Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Kalk Reactor vs Kalk Stirrer

I'm about to purchase the Deltec Kalk stirrer as a way to top off my system with saturated kalk. I was orignially going to get the Precision Marine or GEO Reef Kalk Reactor...

Just wanted to know what the differences are between the two, a reactor vs a stirrer that is.
(Besides the fact that one stirs and one uses a powerhead)

Is one more efficient than the other?

I dont plan on setting up a calcium reactor anytime soon (bc of price) so i decided to go with just dosin kalk in my top off system for now..
Old 12/04/2007, 06:28 PM
I am a super nose picker

I think the difference is the stirrer doesn't mix up the kalk the way a powerhead does,I think its more gentile.I doubt it makes a difference.I do think that the powerhead may ruin in the long run because kalk gets into the shaft and the powerhead when its mixed.I would also think it depends on the design and the height of where the powerhead is placed in the unit.The powerhead may add more heat.I like the deltec model its a bit pricey.The Aqua Medic(kalk stirrer) is cheaper.I have the Octopus.Its a pretty basic unit.I think they will both give you the same results.The Deltec might be more expensive to replace(stir bar motor) if it breaks down.
Old 12/04/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

good point with have to replace the mechanical parts... ive been reading on the deltec forums, but there hasnt been many posts in there about their stirrer
Old 12/04/2007, 07:16 PM
I am a super nose picker

In general Deltec isn't cheap.The Aqua Medic is pretty good and they have 2 models.Geo is also supposed to be good.Make sure you use the right pump to top off as to not siphon out the kalk.I killed my tank when I was on vacation.My tunze overdosed kalk and then stopped working.So far with my new tank I am using the sp 3000(aqua medic) with a controller to dose kalk.I am using mostly for PH.Another person told me that even with the sp 3000 an overdose can happen(siphon out your top off water)I have had no problems so far but I did buy a float switch witch I will install.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

good call... I plan to set it up with my jbj auto top off unit with an aqualifter pump... thats what im using right now with my top off resevoir.
i'll be sure that the stirrer water level is higher than the top off resevoir water level so a siphon wont occur.

i think im goin with the deltec only bc i feel like im gettin a good deal off someone...
Old 12/04/2007, 07:40 PM
I am a super nose picker

well you won't go wrong with the deltec.In general they are expensive so if the price is good buy it.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhLipStyLz
i'll be sure that the stirrer water level is higher than the top off resevoir water level so a siphon wont occur.
The Deltec has a check valve on the input to prevent siphoning. Also, the kalkstirrer is nearly impossible to flood or leak because it is not pressurized like most units.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:17 PM
15 & Over Club

After all the research I did on various kalk reactors, I went with the GEO and Litermeter 3. I'm very happy with this setup!
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 12/04/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

slovan - thanks for the input. do you own one yourself? if so, what pump do you use to feed RO to it? im plannin on usin an aqualifter
Old 12/04/2007, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

I just sold mine last week. I'm going to run a calcium reactor only so no need to dose kalk anymore. GEO reactors are built like tanks and they are pretty nice. I had one before I bought the Deltec.

I use a LMIII to dose my top off. I've never tried it with an Aqualifter before. I don't know if it is powerful enough to pull water from your topoff and then feed your reactor, it might.
Old 12/04/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

were you happier with the deltec or GEO? any performance differences i should be aware of?
Old 12/04/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I would think that the powerhead might have more issues as well because of buildup of the substrate. There is a lot of buildup inside my container, and a powerhead would be a good place for it to build up rendering it useless. A stirrer has the motor external, or at least not exposed to the high pH and accumulation of deposits.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhLipStyLz
were you happier with the deltec or GEO? any performance differences i should be aware of?
It's more user preference than anything else. The pressurized reactors usually have a top flange that is fastened down with nylon bolts and wing nuts and sealed using an o-ring. The refill hole on top was kind of small so you had to use a funnel or be real careful not to spill it everywhere.

I just slept better at night with the Deltec because I knew it was virtually impossible to screw it up. Oh, and the Deltec is silent. If you have the tank in a living area, you might get annoyed when the maxijet comes on for 10-15 minutes to stir the reactor.