Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Talking McLovin Vs. Gorrilla Crab!

Was over at erickrm's place today helping him break down the finnex and we caught the gorilla crab that was causing trouble in his reef. I took it home with me put him in "the pit"
Here you go Rich now you can watch him die!!
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/f...rrillaCrab.flv
Old 01/09/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Thats awsome cool video
Old 01/09/2008, 08:58 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

thats exactly what we did with one of the gorilla crabs in the 75....

chicka chicka yeaaaa

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/09/2008, 09:25 PM
Enjoying Life

Nice!!!! Do it again!!!

Nice video, what camera? You may want to consider upgrading...... j/k
Old 01/09/2008, 09:26 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

(dave chappelle voice) BIYAWWWWWWWWW!!!!! (stewie griffins voice) thats what happens man! thats what happens!!!!!

He killed plenty of my ROSCOES!!! and plenty of my Zoas!!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

He will kill no more corals or anything for that matter!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:35 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

woot!!! ahah
Old 01/09/2008, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

If anyone else who has any pests in there tanks that they would like to donate to the "Feed Criag's Mantis Association" you can also get a personalized video of the carnage! Please help keep this thread alive while seeking revenge on those little pests that destroy your reef!
Old 01/09/2008, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

Craig are you feeding him anything besides live food ? The reason I ask is with the shell disease issues he has you should definetly try some prepared foods soaked in some high quality vitamins . Also if you havent been into the mantis forum Im sure you can get some good feedback on improving his health from some good guys over there or even DR. Roy . Im guessing youve already seen it though .
Old 01/09/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah i have been feeding him frozen silversides soaked in vitamins. Added carbon and a skimmer to the tank to keep the water quality up.
This is only the second crab i fed to him intentionaly. Any other live food was meant as some sort of clean up crew until he decided he wanted a snack I have been over on the mantis forum and spoke with billy from stomatopod.com over the phone as well as been in contact with his partner via email. So i have done my research and am taking precautions to avoid any health issues but, I just cant help to enjoy watching the mantis destroy things. Its my little desktop death tank. LOL!
Old 01/09/2008, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

ill keep a lookout for any crabs at PC.
and the last part of the movie is DEFINATLY my favorite..."ohhh.... I was kinda hopeing he would torture it a little more..."
Old 01/10/2008, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Sweet thanks man!
Yeah that was my favorite part also gotta love the commentary!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:37 AM
Premium Member

How big is that thing? He looks HUGE when he comes out to get that crab.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Im with you craig . You need to give these smart creatures live prey to keep them engaged and for the health of their appendages . Im definetly not doubting your commitment about the well bieng of it after our conversation today . I was just curious . I would definetly say I have a soft spot for them and they are probably the most interesting invert Ive ever kept . I havent kept a peacock yet though . I swear the big ones scare the crap out of me when you look at them and they just stare back at you , they are some nasty looking buggers .
Old 01/10/2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

Oh and a quick story of one of my death experiences . I had a small 2 to 3 inch N.wennerae that was pretty use to feedings from tongs and comfy with me around the tank . Also the ocassional crab and snail . Well one day I go to drop a crab in and I could tell it was keyed up . I drop in the crab and you know how thay kinda float to the bottom . Well when the crab is like 4 or 5 inches from the substrate the mantis darts out and hits it one shot in the back that literally split its back wide open from front to back . I was like holy **** I wish I had that on camera . Needless to say that thing didint move much after that shot . I gotta do a search and find you that mantis versus octopus video . But I cant remember where I saw it .
Old 01/10/2008, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/vid/bluering
Here it is .
Old 01/10/2008, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

yeah man they are really interesting to watch in action. I actually find it more fun watching him build the burrow. Since i got him he has built and rebuilt so many times i think he has OCD! As you can see in the video I dont do much aquascaping in that tank because it is absolutely pointless. If i move a rock somewhere he instantly comes out picks it up and finds a better spot for it.
He is now taking frozen silversides a little more readily than he was when i first introduced him to the tank. I have to shake it a bit on the end of a BBQ scewer to get his interest but eventually he cant resist. I can definetly see why you would be scared of the big ones! i was doing a water change and looked down for a second to see if the bucket was almost full and nearly got my hand. It was like he was waiting and watching for me to turn away just for a second so he can have a go at me haha. They are very intelligent and so far proving to be one of my favorite inverts as well.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

how fast did the 20-30 periwinkles go?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

wow, great video!! I wish I could have given you my gorilla crab that took out 2 of my zoo colonies.

Good stuff!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I was gonna mention that to . It is like OCD . My wennerae would use the same shells and rocks for the burrow and every morning it would arrange them in different patterns in front of the hole . Almost like decorating the front yard .

Eaglesrx have you tried the baited mason jar trick on that gorilla crab ?
Old 01/10/2008, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by renogaw
how fast did the 20-30 periwinkles go?
There are still a few left. He seemed more interested in them when i first dropped them in and he quickly killed off a few. Then he seemed to get bored with them and kinda left the rest allone. every so often i hear some clicks and pops from the tank and come back to find another cracked shell. so Ill guess there is still like 10 or so left.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Oh man i missed the video you posted and just checked it out! A blue ring none the less! why did i always think that blue rings were bigger. Like the one in octopussy lol!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

LOL , I do think they get bigger . I believe that was a test from one of DR Roys students to test the effects of the blue ring toxin on the stomapod , which I guess has np eating them . I think thats a pretty large adult peacock to . Im guessing 8+ inches or more . He did provide details to the whole experiment but Im not sure where the thread is , it was a while back . Its amazing the way the mantis handles all those tentacles at once . One word man RUTHLESS .