Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2005, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

HELP ! swollen head

Not a fish, ME AND I think I twisted a muscle patting myself on the back. Last weekend I sold some fish to a couple of lfs I frequent, today I hit both stores. Each one has one of my clowns prominantly featured in their smaller front counter display reef, in one case a maroon and the other an osc. As for the latter, the manager told me he has been looking for a mate for his exceptional female for over a year, this is the first osc he's seen that's good enough. The maroon is the ONLY fish in the display reef at the other store. The owner said they sold like hotcakes while every other clown in the store sat there, and could I bring some more?

My head hurts
Old 12/10/2005, 10:22 PM
Moved On

Ain't it nice when all that loving care turns out a fish that turns heads? I hope I have the same experience.
Congrats,
K
Old 12/11/2005, 07:07 AM
10 & Over Club

congrats-
now only if you got $$ you deserved for the fish
Old 12/11/2005, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
now only if you got $$ you deserved for the fish
Right. Dream on Frank At least someone is getting top dollar for them, they are seling at $25 in both stores, more than any other clowns they have and the others don't sell until these are gone I am getting $7 ea but we are talking about small numbers, 10-20 at a time. There are 3 more local stores I will hit this week if I get a chance.
Old 12/11/2005, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Well done Dave. =} Here's a pat on your back from me, so you don't throw your back out trying to do it yourself! *pats dave's back*
Old 12/11/2005, 12:29 PM
Propagator Extraordinaire

No kidding, congratulations are definitely in order. At least there's *some* areas out there where hobbyists and the general public recognize and appreciate the quality fish that a good effort can produce. I think with more things like this Bill inevitably in our future, things are, while looking somewhat down for the hobby at large, definitely looking up for the area of captive and home-propagation. Keep up the good work!
Old 12/11/2005, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Good job Dave,
An extra pat on the back from me to you.
Dman
Old 12/11/2005, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

RCS, do you know the current status of that bill, and do you know how to identify the species affected?
Old 12/11/2005, 08:21 PM
Fish Yenta

http://thomas.loc.gov

To check the status of anything in Congress.

This bill was referred to committee in 2004 and is rotting there. It is unlikely to ever see the light of day unless some big news event happens that relates to corals.

Quote:
SUMMARY AS OF:
7/22/2004--Introduced.

Coral Reef Conservation and Protection Act of 2004 - Makes it unlawful to: (1) take any covered coral reef species within U.S. waters; (2) import into or export from the United States any covered coral reef species; (3) possess, sell, purchase, deliver, carry, transport, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any covered coral reef species taken or imported illegally; or (4) attempt a prohibited act involving a covered coral reef species. Defines "covered coral reef species" to include any species of coral or ornamental reef fish listed in or added to Appendix II of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).

Exempts from the prohibitions of this Act covered coral reef species taken incidentally or for: (1) a qualified scientifically-based management plan; (2) a cooperative breeding program; (3) an aquaculture and mariculture facility; (4) scientific, museum, or zoological purposes; or (5) personal consumption. Denies an exemption for species taken using any destructive collection practice (e.g., reef-dredging, explosions, or poisons).

Authorizes the Secretary of State to consult with foreign governments to encourage the protection of coral reef species and to take steps to eliminate destructive collection practices.

Directs the Secretaries of the Interior and of Commerce to coordinate with the Coral Reef Task Force for the conservation and management of coral reef ecosystems.

Establishes civil and criminal penalties for violations of this Act.
Old 12/11/2005, 10:38 PM

Thankfully, that's the current status. I really think it's only a matter of time though before something gets passed through...maybe not this all-encompassing, but something. All it will take is a word from CITES and a news story and we're all looking at jacked up marine livestock costs.
Old 12/11/2005, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
or (5) personal consumption.
Hit a sore spot there Nicole I lived in St Thomas for 13 years Nothing like seeing a 14" (dead) queen angel selling for $2 a pound on the dock.

but thanks for the info
Old 12/11/2005, 11:50 PM
Fish Yenta

Hee hee... personal consumption doesn't have to mean eating it. At least I don't think so!
Old 12/12/2005, 12:25 AM
1 clown short of a circus

Congrats David--even if it's not financially rewarding, it still must be very satisfying.
Consumption?
You mean they'll make this illegal?

I still don't know why I took this pic...It seemed funny at the time (trying to scoop fry out of tank corners)--must be time for bed...

-Matt
Old 12/12/2005, 12:36 AM

"How to make clownfish souffle:

First, add two cups of flour. Two tablespoons of butter and a teaspoon of ocellaris..."