is TSO's musical director (DrTango's buddy) Bob Kinkel.

I would have to rate the light show and pyrotechnics as the best I've ever seen (and I've seen a LOT of concerts).
The sound was top notch, too.

Last edited by Gary Majchrzak; 12/30/2007 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

We were there too last night. Went with friends. We sat right in the middle of the 1st set of seats in the 114 section. I have a couple great pictures. I thought they totally rocked. Sorry I didn't see anyone. Maybe next time.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

thanks for the link gary!!looks like the alot of the musicians are from SAVATAGE!!!i seen tso on good morning america and it looked /soundedgreat.i will definately catch them next year!
Old 12/30/2007, 11:26 PM
Upstate Reef Society

Cool i saw

i saw tso last night was amazing.. are they mostly a local area band?? i mean guys from here seems like they have alot of ties and the show was soooo awesome ill be buying tickets again next year.. not much in the way of a storm here
Old 12/31/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Lol, you guys just got me scared this snow thats comin down outside was gonna get bad
Old 12/31/2007, 11:48 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

Yup--some of the members were in the metal band Savatage; The drummer is from Horseheads, and the musical director/main keyboard guy (Bob Kinkel) is from Williamsville. The rest are from NYC and beyond.

Great show in Buffalo too, sold out HSBC for two shows. Got some sweet front/center seats! My wife talked Bob into coming out into the arena before the show to say hi to some of her friends from work, a whole bunch of middle aged groupies. She reminds me every year that she dated Bob for awhile in high school. We got to see some of the pyro setups backstage, really impressive. They've got 12 semi trucks full of stuff for their stage setup.

Just got an Email from Bob----they played a show in NJ and ROGER DALTRY came out for several songs; Pinball wizard, Behind Blue Eyes etc. Google YouTube for some clips. They had to find a wired mike for Daltry so he could do his "windmill microphone" thing. Bob has a hard time believing he's playing with some of the guys he idolized "back in the day". Last year they played with Greg Lake from Emerson, Lake and Palmer and some of the members of Yes.

John
Old 01/01/2008, 12:38 AM
Premium Member

You guys are forgetting one of the best musicians in TSO. Mark Wood. He plays the electric Violin/Viola that looks like a guitar resting on his shoulder. He has his own band and travels across the country. He gave a masters class (I play Viola) at Hochstein earlier this year. He's absolutely incredible. Rock/Pop/Jazz/Classical he seems to be able to do it all. He has a bunch of great videos on YouTube.

Happy New Year!
Old 01/01/2008, 07:40 AM
Upstate Reef Society

Cool all i know

all i know is from now on TSO will be a yearly event for me .. was the best present ive gotten in a long time..
Old 01/01/2008, 12:48 PM
Parrotfish in Mexico

Agree, Mark Wood is awesome. I love watching the orchestra, which is hired locally (Buffalo Philharmonic here), rock out....there are bits and pieces of classical music woven throughout the music

John