Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2006, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

I'm going to try these.

The Fish Gods must love me, as I seem to spend a fortune raising fish for no profit
Old 02/20/2006, 06:18 PM
Moved On

Ed,
Thank you for the clarification.

Jay
Old 02/20/2006, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Hi Nicole,

I'm sorry that our shipment to you was less than perfect. Most of our staff (including me) were in Las Vegas last week for the World Aquaculture / Marine Ornamentals conference and poor Kathy (my office manager) did the best she could to get all the orders out.

We do prioritize our shipments based on the type of products:
1) Live organism (rotifers, copepods, etc)
2) Perishable products (algae)
3) Non perishable products

Unfortunately you fell into category 3 and since there was no message indicating you had a critical overnight need, it would have gone to the bottom of the pile. If it was a live organism you would have seen a different level of service to your order.

We take customer service VERY seriously and I hope we can do much better on your next order.

Thank you,

Randy
Old 02/21/2006, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

@all

based on your experience what is the earliest day you could use A1 as the only food for fry?

Peter
Old 02/21/2006, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Kathy rocks, I should send her some fish...
Old 02/21/2006, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

My order was processed and shipped very fast.

The bummer is that it will take 7 days to get here. You guys there on the west coast have all the fun, not fair!
Old 02/21/2006, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

I just get B2 and grind it to the size I need. In addition, I mix with ground cyclops flake and ground spirulina flake. (I just started adding otihime a few months back though, I love it so far.)

They go from rots, to the mix above+rots, to just the mix over a transition period of 1-2 weeks, starting at about 7-9 days on average.

I've raised a few batches of bangais in the same manner (though the transition off of live feeds takes longer). I've not had to hatch artemia in going on two years. /cheer for one less daily task to do!
Old 02/21/2006, 12:19 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ediaz
Kathy rocks, I should send her some fish...
Darn, you weren't talking about ME!
Old 02/21/2006, 01:44 PM
Moved On

Kathy55g...

I think you rock! When I get some clowns going I'll send you some
Old 02/21/2006, 02:29 PM
Fish Yenta

Oh yeah, just what she needs, MORE FISH!
Old 02/21/2006, 02:32 PM
Moved On

LOL
Old 02/21/2006, 03:06 PM
Moved On

lol...gotta keep the ladies happy
Old 02/21/2006, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Schmiedel
@all

based on your experience what is the earliest day you could use A1 as the only food for fry?
Depending on the species, I'm using rots and A1 by day 10 at the latest for Premnas and B&W O's, and by day 10 exclusively to tomatoe and ocellaris complexes.
Old 02/22/2006, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Luis amigo

Get A B1, B2, C1 C2

Start larvae with A and then youll see it is easy to choose the next feed.

B1 has mixed sizes to big for early larvae fish.

The diet is intented for marine fish larvae, not for broostock, it may help as a supplement.

Ed
Thanks,so I need 5 sizes.I heard somebody mention Randy makes small samplers for people uncertain about the right particle size
I currently use just three Zeigler crumbs as a staple for all fish,ranging in size from post larval clowns to large clowns and marine bettas.
Ed,you say that being it designed for juvs,it won´t be right for broodstock,but perhaps it could be just fine?
Old 02/22/2006, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Hola Luis,

I use the 5 sizes, I always try to feed my fish the "corerect" size not to big or not too small, in my experience too big they can't swallow, too small they spend too much time feeding on it.

Zeigler makes crumbles for fish, grown fish, we used everywhere but I don't recall using it in broodstock, maybe we did since brood stock had yellow tags( mean crumbles).

Yo creo que puedes usar Othoime como algo por el lado, un extra.

If you look at the ingredients you will see is not enough to keep brood stock conditioned.

Ed
Old 02/22/2006, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

Gracias Ed,voy a ver si Randy me manda unas muestras
I feed my broodstock crumble as a standard,though not only food,I offer fresh seafood and other stuff.
But my grow-out is fed just Zeigler top dressed with some asthax.and squid oil.
You found clowns colour good enough with Otohine?
Old 02/22/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

El color es amazing, and true to the specie, I dare to say better than with cyclopeeze, and ocellaris become orange not bright red as I have seen with cyclo.

Ed
Old 02/22/2006, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
El color es amazing, and true to the specie, I dare to say better than with cyclopeeze, and ocellaris become orange not bright red as I have seen with cyclo.

Ed
I've noticed the same thing, my ocellaris are orange, like they're supposed to be, not red like they were with CE.

Judging by the reaction I noticed in my older juvenile's behaviour, I would NEVER feed this to my broodstock.

I'm also using the 5 smaller sizes. A through C2
Old 02/22/2006, 10:57 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Dman
I've noticed the same thing, my ocellaris are orange, like they're supposed to be, not red like they were with CE.

Judging by the reaction I noticed in my older juvenile's behaviour, I would NEVER feed this to my broodstock.

And the reaction was________________???
Old 02/22/2006, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Sorry,
It made the bigger ones jumpy, as in one or two per day were found dehydrated on the floor several feet from the growout tanks.
Most of my spawning pairs are jumpy enough as it is and I've lost six individual fish to suicide (including two beautiful B&W O's) they really don't need any encouragement.
I wish I had the time to dig deeper into the nutritional element of this obsession as it would help me to figure out the how's and why's of all the components. As it stands right now I only have a rudimentary grasp at best.
Old 02/22/2006, 11:14 PM
Moved On

First comes the observation, then the understanding. When you find out let us know.

I am feeding my older juveniles O. C1 for about a week now. I haven't noticed any change yet in their behavior. I do keep eggcrate over their tank. I plan to have most of them sold after this weekend, so I guess I will not find out.
Old 02/22/2006, 11:21 PM
Fish Yenta

I've only been feeding the Otohime exclusively since Friday eve, but I have noticed some loss of color. They are still a nice orange... just not quite so neon!

I have noticed a LOT less poop to siphon out; almost none at all and it is very fine. Some of the CE seemed to go straight through. This has had a good effect on water quality; I've been siphoning and water changing quite a bit less.

Other than increased excitement at feeding time, I've noticed no behavioral changed yet. I only have a few that don't come up to the top to eat now.
Old 02/23/2006, 08:21 AM
Moved On

At day 6 I fed my guys a sprinkling of OtoA (twice daily) and then later I gave them their first NHBS.
At day 7 in the morning, I repeated.
Day 7 evening, I gave them their otohime, and then a couple of hours later, I went to feed them NHBS, and their bellies looked like they would explode. I did not feed the NHBS.
This morning, day 8, I woke to find all the larvae swimming in the middle (I've always had a population that like to hang on the sides). Still looking somewhat full, I fed them the Otohime. What fun! The feeding frenzy! They appear to love it. It really seems like they are ALL eating it. If I go down in an hour and they are literally stuffed to the gills, I think I will quit the NHBS.
Old 02/23/2006, 08:24 AM
Moved On

I have also noticed a loss of brilliance particularly in the 6 week juvies. I am not sure if I like that part of the Otohime experience. I may just sneak a little cyclo in there on occasion.
Old 02/23/2006, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luis A M
Thanks,so I need 5 sizes.I heard somebody mention Randy makes small samplers for people uncertain about the right particle size
I currently use just three Zeigler crumbs as a staple for all fish,ranging in size from post larval clowns to large clowns and marine bettas.
Ed,you say that being it designed for juvs,it won´t be right for broodstock,but perhaps it could be just fine?
This is true, but, you need to send an email to us, asking for this (sampler). Include my name in it, as I'm the one making this offer (not listed on our site, only being offerred to you all).