Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/14/2003, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast

Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast.

My first concern was hopitals (luckily they have generators). Then I thought of all the people in elevators, BUT then I thought of all the reef tanks and all the HELPLESS inhabitants.

I hope the news is wrong and the power is up before the day is out.

Old 08/14/2003, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

My Prayers are with you all

My thoughts and Prayers are also with you all... on the East coast.
Old 08/14/2003, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

My Power just came back, tanks look fine, thank god.
Old 08/14/2003, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

In about 2-3 months I plan to purchase a gas-powered backup generator. A friend who is a licensed electrician is going to help me install the wiring "harness" to the panel. I plan to take dig. pics and document it, it doesn't seem to be that difficult, and I will post a link for any reefers who are thinking about getting a generator. I figure $400 or so for the gen, and about $150-200 for the breaker panel and misc. stuff. If you're interested in this, post a reply here - if there's enough interest, I may do it sooner.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 08/14/2003, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

In about 2-3 months I plan to purchase a gas-powered backup generator. A friend who is a licensed electrician is going to help me install the wiring "harness" to the panel. I plan to take dig. pics and document it, it doesn't seem to be that difficult, and I will post a link for any reefers who are thinking about getting a generator. I figure $400 or so for the gen, and about $150-200 for the breaker panel and misc. stuff. If you're interested in this, post a reply here - if there's enough interest, I may do it sooner.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 08/14/2003, 10:26 PM
Reef Mama

There were people stuck up-side-down on rollercoasters at "Six Flags", according to the news! People were stuck in Subway cars and elevators for hours.
"Dolphins like to swim with tunas, the only problem is sometimes they get caught in tuna cans" Ray, 6
Old 08/14/2003, 10:45 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarfish
In about 2-3 months I plan to purchase a gas-powered backup generator. A friend who is a licensed electrician is going to help me install the wiring "harness" to the panel.

i come from maine and in the winter loseing power is a way of life ....generators are the best.......im not sure how it works but my friend has his wired into his main box with a type of relay so if the incoming power is interupted. the relay closes and the generator automaticly starts up and supplies power to the heating system , fridge. certaiin lights and the tv, stereo. (cable is usually still working if the power goes out . just thought id add the auto start to your dream for you. oh it powers up in about 5 seconds after the outage. your fish wouldnt even notice to much other than the halides coming back on after a few mins....if you have them.........jaime
Old 08/14/2003, 10:47 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarfish
In about 2-3 months I plan to purchase a gas-powered backup generator. A friend who is a licensed electrician is going to help me install the wiring "harness" to the panel.

i come from maine and in the winter loseing power is a way of life ....generators are the best.......im not sure how it works but my friend has his wired into his main box with a type of relay so if the incoming power is interupted. the relay closes and the generator automaticly starts up and supplies power to the heating system , fridge. certaiin lights and the tv, stereo. (cable is usually still working if the power goes out . just thought id add the auto start to your dream for you. oh it powers up in about 5 seconds after the outage. your fish wouldnt even notice to much other than the halides coming back on after a few mins....if you have them.........jaime
Old 08/14/2003, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wopr
My Power just came back, tanks look fine, thank god.

Glad to hear that wopr !!!

Hope to hear more good news from others.
Old 08/15/2003, 12:23 AM
Yellow Shirt MACNA Peon

Fort Lee, NJ called a few minutes ago saying they had power again. So somebody is doing something right.

For the rest of you, curl up with your 9 mm and your last cold one and wait it out. Good luck.

S !

"With great power comes great responsibility"
"PMAS VP has no powers"
Old 08/15/2003, 06:30 AM
Registered Member

whopr, Where are you located? Im in burlington and we got power around 12:30 last night but most of ontario doesnt have power still this morning and they still expect blackouts as the load gets more over the day.

Jeff
Old 08/15/2003, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefguy11
whopr, Where are you located?
Belleville. Power came back around 10:20pm.

I take care of Gov. Firewalls around Ontario, and a few still aren't back yet. My phone is ringing off the hook! I guess these people need their email....
Old 08/15/2003, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

I take care of firewalls in MD, KY and NY, and a mail system in NY. We're up & running, though we were on backup generators until 2am. However, I'm noticing a lot of mail isn't going out because the destination servers or intermediary routers are down. This is one for the books.
Old 08/15/2003, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

power came on at 8:00am doing water changes till 4:00am 3 casualties
Old 08/15/2003, 10:01 PM
Moved On

your is no disgrace............sorry for your loss......a yes fan from way back.........jaime
Old 08/16/2003, 02:29 PM
RC Mod

Re: Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by ivyvine1
Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast.
Oh sure, prayers to the East Coast, but nothin' for those of us in the middle? Come on, we were without power for longer than most of NY.
JK
Old 08/17/2003, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine Oh sure, prayers to the East Coast, but nothin' for those of us in the middle?

Middle ...... what middle . Oh THAT middle, the middle is what keeps the east and the west connected.

Seriously, glad to hear the power is coming back on and that the losses have been minimal. Unfortunately, it takes something like this to get some of us thinking about getting prepared for emergencies.
Old 08/17/2003, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast and the Middle

Sorry for the double post ...... I got excited and wanted to quickly apologize to the people in the middle.
Old 08/18/2003, 01:44 PM
RC Mod

Re: Re: Re: Prayers go out to EVERYONE on the East Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by ivyvine1
Middle ...... what middle . Oh THAT middle, the middle is what keeps the east and the west connected.
Yep, we're that stretch of land that makes the flight from New York to LA 5 hours instead of the 1 that it should logically be.