Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

should I move my anemone?

I just bought a white sebae anemone. I put it on top of my rocks close to the light with good flow. The next night I think my pencil urchan knocked it off now it is on the very bottom. All I have for light is a 48'' coralife 65watt x 4 bulb pc. It was upsydown but it flipped itself over. I have a tomatoe clown and a percula clown. That seem to be ignoring it. Should I pick it up and move it higher up with better lighting or leave it alone?
Old 01/05/2008, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

An urchin shouldnt be able to knock an anemone over it must be sick if its foot isnt firmly attached to something
Old 01/05/2008, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

it doesn't really matter where you move it to. if it isn't happy, it will move by itself.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pikelk
it doesn't really matter where you move it to. if it isn't happy, it will move by itself.
They keep moving all the time, that why mine got moved to the fish tank.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Yep they will move on there own. Just when you think that it has found its happy spot it will move.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:50 PM
Bucket Reefer

Sorry, but I doubt you will get it to attach under the lighting conditions you are offering it. Its going to need a tank with HO T5s or halides to survive.
Old 01/05/2008, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

LFS told me so!

The LFS lady told me it was a bubbletip anemone and didn't need very much lighting. I later figured out that it is a sebae anemone. They won't take it back for trade . Any suggestions?
Old 01/05/2008, 07:59 PM
Bucket Reefer

Re: LFS told me so!

Quote:
Originally posted by kware
The LFS lady told me it was a bubbletip anemone and didn't need very much lighting. I later figured out that it is a sebae anemone. They won't take it back for trade . Any suggestions?
Insist that they miss identified it and take it back for a real bubble tip. At least bubble tips can survive under lower lighting conditions. With a sebae you have very little chance.

Last edited by Aquabucket; 01/05/2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

it's my owne fault for impulse buying an anemone and trusting the word of someone else at the fish store
Old 01/05/2008, 08:07 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I had a bubble tip in a 55 gallon for almost a year with a 4x65 watt PC fixture and it was fine. Then I sold the tank and everything in it. I am sure a LFS will allow him to be traded in. If they dont then go somewhere els eor sell him on your local reef message boards.

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 01/05/2008, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

I don't know what to do. I don't have anyone to take this anemone and I don't want it to die
Old 01/05/2008, 08:56 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

If it really is a sebae, ( H. Crispa ) is it going to prefer the sandbed, not on the rockwork like an BTA. The fact that it is white is not a good sign, it means it is bleached. They can be brought back from that condition but I feel that the lights that you have will hamper that. Try to give it frequent, yet small, feedings.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Okay I'll try the frequent but small feedings what do you think for feeding? Anything special for it's condition. Should I move it closer to the light?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:04 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

What ever is going to be easiest for you to get -- I personally use krill and silversides for my anemones.

While it would be good to get it closer to the lights, I don't feel that it will stay there, since it is natural for them to be on the sandbed.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the advice