Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/27/2006, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

bitten

Hey, I have a little octopus from the Gulf...came in on some liverock. He's about the size of a golf ball. He bit me today. I felt him squeeze tight on my hand, and then felt a "poke." I immediately got him off. About 45 seconds later it really started burning like a bee sting and went up my middle finger. The spot he got me didn't bleed, but there is a dark red spot, and it's a lighter red about the size of a dime all around it. Should I worry? I'm not worrying, but someone told me I ought to at least ask!!!!

Old 10/27/2006, 01:50 PM
My Life for Aiur!

You'll be fine. If anything, it might have had a mild venom. The ones that you would need to worry about are Blue Ringed Octopus
Old 10/27/2006, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

It feels fine now, lol. I just didn't know it was going to start hurting like that. I knew the bite MIGHT hurt, but I was just shocked at the burning that happened between 1 minute and 20 minutes afterwards.

OK, if you're telling me I should survive, I GUESS I won't go do something I might otherwise regret. Sheece, I was planning my final, wild stunt!!!!!
Old 10/29/2006, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

i had one that would crawl on me and take food from my hand.. never bitten though...

must have been a shock!!!
Old 10/29/2006, 01:25 PM
Team RC Member

Usually a marine bite or sting can be helped by holding the area under hot water. Helps break down the common venom types.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 10/29/2006, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

wow! you should be fine just rinse the wound well under warm/ hot water doesnt look like a blue ring have fun with your hitchiker great find
Old 10/30/2006, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

the blue ring that i think you speak about is from the waters of australia. if i remember what i watched from the discovery channel that is one of the most deadliest venom in the world. i don't think that there is an antidote for it.
Old 10/30/2006, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

im pretty sure there is, but no one carries it in places other than Australia, because, well they have no need for it. blue rings should stay in the wild.
Old 11/26/2006, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

Yeah there is an antivenene available over here, but quick thinking is vital. If you get bitten a full grown 6ft male of average weight probably has about a hour to live. After that EAR or CPR is needed to keep the victim breathing until an
Old 11/26/2006, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

- ambulance arrives.

Sorry about that, my internet is playing up.
Old 11/26/2006, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, since posting my last reply, i did some further research and found that although there is work being undergone to find a antivenene, there is no such one available at the moment.

Also that it is now believed that a blue ring octopus can incapicitate and kill the average man in as little as 15 minutes.

Sorry bout the mix-ups
Caynus
Old 11/29/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by caynus
Yeah there is an antivenene available over here, but quick thinking is vital. If you get bitten a full grown 6ft male of average weight probably has about a hour to live. After that EAR or CPR is needed to keep the victim breathing until an
The ld50 in real life is wite a bit lower than most proclaim. They are deadly, but its not certain death. They should be illegal nontheless imo.
Old 12/17/2006, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

Ladyfsu, this is such a coincidence - Freddy (who gave you some gobies I think) and I caught an octopus just like that a few weeks ago and I let him go 2 hours ago. I had him in a tank that was never exposed to anything non-native but the tank was too small so I let him go. I caught a bunch of baby crabs and shrimp that he was feeding on until now. What are your plans for that little guy, what kind of tank are you going to put him in? I'm glad I resisted picking him up!
Old 01/25/2007, 10:40 AM
Detritus Eater

What species is it?

"It all starts with a small freshwater aquarium. Then it turns into miniature estuaries on the carpet, and an afterwards fragrance that has the power to kill anything that's ever lived"
Old 01/26/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

You have a pigmy octopus, very common in the Gulf
I have had 4 or 5 pigmys over the years and never got bitten, they are so shy I very rarely got to handle them.

The other octopus in the Gulf.... Common Octopus is two or three times bigger and more stocky looking over-all in body shape even when young.

I've had 12 common Octos over the last 15 years, and had a lot of play time with them. I only had one that liked to bite me... he would go after me right-away with his beak when ever I'd try to touch him.

I thought it was odd that I had 11 octos that liked to play and never tried to bite me. But I had one that would bite everytime. I would guess that the common octopus is not agressive as a biter... but you do get one every once in a while.

felt like a bee sting... went away in a few hours
Old 02/12/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

For what its worth:

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/octobite.php

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic342.htm
Old 02/16/2007, 09:03 AM
Simply Complicated

I hopoe you are still doing well. I bet that was a little nerving.
It's nice to have so many reefers that are willing to help out.

I didn't know that the little guys would bite. Although it was painful, thank you for sharing this information with the rest of us.

The little guy is a cutie!!