Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnyX

I have to say that of all the tanks that I have seen yours is my favourite.
When my tank grows up it'll be like yours...
Old 12/26/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NaH2Ofreak

Man that's clean! How do you do it? It's looks like it's just been set up. Including the sand!
Cleanliness is godliness they say....
Old 12/26/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Open Space, Minimal Liverock for my 120. The Backwall will be covered in sps in a month once the tank is settled. It's only 6 weeks old.

Old 12/30/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gasman059
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
Here's more.......

short of kips and oregon that is the must beautifl scape around IMO.
Then again is all a matter of taste since that reef is not aN SPS.
Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
Yep, that's exactly the point...........the aquascape makes the tank outstanding. It has nothing to go with the types of corals. Sure, there's some nice colored dendros in there, but most of the stuff is bland colored & common softies, nems & clams.

Here is the thing that bothers me about this picture. The aquascaping is stunning, but this IMO is not a reef tank. This is clearly an example of someone buying a ton of livestock, slapping it in a nice big tank, arranging it to look pretty, and taking a picture. The dendronepthyas pretty much give this fact away. I have a really hard time believing that someone is able to have thriving dendros (non-photosynthetic and unable to compete well in a lighted environment) and creatures that need a lot of light in the same tank. It isn't impossible necessarily. But considering that very very few have managed keeping dendros in dedicated systems, it is extremely unlikely. This is merely an art piece that was only ever designed so that the creator could take a few pretty photos. While a good example of aquascaping, it is a terrible example for a reef tank.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

Here's our 500...

Old 12/30/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

THAT...IS....AWESOME
Old 12/30/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is the thing that bothers me about this picture. The aquascaping is stunning, but this IMO is not a reef tank. This is clearly an example of someone buying a ton of livestock, slapping it in a nice big tank, arranging it to look pretty, and taking a picture. The dendronepthyas pretty much give this fact away. I have a really hard time believing that someone is able to have thriving dendros (non-photosynthetic and unable to compete well in a lighted environment) and creatures that need a lot of light in the same tank. It isn't impossible necessarily. But considering that very very few have managed keeping dendros in dedicated systems, it is extremely unlikely. This is merely an art piece that was only ever designed so that the creator could take a few pretty photos. While a good example of aquascaping, it is a terrible example for a reef tank.
Don't want to get off topic here but..........

Actually that tank is from a coral farming company that runs the system with natural saltwater piped in. They apparently are very environmentally conscious. They're propagating & selling those softies. http://www.cpfarm.com/

Here's an old thread about the company.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=166253

Apparently they are doing something right, as they're still in business five years later. Whether customers are having that same success I wouldn't know. I'd like to see an updated pic of that tank & I understand your sentiments.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Here's our 500...

OH MY LAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your tank is absolutely beautiful. I love the mature stags. Your tank just earned a spot as my computer wallpaper for a while. Very nice job.