Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

sharing my 4 day weekend of hard work

started the weekend as----

not bad; but it had crappy flow and not enough rock; it was on a dresser; no canopy, no sump.

after 96hours of straight work.

Old 10/31/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

can you find the fish?

still a bit cloudy from tearing the whole thing down; the sand has to settle. but not too bad considering.

in the coming weeks Ill be adding some metal halide lighting so its brighter and no so yellow. along with a skimmer finally which is already plumbed in the sump.
Old 10/31/2005, 11:41 AM
keyboard cowboy

looks nice....I love foxface's too :-)....I see you switched from blue to a black background, I have accually been thinking of switching the other way from a black to a blue background. I find with the black background my foxface does not get his 100% colour. Some say it is because they never 100% think it is day with a black background. Right now I have half the background off as an experament. Also please tell me you are not using that hydrometer in your fuge to tell your salinity. Please save yourself a huge headache and get a refractometer.

p.s. is your fuge too full?? if the power went out would it overflow?
Old 10/31/2005, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

TANK

GREAT START TO A GREAR HOBBY,CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT IN FUTURE.
Old 10/31/2005, 11:43 AM
Team RC Member

Looks alot better! Make sure you have enough flow or that cyano will come right back.
Old 10/31/2005, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

the blue was a plastic sheet thing you can find in fish stores, and I hated it; any drips down the back were visible between the glass and the sheet. so this time while it was on the driveway being drilled I painted it black. I feel like the rock stands out more with the darker background. but eventually itll all be purple anyway hopefully.

the sump rises about .25" in water level when its off. I drilled the syphon break above the water line so the syphon never starts on the return. I tested it a few times and there is 4 holes total on the return lines to break the syphon so I feel pretty safe there.

I had to nix my penguin 330 filter which was just acting as a powerhead/media holder because it was too wide after the overflow was in; but in tradeoff I have an extra powerhead and the mag 9.5 return pump; total flow around 1800gph I think; which is only around 24x or so; Ill probably add another powerhead eventually. but it seems much better distributed because the penguin was more of a trickle; despite its 330gph it did nothing more than ripple the surface a bit.

I need to push the rock back;when I was placing it I was just trying to get it into the tank with plans to really aquascape at a later date, but I like how the left side came out; except its too far foward. Ill fix that and add 20 or 30 lbs to the right side to balance it out.
Old 10/31/2005, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Nice transformation. Good work!
Old 10/31/2005, 01:15 PM
Will Work for Live Rock

What, you hit the lottery or something? That is a huge formatio over a few days, that's nice. now time to sit back and have a cold one and enjoy.

It's the Journey that makes the Destination so sweet

C. Taylor, M.Ed.
Old 10/31/2005, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Does the sump level look a little high, or is it just me?
Old 10/31/2005, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoSchwag
Does the sump level look a little high, or is it just me?
I second that! ... did you run troubleshooting of what will happen when pumps/siphons/overflows don't work properly and how much water will flow here and there ... maybe your draining too much water and not pumping enough back in ...
Old 10/31/2005, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I tested the power outage theory by cutting off everything, only thing that mattered was the return pump though; and as I mentioned, very minimal backwash.

basicly the water in the lines. because the overflow is so long(24x3) the equalibrium water level when running is only maybe a few mm over the overflow; so when the pump goes off theres not much water to be drained out.

only way I can think of that it could fail is if the overflow leaked; which if it did; thats a potential 12g or so that would come rushing into the sump. with a 20g sump; I cant really leave 12g of it open for overflow in case the glass cracks.

If somehow it did happen though; worst case; 12g overflows from where the drain is actually in the back of the tank. the stand floor is sealed and would hold the 12g without any other damage.

as for the lottery; I had the extra LR, interestingly enough; thats a whopping 15lb difference. it was curing in the 20g tank prior to it becoming the sump. other than that; it was about 350$ for everything upgraded, a vast majority of it being the stand and canopy wood, the other part being the plumbing.
Old 10/31/2005, 02:26 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

he said the answer to that some posts up. :0

very nice though. great improvement.
Old 10/31/2005, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

I'm still trying to figure out how he is keeping the water in those sideways tanks...

Old 10/31/2005, 03:21 PM
THIS IS THE YEAR-GO CUBS

it is a new gel water.
Old 10/31/2005, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

ares ares ares
Old 10/31/2005, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Great job!
Old 10/31/2005, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Looks better! That light sitting on the corner of the sump would worry me...can you mount it to the stand or something?
Old 10/31/2005, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

its temporary; eventually Ill hang the 48" light under there I think; thatll get the fuge glowing and the algea growing.
Old 11/01/2005, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

just didnt even figure out who i was did you