Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2004, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Put it in the oven at 200F for 5 minutes, of the sun if it is a warm day. It should return to its original shape then.

Btw, 1.5" plumbing is what you are supposed to use on your Mag 9.5 to get maximum flow. 3/4" is majorly restrictive.
melev:

Not to start a fight but look at the specs on mag 9.5, lunch should be using black 3/4" ID vinyl tubing, 3/4"' inlet 3/4" outlet not 1 1/2".

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_....asp?ast=&key=
Old 05/29/2004, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Lunch is your overflow into your sump still a stright down if so put a 90 in and have it enter underwater to reduce bubbles. Now you can add an over the back sump return from your chiller or ca reactor only but its more work . I suggest you find a different way to get your ca reactor into your tank. The only thing coming off my sump return after the chiller is my refugium inlet.

Fahz
Old 05/29/2004, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Lunch:

I tried to figure your loss with 1/2" and the chiller 5' of head loss and 3 90's and figure your at about 300GPH. Which is the minmum I still suggest 3/4" just incase I'm wrong. Do you have a Menards or HD in Brookings as this is a stock item.

Fahz
Old 05/29/2004, 11:04 PM
TRC Leader

Fahz,

I'm merely pointing out what Danner MFG clearly states in their instructions with every Mag pump. Whatever the diameter of the inlet and outlet threads are, double it for your plumbing ID size. With the Mag 9.5's 3/4" outlet, you'll need 1.5" plumbing to get better flow.

Lunchbucket just proved that with massively slowed flow. He's not the first, and I've been posting this for some time on RC. Whenever people adhere to the advice given in the instruction sheet, they are fully satisfied.

Sorry to hear about your Ca Reactor issues... you are sharing the pump with several items? If so, I'd suggest you get a back-up pump in case this one fails, so you're system can keep running.
Old 05/30/2004, 10:48 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

fahz - yeah i have an ACE and some farm supply stores. i PLANNED on getting some 3/4" tube today...no way this 1/2 is staying. how did you get from 3/4" to the 1/2" or 5/8" on the chiller output. did you just use a 1/2" reducer on a 3/4" female? i think i might use a threaded coupling and add the 1/2" hose x 3/4" thread fitting (that i have now) in one end adn add a 3/4" MPT x 3/4" hose barb...should be an easy way to up it and down it. you have it all 3/4" except right at the chiller right? how much flow you getting??

melev - i hear you on what danner recommends...i've seen that before

ok should i keep the ca reactro on the return pump? it has its own ballvalve to control the flow to it...so it shouldn't be a problem and has it's own union to disconnect quick. otherwise i can use the maxijet 1200 i just took off the chiller.

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 05/30/2004, 11:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbucket
fahz - yeah i have an ACE and some farm supply stores. i PLANNED on getting some 3/4" tube today...no way this 1/2 is staying. how did you get from 3/4" to the 1/2" or 5/8" on the chiller output. did you just use a 1/2" reducer on a 3/4" female? i think i might use a threaded coupling and add the 1/2" hose x 3/4" thread fitting (that i have now) in one end adn add a 3/4" MPT x 3/4" hose barb...should be an easy way to up it and down it. you have it all 3/4" except right at the chiller right? how much flow you getting??Dang were dealing with two different kinds of chillers Arctica goes up to 3/4" fitting. Use a reducer to go from 3/4" tubing to 5/8" fitting into the chiller this should increase your flow by 50+ GPH and bring you over 300 GPH. On my Arctica chiller I figure I'm getting about 450GPH with 3/4" tubing.

ok should i keep the ca reactro on the return pump? it has its own ballvalve to control the flow to it...so it shouldn't be a problem and has it's own union to disconnect quick. otherwise i can use the maxijet 1200 i just took off the chiller.
Where does the reactor dump back into your system?
Old 05/30/2004, 12:43 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

fahz - ahh sorry i forgot you had the artica!! oops i have it ALL 3/4" black vinyl to the chiller inputs and i have it reduced RIGHT at the input to 1/2" tube..then 1/2" right after it straight into 3/4" up through the overflow. i didn't see a HUGE increase in flow...but i think there was some increase. i WISH that i could use 3/4"

the inputs are threaded...you know what i am talking about. the angled hose barbs they ahve on these chillers....they are threaded on the nuts that hold them on....wonder if i could get a female that would fit that...then i could use WHATEVER size i wanted. i have some extra hose barbs and nuts that were included w/ the chiller...might have to take them to the hardware store and see if they won't thread up w/ something....that would be PERFECT!!

