Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

Aga Megaflow

recently bought a 90g AGA and i was wondering how the megaflow worked. As in..how to get it started and all that.
Old 09/03/2007, 11:31 PM
Latenight Reefer

It comes with the durso standpipe right and the return piping with the lock-line. So put the standpipe in the larger hole and adjust its height so the top of it is just below the teeth in the overflow. Then put the return tubing in the smaller hole and screw in the lock-line.
Old 09/03/2007, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

i got all that done, i was wondering like...how it works, it is a siphon?
Old 09/03/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

i just bought a 72AGA megaflow, setting it up this week, but yea its a siphon, i bought a rio 2500 for the return (rated 600-700gph @ 3 feet)
Old 09/03/2007, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

cool, how do you start it? ahha
Old 09/04/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moo0o
cool, how do you start it? ahha
thats a good question as this is my first drilled setup, but im going to assume gravity
Old 09/04/2007, 12:29 AM
Premium Member

hahaha ok, i really hope thats how it works haha
Old 09/04/2007, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

before you wet-test it, make sure (SURE) that your tubes have anti-syphon holes drilled in them. I have a 90G AGA tank too, and my overflow kit pieces came with the holes already. You didn't say if this was an older used kit or a new one, so better safe than sorry. Anyway, once you fill the tank up w/ enough water to flow over that little wall on the inside of the overflow's black outer wall, the overflow will begin to fill up w/ water. once the overflow is full of water, the water will flow down your intake tube (the height-adjustable tube w/ the hole on the top) and flow through your plumbing. It's self starting, so you won't need to worry about restarting it if you turn your return pump off while feeding your tank, etc. The overflow will restart itself once the water level in your display tank returns to a high enough level.

One more point: your brand new, clean overflow may sound a bit noisy for the first week or three. (water flowing down the pipes) give it a couple weeks to begin to slime up w/ algae on the inside of the pipes before you go crazy trying to quiet things down. Once some algae coats the inside of your plumbing, things tend to quiet down.

Have fun!