Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

drilling aga

I want to drill my 90 aga. Could you tell me the steps? What type of drill bit do I use? I was told the bottoms are tempered. That would mean I couldnt drill it.

Thanks for your time,

Jeff
Old 10/17/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

you could call a local glass shop and they will drill it for you. It cost me $15 for two wholes drilled. Or if you want to do it yourself, you can go and buy a $30 dollar diamond bit. put masking tape over where you want to drill, and use a squirt bottle to keep it wet. Make sure you drill as slow as you can, and dont apply pressure. Just let the bit do the work.

Its up to you. Personally i would take 30 mins and get it done for me, and not risk cracking the glass.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

http://richontools.com/catalog/i174.html
This will work for a 1" bulkhead.
It's easy to determine tempered or not by using a couple polarizing filters, camera filters work best but you can also use (polarized) sunglasses if they are tinted fairly light...

Press "1" for English.
Press "2" to disconnect until you learn to speak English.
Old 10/18/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

I drilled an AGA 55 it was a piece of cake. I have the links on this THREAD
Old 10/20/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Buy the bulkheads first, measure, then buy the drill bit. Bulkheads aren't a standard hole size, so it will vary.

Some online stores will have the dimensions listed for the bulkheads they carry, though.
Old 10/20/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

You can buy drill bits for glass from this guy on Ebay. Tell him you are drilling an AGA and he will send instructions. Link below. Also, the bottom of most AGA are tempered and you can not drill it. If you try it will cause the glass to break into a million little pieces. I am planning to drill a 180gal, 135gal and a 55gal within the next couple of weeks.

http://stores.ebay.com/Anytime-Tools...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 10/20/2007, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hllywd
http://richontools.com/catalog/i174.html
This will work for a 1" bulkhead.
It's easy to determine tempered or not by using a couple polarizing filters, camera filters work best but you can also use (polarized) sunglasses if they are tinted fairly light...
Daemonfly,
I've used SCH40 bulkheads from Premium Aquatics, Champion Lighting, Foster and Smith, and even the local Tractor Supply store. All have been a perfect fit for a 45mm hole saw. SCH80 definately are a different size and I've never used any so I can't comment on them, but, I believe the sizes are more standard than people like to warn about. If you can check of course do so.

jefnalyssa,
I would caution to check and be 100% sure of the temper status of the tank before drilling. Other than those two items this project is SIMPLE.
DO NOT (!!!) rely on somebody telling you the tank is tempered or not, get the polarized filters and check it for yourself!
1 filter on each side of the glass, in the sunshine using a cloud free sky as a background look through the lenses and rotate one of them till most of the light is blocked. Move both lenses across the glass looking for a splotchy appearance or light and dark patterns in the tank glass. Try it first on the SIDE (!!!) window of a car they are tempered for sure and you'll see the effect.

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Old 10/20/2007, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhantomLoneWolf
You can buy drill bits for glass from this guy on Ebay. Tell him you are drilling an AGA and he will send instructions. Link below. Also, the bottom of most AGA are tempered and you can not drill it. If you try it will cause the glass to break into a million little pieces. I am planning to drill a 180gal, 135gal and a 55gal within the next couple of weeks.

http://stores.ebay.com/Anytime-Tools...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
PhantomLoneWolf,

Those are pretty pricy compared to www.richon.com...

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Old 10/20/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Tim,
I checked out the www.richon.com website, but it is for makeup. Must be a mistake. The guy on Ebay had the best price I could find for a good quality bit that will last for multi holes.

Thanks,
Duane

Quote:
Originally posted by hllywd
PhantomLoneWolf,

Those are pretty pricy compared to www.richon.com...

Tim

Old 10/20/2007, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Oops... sorry... www.richontools.com
my bad!

Tim

Press "1" for English.
Old 10/20/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Here's an awesome thread on tank drilling. I have just drilled my second tank. After the first practice hole was done, the rest were a piece of cake. Slow and steady....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=603816