the flow is WAY less than when i had it just straight up to the tank (angled over a foot) but i THINK i should be running more than the maxijet 1200 was and i am thinking i am over 300gph...wouldn't you think??

the reactor dumps into the sump. it isn't perfectly optimal but the return pump feeds the reactor and it dumps back into the sump chamber right next to the ca reactor.

i am trying to figure out another way to feed the chiller but i am NOT sure if i need it....do you think this would work out ok??

thanks for all the help...i HATE little problems like this
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/30/2004, 12:48 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

i was thinking about using the blueline MD 30x pump on a HOT closed loop to feed the chiller. i could add the inlet/strainer in overflow and have it dump into the tank for some more flow...600gph+?? and have it feed the chiller good??

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/30/2004, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
fahz - ahh sorry i forgot you had the artica!! oops i have it ALL 3/4" black vinyl to the chiller inputs and i have it reduced RIGHT at the input to 1/2" tube..then 1/2" right after it straight into 3/4" up through the overflow. i didn't see a HUGE increase in flow...but i think there was some increase. i WISH that i could use 3/4" !!Need to get that 1/2" out as it's a restrictor.

the inputs are threaded...you know what i am talking about. the angled hose barbs they ahve on these chillers....they are threaded on the nuts that hold them on....wonder if i could get a female that would fit that...then i could use WHATEVER size i wanted. i have some extra hose barbs and nuts that were included w/ the chiller...might have to take them to the hardware store and see if they won't thread up w/ something....that would be PERFECTthe flow is WAY less than when i had it just straight up to the tank (angled over a foot) but i THINK i should be running more than the maxijet 1200 was and i am thinking i am over 300gph...wouldn't you think??The extra fittings may be the 5/8" fittings Arctica sent 1/2 5/8 and 3/4 fittings with. On your Maxijet its only rated for 295 GPH but with head loss and friction loss you had to be down to next to nothing. I'm thinking your around the minmum of 300 GPM.

the reactor dumps into the sump. it isn't perfectly optimal but the return pump feeds the reactor and it dumps back into the sump chamber right next to the ca reactor.OK so your feeding your reactor about the same way I'm feeding my refugium, slow feed into the sump should work OK.

i am trying to figure out another way to feed the chiller but i am NOT sure if i need it....do you think this would work out ok??Would like to see you get a little more out of your Mag 9.5 but as long as your getting 300+ minmum you should be good to go.

thanks for all the help...i HATE little problems like this This should get your chiller on the right track so you have time to rethink the plumping if you want to change it down the road.
Lunchbucket
Old 05/31/2004, 10:18 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

yeah the 1/2" is ONLY about 2" on each side....i THINK the hose barb on there adn the extra are the SAME size!! they have a 2-3" area toward the front that is small then the hose barb gets bigger on the back side...liek the front is 1/2" and th back is 5/8" i will have to dig out the other set and see.

the chiller kept my tank w/in 2degrees yesterday!!!

just need to figure out a way to get a little more flow out of it i think. i emailed PCI and asked if they knew if ANY PVC fit those screw on portions of the chiller where the hose barbs attach. that would be nice if some 1.5" females fit on there...i could just use spa flex 1" on that for some EXTRA flow

thanks for everyone helping me w/ this!! hope it is figured out and i HOPE i can get a little more out of it

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/31/2004, 12:07 PM
Premium Member

It sounds like you are getting your chiller problem straightened out. IME, inline chillers work best when you are flowing as close as possible to the MAX flow of the chiller.
Old 05/31/2004, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Lunch:

Just so you know what your dealing with max flow through 1/2" plastic pipe is 600 GPH. The chiller coil 90 degree elbows and head loss are going to cut that in half at least. So you see your at about 300 GPH or less outflow. Even though you only have a short piece of 1/2" it still will only allow 600 GPH through it. Now that may be why the chiller max inflow is 600 GPH is because the chiller coil is only 1/2".

