Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2004, 03:42 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i'm taking a LOT of pics

just got my reflector, socket, and 10k Ushio bulb....BUT fedex messed up and i didn't recieve my ballast they were both overnighted at the SAME time...not sure how they screwed that one up.

well i got the TWO reflectors cut and made into ONE big one. this way i have the 10k and 20K about 2" apart in the SAME reflector...so they mix and i don't have a 1/2 blue and 1/2 white tank!! i'll post the pics later. gotta get my lifting done because MY wedding ring is done and the fiancee and i are going to look at it after she gets off work...i'm excited to see what i get....it is a ROCK..a mens solitare... .80 carot!!!!!!!! BLING BLING...and big pimpin'

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 06/07/2004, 04:25 PM
Brace yourself!

So where are these mysterious pictures?
Old 06/07/2004, 06:41 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

uploading

and fedex DID screw up. ballast won't be here till tomorrow

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/07/2004, 06:57 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

here are the pics

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/07/2004, 07:05 PM
Master of Disaster

Can`t wait to see it when you get the other 400 fired up.

Life is Tough, But It's Tougher if You're Stupid --John Wayne

Freedom is Flying
Go Spurs!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/07/2004, 09:40 PM
TRC Leader

http://www.lunchbucket.org/two%20400w%20MH's.htm

What a strange looking URL!

I liked your webpage. Do you think there is any possibility that the heat of both bulbs being on for a long duration only 2" apart might shorten their lifespan?
Old 06/08/2004, 02:27 AM
Premium Member

The new lighting setup looks great. Can't wait to see how well both bulbs blend together.
Old 06/08/2004, 05:34 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

does that page load slow for anyone else?? or is it just my net?

melev - thanks...yeah the URL is weird...no idea why it is like that. not sure it will shorten the lifespan. geshields had ran a setup like this for quite some time now. i am only planning on running them both on for like 4hrs...maybe 6hrs MAX...the 20K will be on for 10hrs.

Travis - thanks yeah i can't wait to see what they 10k adds...and also how the corals respond

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/08/2004, 07:33 AM
TRC Leader

Yes, the page was slow and the pictures even slower. I was guessing that Lunchbucket is hosting this on his laptop perhaps?

I was looking at your lighting last night, and thought that if you were to separate the fans a little, they could blow cool air along the side of each bulb, and that might avoid a problem with the neighboring bulbs.
Old 06/08/2004, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

I'm also curious to see if you are able to ignite the bulbs at different times. i.e. You will have the 20k on all day but the 10k for only a few hours. That means the 20k will be burning for a while before the 10k ignites. I'm wondering if the heat given off from the 20k will cause the 10k to not ignite.
Old 06/08/2004, 05:26 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

gesheilds has the SAME set up. he hasn't had a problem his 10k is on for 30min intervals too i think

melev - i host on a server and not my laptop. i need to move those fans out too....i just didn't ahve time...when i wire up the ballast tomorrow i will move them..fedex FINALLY delivered it

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/08/2004, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Glad to see ya finally got the ballast. FedExe really screwed that up.

I have had this exact lighting setup over my 58G for about 1 year now..I can fire each bulb independently with no problem. The other advantage is that there is absolutely no "striping" effect.

Greg
Old 06/08/2004, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Gonna hafta update that signature now Eric!
Hey man, been reading this thread w/ some real interest. the tank looks great! you've also been giving me a serious incentive to get my 58 up and running.
I'm almost there, and will bore you to tears w/ the details later.
I just wanted to congratulate you on another awesome set up.
Nick
Old 06/09/2004, 05:28 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

geshields - thanks buddy!! not sure what the fedex guys in your area are smoking LOL glad i got it and can't wait to fire it up this after noon!!!

no problems w/ bulbs not firing! that is what i thought. you seen any problems w/ premature bulb failure or color shift? don't know why you would but that seems to be everyones concern

maxxII - good catch i will get to updating that ASAP thank you very much. i think the 58 is a PERFECT sized smaller reef. they have nice depth and height and are good side to side...just a almost "perfect reef tank" IMO. hope to see what you are gonna do w/ yours! i am trying to get a good set up...we will see what happens in a few months!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/09/2004, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

The iwasaki 6.5k bulbs are the ones that won't fire hot.

www.kicbak.com/fishtanks/main.php
Old 06/09/2004, 10:28 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

ok now i remember why i LOVE 20k bulbs. the 10k looks like CRAP IMO. the purples are stronger but too yellow IMO...i think a reef should have a tint of blue to it...and when the 20k and the 10k run together it is too yellow for me...just not what i like.

i am thinking of running the 10k anyhow...it will be for 4hrs MAX when i am not home usually. would get some better growth (i have a TON now and some different coloring)

or running 2x400w 20k

i need to get the timer hooked up so i can run the 10k for 30min today and the rest of the week, then 45min next week, then 1hr after that...etc. don't want to shock anything too much. we will see what happens.

i have pics just need some time to upload them (off to traing kids) so i will post later about 1pm or so

later
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/09/2004, 10:43 AM
Premium Member

Just remember that the Ushio will require a burn in period. The extra colors that your corals take on and the growth will be worth it.

Also, you have been 20K'd for too long...give it time...hehe

Remember, I run my 20K and 10K bulbs with 4 VHO actinics.

Greg
Old 06/09/2004, 10:46 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Lunch, looking good so far!!

The % in the URL are from using spaces in the file names. spaces are a no no on the Internet, IE fixes it by substituting the % in place. Use a _ in place of the space and all will work and look fine. Linux and MAC people will like you too.

The MH should be fine next to each other. MH do well in heat, so there should be no problem with less life out of them. VHO and PC like it to be cool but MH is the opposite.

All MH lamps generally need a 3-5 minutes time out when re-igniting. the lamp just needs to cool a little before it will re-fire
Old 06/09/2004, 10:50 AM
cnidarian vigilante

Ushio should look much better with around 100 hours on it.
Old 06/09/2004, 01:40 PM
TRC Leader

Lunchbucket's URL had an apostrophe in it as well, and I couldn't believe it worked!
Old 06/09/2004, 01:52 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

here are the pics w/ the 10K!!!

hope these work ok. please let me know what you think.

the pics i took yesterday load slow and the ones i did today go fast. but i turned my camera down to 640x480 today...it WAS on the highest resolution yesterday so i have a feeling that is doing it i can get my way around the net, webpages, and cameras but i am no pro so please stick w/ me

thanks for the tip JBNY...i used the _ on the Ushio page

geshields - yeah i knew the ushio had a burn in period and i am sure it will get more crisp. just my eyes aren't used to the 10k...never been a huge fan. i am sure i will some extra color and growth and it will make me happy happy happy!!! i would love to use 4VHO actinics...but no more $$ and i can do w/ 800w of MH on my tank

melev - LOL oops...sorry about that...i will try to fix it i don't do web stuff enough to be mindful of things like that

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/09/2004, 02:00 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

here is the fixed url for the 20k and 10k set up

- maxxII-
Old 06/09/2004, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Lunch,
I don't know if it is just my browser, but your pictures aren't left to right. (the pics showing the differences in tank color) No biggie, just thought you might want to know.

Awesome looking tank!!
Old 06/09/2004, 02:27 PM
TRC Leader

Much nicer URL, Lunch.

Btw, I recently got my XM 10,000Ks and they were so yellow for the first week. After about 10 days, I liked them better. Crisp white, slightly blue. Not enough so that actinics aren't necessary, but they looked much better than my Ushio's that were a year old.
Old 06/09/2004, 02:33 PM
TRC Leader

The tank looks great with both lights on. I'd keep those on all day long.