Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 05/23/2006, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mummra100769
ok i will now admit that i am 74% amish and have to pray for 18 hrs. every time i use this computer to answer this thread. please forgive me.lol

The truth finally comes out. lol
I knew it.
Old 05/23/2006, 11:10 PM
Member Registered

Hey Mummra,
I noticed in your interests that you bought an xbox 360. What a scam. They change systems every year or so just to make more money on the games. Boy did you get ripped off. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony are just overpricing gaming systems. You can go get an used old school Nintendo for like $50 and there are tons of games to play. All the saps that fell for buying the overprices new systems must all be newbies. Systems are so common and so easy to producuce that they should be selling them for like $100.

Just a comparison of how it sounds to people that like the LEs.
Old 05/24/2006, 01:00 AM
why can't i love???

man oh man you are right..on a couple of things. here lets go through them.

the two leading home console systems lose money on every system they sell (this might not be true of Nintendo). when you add up the price of all the components they are more than the gaming company is selling the system for. this is fact and in many different articles has this been recorded.

it is well known that they make a majority of the money on the software (games) not the console.

they change systems every five years or longer (the next round will be some time off after the 360 and PS2 buzz dies down it will be like 6 or more years). the xbox came out a little longer than 5 years ago (the ps2 was even older than that). for an example look at Sega. they just simply put out to many different systems and gadgets and were eaten alive by sony's ever increasing library of games.

this is what i wanted to end with. I did not buy a 360 yet! they are to expensive! i will wait till the first or second price drop. i am still playing games on my xbox. i have not played all the worth while games the old xbox has to offer so i have not made the jump yet. i will though....just not yet. the graphics are nutz and i am all about graphics, but just like the LE's are to much so is the Xbox 360. playing smarter and grabbing potential LE's before the hype is way more fun.

man al g you seem a little angry. no worries bro i like LE's to...but i like to find them at the regular price... not after the hype but before.

don't you think these would qualify? the first one is owned by just a couple of hobbyists that i know of.

this one would probably count as well (i just wish i had a better pic for the people asking for one). looking on the reef farmers website this one is known as LE golden eye enchino.

one more that i thought would qualify. even though it's an actinic shot you get the idea. for some of us it is not about the fame of recognition.

Last edited by mummra100769; 05/24/2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05/24/2006, 02:17 AM
Registered Member

Sorry you tell you mummra, but that first picture looks to be a lobo. I also know of two place in the bay area that got them regularly. Does it make the coral any more special if just a handful of other hobbiest owns the coral? The second picture is similar to the LE golden eye, but not it. Again, you are trying to label your corals as a LE, when it is not. The third is under full actinic, so I will not comment. Anyways, I am glad you realize your mistake so we can move on. I am still waiting for the 6" LE watermelon chalice.
Old 05/24/2006, 08:12 AM
Waste Management

I think everyone needs a hug, this post is getting to critical. Everyone has made very valid points. If You all can do that I'll keep me 70 year old grandmother off the road. Nice pics & corals Mummra LE's or not i don't think it really matters.
Old 05/24/2006, 09:05 AM
why can't i love???

it does not matter you are right.

as of now the first pic is still unidentified (might be a lobo not sure yet).

you are right diesel (oops) my golden eye is more pink and the eye is more gold. heres a pic to compare.

for a more accurate depiction of the last coral just look at my avatar. nuff said.

i do have a couple of micros on the horizon that might qualify. i will post pics later. no harm no foul guys....nub-bub-lub.lol

Last edited by mummra100769; 05/24/2006 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05/24/2006, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

so much aggression. Once again, if some people have the money to buy whatever they want(wish that was me), then let them. Dont get mad at them. Everyone has a different lifestyle and spend their money how they they want to. Even if it was $1000 for a 360 or $500 for a LE coral.
Old 05/24/2006, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Even the amish have power units to power their threshers and well pumps for the milkhouse. If they are carpenders, they also use fuel to power lathes, table saws, planers, and various woodworking material. They too need fuel; not everything they use came directly from the earth w/o fuel. Fabric- cotton- farmers use cotton pickers to pick cotton. Use trucks to haul it. etc. Amish do not (like any other farmer) keep all their grain; they sell it. Without fuel, there would be no market in Ag rich areas for product, causing a huge fallout in the chain and many would go hungry and lose a lot of money. We do need to be weaned off fossil fuels- especially for electricity. Most of us would reap some nice benefits if a few more lightwater reactors were online.
Old 05/25/2006, 09:02 AM
why can't i love???

see thats what we get for using Amish stereo types.
Old 05/25/2006, 03:49 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by neyugn0w01
The second picture is similar to the LE golden eye, but not it. Again, you are trying to label your corals as a LE, when it is not.
How do you know its not the same. Things can take on drastically different colors under different conditions.

Scientists cant even ID most of this stuff, what makes you think you can?
Old 05/25/2006, 04:03 PM
why can't i love???

dude it's no big deal...the point was missed all together on our freind. my point was i find it fun to grab sweet corals for a "fair" price and just wanted to point out a couple of examples of whats out there if you look.

i will admit that some land locked reefers have it a lot harder than us out in cali. so for them maybe it makes sense. my real problem is with how it is conducted (the collecting of these items) and that is my problem and i could see where my opinion is no where near the majority (it is this way a lot.lol).

wait till i post some pics of three new micros i scored. now i paid more than you would for anLPS coral but micros are still rare and hard to come by in these colors (just ask Jendub).

matter of fact i can not wait to post them. i only have the pics my buddy sent me so they are not the best but i think you can get an idea of what these are going to look like.

first one is real nice and i might be splitting it with a co-worker.

second one is also very nice as it's a whole colony.

last one is sure to be one of my favorites for a long time to come.

do you think any of those qualify for LE status? i am just kidding please do not answer that question.