Fahz
Old 05/31/2004, 04:56 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

travis - yeah i think i got it figured out. it only fluctuated 2 degrees.

fahz - ahh i see. i am SURE the internal part of the chiller is all 1/2" I WISH it was bigger. that way you don't get so much loss.

so you think i am running 300gph MAX???

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 05/31/2004, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

so you think i am running 300gph MAX???
Lunchbucket
Lunch if it was a fire pumper I could give you a better answer. Its just an educated guess figuring head loss and 90's. When I was setting mine up I read somewhere that the chiller coil cuts the flow by a little less then half. The only way a guy could tell is by doing a flow test which is to much work. If it's doing the job I guess you just be happy.

Fahz
Old 06/01/2004, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

I've never been able to find anything that states how much head chillers create. I sent Aqua Logic a couple emails asking them how much my chiller created and no response. I would bet that cutting the flow in 1\2 would be a pretty good estimate.
Old 06/01/2004, 10:05 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

nice the get back to you to let you know how much you KILL the flow

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/01/2004, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Lunch - quick question as I have the same chiller - is it correct that the more flow you can get through the chiller then the better the performance you will achieve - i.e. - less switching on and off?

Balla
Old 06/01/2004, 10:12 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

balla - yes to a point. but if you get over 600gph you might have problems too. just make sure you are w/ing the guidlines!!

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/06/2004, 09:33 AM
Master of the Box Lunch

added a "tongal sand conch" i am guessing it is a fighting conch but the shell looks a little different. i need to get a pic up so some people can help me identify it.

also added a peppermint shrimp. the one i had for a LONG LONG time (over 2years at least) died and i have NO idea why. it ate apitasia like a mad mad and now that he/she is gone i have some poping up and needed to get another one that would eat them. so i am keeping my fingers crossed that this one will otherwise i will ahve to add another...and another till someone eats them up!!!!

tank is doing great. got my ca reactor all dialed in adn keeping my alk up i have a LOT of little spots of coraline starting on the return plumbing, closed loop inlet and outlets, a couple on the overflow, and the rock is getting AMAZING looking. freaking corals are growing like mad too.

my 400w 10K ushio, ballast, and 2 spider light reflectors will be here monday...and i have off in the afternoon/night....so i will have 2x400w (20k and 10k) on my tank before tuesday hope to get some extra growth and color out of my SPS using the 10k "supplimentation" will run the 20k 10hrs/day and the 10k about 4-6hrs. will have to do a SLOW break in though. prolly 30min ON..1hr off, 30on etc etc. up to the 4hr total time mark then every week up it by 15min on. the 20k will still be on the 10hrs so nothing will be hurting for light!

talk to you all soon, hope to get some pics
Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/06/2004, 12:32 PM
TRC Leader

Does your conch look like this perhaps?

http://sparklingfloorservice.com/mel...404/conch.html
Old 06/06/2004, 03:19 PM
lift it up tallways

Great pics Marc. Very cool animal.

We got a Queen Conch a couple of years ago when we ordered a figting conch. Definately my favorite animal in the tank. She doesn't glide across the sand though... I describe it more like "bucking" across the sand.
Old 06/06/2004, 07:33 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

melev - sorry not a queen. they had a queen there. it is more smooth like a fighting conch. i'll try to get some pics later

i thought about a queen but figured it would get TOO big for the 58gal...really fast

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/06/2004, 07:40 PM
TRC Leader

Lunch, the URL I pointed you to is a Crown Conch, not a Queen.
Old 06/06/2004, 07:52 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

oops my bad

Lunchbucket

- maxxII-
Old 06/06/2004, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Lunch - hanging to see the pic's/ Pull out the kodak and go click happy.

Balla