Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2005, 10:47 AM
Reefer

Vacation

How do you guys take care of your broodstock when you go on vacation? (If some of you ever do. )
Old 12/09/2005, 11:14 AM
10 & Over Club

Rule#1- No vacations
Rule#2- teach your signifcant other enough that she understands the system, and can manage at a rudimentry level
Rule#3- implement rules 1 &2

Its a tough call, most pople i know try to get someone over to care for everything, but in my experiences it doesn't work out all that great.

I have an aquaintence who breeds lots of clownfish and he always complains he cannot take vacation
Old 12/09/2005, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have an aquaintence who breeds lots of clownfish and he always complains he cannot take vacation
Now you have two...

Ed
Old 12/09/2005, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

I use a 'pet sitter' that comes to the house three times a day while we are out. This works out really well for everything post metamorphasis.

Any eggs that are going to hatch, or pre-meta juvies while on vacation are a write off though.
Old 12/09/2005, 12:09 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by jaybro
I use a 'pet sitter' that comes to the house three times a day while we are out. This works out really well for everything post metamorphasis.

Any eggs that are going to hatch, or pre-meta juvies while on vacation are a write off though.
Cool, good to see someone chime in from my neck of the woods. What does a three times per day pet sitter run around here? We also have two dogs who hate to be boarded so that might work out well.

My three pairs of clownfish have not yet begun to spawn (one is very close) but I am just trying to get ideas for when the time arises.
Old 12/09/2005, 12:16 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by FMarini
Rule#1- No vacations
Rule#2- teach your signifcant other enough that she understands the system, and can manage at a rudimentry level
Rule#3- implement rules 1 &2

Its a tough call, most pople i know try to get someone over to care for everything, but in my experiences it doesn't work out all that great.

Its always been a crapshoot in the past when I have had friends/family to watch my tanks. I would portion the food (had a friend dump in enough for a month in a 2 day period), portion topoff water, and leave an emergency contact number of someone local who was into tanks. For the most part this worked out well.

I think rule number one looks like the best preventative but I dont think my wife would allow it.
Old 12/09/2005, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

She runs about $15 per visit, plus $2 per extra animal. Even with all my fish she only charges $2 extra total for the fish.

If there is something out of the ordinary, power outage, etc... she has both my number, and the number of a local fish friend who she can call to start the generator or whatever is required. She does medications and what not for the other animals at no charge.

It adds up over longer vacations (1-2 weeks) but it's well worth it. She also brings in the mail, makes sure she spends lots of pet/play time with the dogs, etc... It's a great peace of mind situation as all animals, house, etc... are well taken care of. I'm not sure if she will travel to greensboro but if you want contact information for her (perhaps she knows of someone doing the service in greensboro) send me a private message.

Oh, she's also insured and bonded.
Old 12/10/2005, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

What's a vacation?
Is that when you get to leave the house for more than 12 hours?
Seriuosly, I had to take on a partner after two years so I could take one day off a week as I was starting to burn out. Took about 8-10 months at min. twice a week to bring him completely up to speed.
Dman
Old 12/10/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
What's a vacation?
That's what I was going to ask I haven't even been out to dinner in five years and you guys have vacations
Old 12/10/2005, 02:45 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
That's what I was going to ask I haven't even been out to dinner in five years and you guys have vacations
I gotta use my 4 weeks of vacation on something...(aside from working on systems and tanks....the wife hates that)
Old 12/11/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

David,
Don't get me wrong, vacation has consisted of two weekends to the cottage in the last four years.

clkohly,
You could spend four weeks day trippin', if you're creative enough you'll find a way to burn through them in no time. Leaving you to wonder, "What the hell".
Dman