Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Simmer question

I have a 75 gallon tank. I started with one of those one piece wet/dry trickle filters. I have since removed all the bioballs, and that area is now filled with chaeto.

I have been toying with the idea of putting a sump in instead.
I have a 29 gallon that would fit i n the stand nicely.

I have a few questions about this.
I would first need a protein skimmer since the current one is not stand alone. I was looking at the Euro Reef RS. probably the RS 100 rather than the RS 80.
These are supposed to be one of the best out there as far as brands from what I have heard. Is this correct I would really love some opinions of this brand.
Also with the sump would I need to put in segregations in it or can i put live rock and Chaeto as well as the skimmer and the retunr pump in and jsut leave the 29 gallon as is, or is it best tp put in baffels?

I guess my biggest question is will I gain a anythiing from taking out the wet/dry and putting in the sump with the new skimmer.

I have also thought that if I do put in Baffels I may want a DSB in the fugium section.
The sand bed in my tank is only about 2.5"

My levels are all pretty good.

All results are with salifert kits

Amonia 0
Nirtrite 0
Nitrate inbetween 10 and 25
phosphate 0
CA 420
ALK 9.8Dkh.

Would really just like some opinions as to what I will gain if i do this. as well as if i should use baffles if so, and add a DSB
I know it is a matter of opinion and that is excatly what I am looking for.
Would it lower nitrates?
Old 09/03/2007, 08:28 PM
Latenight Reefer

Well the biggest advantage would be adding an in-sump skimmer like the Euro-Reef RS-100. What skimmer do you have now? The Euro-Reef would probably be a lot better than what you have now. I'd recommend it for the novice aquarist. There are some mods you can do to them to like adding a mesh-wheel impeller instead of the stock needle wheel one that makes a big difference. But you don't even have to do this, it will work well right out of the box and its easy to use and adjust too.

About adding baffles I think its the way to go if you want a sump. You can use acrylic from Home Depot or you can get your hardware store to order in custom sized glass panels for you and then silicon them in place. Its really easy and it will make your tank a lot better.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:48 PM
Premium Member

I do not know the brand name, It was part of an all in one wet/dry unit.