Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2003, 08:47 AM
Shaolin Reefer

Olympus C5050

Anybody use an Olympus C5050? Show me a macro taken with that camera, if you have one, and give me your thoughts on the camera.

I'm currently shooting with a Coolpix 4300, and am wondering how the C5050 compares. Two things that I hear about the C5050 that I prefer to the 4300 are 1) f/1.8 (4300 is only 2.8) and 2) that extra megapixel.

Downside is there are less scene modes, but not sure if that's too important to me.

Thanks!

HD
Old 09/13/2003, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

http://www.dpreview.com
Old 09/15/2003, 08:37 AM
Shaolin Reefer

Yeah, I'd have to search for quite a long time to find coral macro pics there.

Well, I borrowed a C5050 for a few weeks, and got my first chance playing with it yesterday. I must say, this is a nice camera. I have some bones to pick with it- it's not very user friendly, and it took me forever to figure out how to do relatively simple things. But once you get the hang of it, there are some nice features that my 4300 is lacking.

I will have some nice macro shots to share once I get around to cropping and resizing.
Old 09/15/2003, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

All of the pictures on these two sites:

http://www.tampabayreef.com/pastmeeting.html
http://www.liquidchaos.net
http://www.liquidchaos.net/linkedimages

were taken with the C4040. The 5050 is essentially the same camera with a few upgrades. The macro is a little better, and obviously its a 5mp vs 4mp.

Here's a couple of choice shots of various marine shots:

From Ray Reeds tank

From Rocky Hermans tank

From Ray Reeds tank

From the Florida Aquarium

From my tank

From my tank

The Benwood wreck in Key Largo

Outside somewhere...not marine obviously, but a good demo of the macro ability
Old 09/15/2003, 04:16 PM
Shaolin Reefer

Excellent, Matt, thanks!
Old 09/15/2003, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

There are some interesting 5050 SW-pics photographed by James posted in the Olympus Talk forum at DPR, for example here and here.