Last edited by mummra100769; 05/25/2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05/25/2006, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

At this point in time micro's are fetching top dollar. I've seen some pretty ugly and plain ones selling for $20-30/head...pretty much the same trend the Acan.Lords went. Hopefully it will calm down after a couple of months.
But those look great. Where is your friend picking them up at. As far as I can tell not a whole lot of them are makeing it past the cherry pickers down in LA (but that's a whole different topic for a thread). So we aren't seeing them in stores....even this close to LA. One of our store owners who goes down to pick his stock every week or so can't even get his hands on any. I'm thinking you almost have to be there when they open the boxes.
Old 05/25/2006, 05:24 PM
why can't i love???

and they are. the shipments come in sunday and the cherry pickers who have a special relationship with the wholesellers are there helping to open boxes sunday night.

mine are coming from some one i know in the industry who has some good connections thus why i scored three at a time. thanx for the compliments.
Old 05/25/2006, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

I swear I'm half tempted to get a wholesale license and open a shop. Just so I can start importing and cherry picking my own stock....lol...
Old 05/25/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
dude it's no big deal...the point was missed all together on our freind. my point was i find it fun to grab sweet corals for a "fair" price and just wanted to point out a couple of examples of whats out there if you look.

i will admit that some land locked reefers have it a lot harder than us out in cali. so for them maybe it makes sense. my real problem is with how it is conducted (the collecting of these items) and that is my problem and i could see where my opinion is no where near the majority (it is this way a lot.lol).

wait till i post some pics of three new micros i scored. now i paid more than you would for anLPS coral but micros are still rare and hard to come by in these colors (just ask Jendub).

matter of fact i can not wait to post them. i only have the pics my buddy sent me so they are not the best but i think you can get an idea of what these are going to look like.

first one is real nice and i might be splitting it with a co-worker.

do you think any of those qualify for LE status? i am just kidding please do not answer that question.
hmmm.. really? you scored? guess again bro
Old 05/25/2006, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Those Micros are awesome. They always look great with the polyps closed up, but even so, that first pic labeled 2 with the yellow is just too cool.
Old 05/26/2006, 02:59 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by duec22
I swear I'm half tempted to get a wholesale license and open a shop. Just so I can start importing and cherry picking my own stock....lol...
it's not that easy and hopefully you have " LOTS" of connection and money. you might get lucky finding one nice cherry coral in maybe 1 of every 20 plus box.
Old 05/26/2006, 09:31 AM
who?

Quote:
i find it fun to grab sweet corals for a "fair" price and just wanted to point out a couple of examples of whats out there if you look.
True that. Several of the current LE corals even originated at fish stores.

Quote:
my real problem is with how it is conducted (the collecting of these items)
I'm assuming you mean that Tyree collects from hobbyists and labels it "LE"? If so what is the problem with that? Certainly anyone who trades with, sells to, or gives corals to Steve knows the deal, right? Besides that the original owner gets something out of it too, which I mentioned in my last post.

I didn't see the pics of your micros, but personally I don't think any micros should have ever been LE because just about all of them are sweet looking! I'd almost say the same thing about the challices, it's pretty easy to find really colorful morphs, alien eyes, etc... maybe one of the few I can see being an LE is the original watermelon, that thing is unreal and not too many corals can step up to it.

JMO/

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 05/26/2006, 09:59 AM
why can't i love???

really it just seems shady to me. they let the hobbyists do all the hard work and then swoop in (this is just my opinion). once again let me state it's a free market and they can and should be allowed to conduct business as they see fit. i would just have a hard time letting some one profit from my passion. for me i feel taken advantage of because whether i resell the "LE" or not i will never be in a posistion to profit from it like they will. this is why i do not sell (well i did...like once) from my home tanks....it just does not feel right...even though my employer would be ok with it i am not.

completely my opinion here and i know i am in the minority....and let me add that i also admire (from a business stand point) tyree and frank for making a market where there was little to none and the benifits of being able to descibe a certain coral morph with just a name are very cool. they are well respected as they should be for their reefing skills...just not my cup of tea.

also this is just internet stuff so please do not take my comments as a crusade just sharing my opinion. i in no way want to shut this type of activity down or tell anybody how to spend hard earned money, i just wanted to share my often times opposing view.

i pulled the micro pics as i did not have the original owners permission to post them (the pics that is). i made a mistake with posting them and wanted to correct it.

Last edited by mummra100769; 05/26/2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05/26/2006, 10:44 AM
who?

Quote:
for me i feel taken advantage of because whether i resell the "LE" or not i will never be in a posistion to profit from it like they will. this is why i do not sell ( well i did...like once) from my home tanks....it just does not feel right
Can you really be taken advantage of though if you know what is going to happen and you still give them frags? The solution is just not to give them any of your corals in which case nobody is 'swooping' on you or being shady. On the other hand if you don't know who these guys are (not likely if they are in contact with you) I can see your point.

I don't like to sell corals from my tank either. It feels wrong to me also, especially since I have been given many nice pieces (and would never sell frags of any of those). On the rare occasion I have sold stuff it was for extremely fair prices, so like you I wouldn't be able to profit from any of my stuff becoming 'LE' because I would still give it away as I always have. Nothing wrong with making a profit, but its not my gig.

Visit our club: NVReefers dot org
Click my red house to visit my blog
Old 05/26/2006, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
i pulled the micro pics as i did not have the original owners permission to post them (the pics that is). i made a mistake with posting them and wanted to correct it.
Base on what skinny said, I believe those are his photos or some one he knows and not yours. That was the main reason why you pulled the pictures.
It seems as though you are confuse and very contradictive on your statements.
Old 05/26/2006, 11:26 AM
why can't i love???

mothra: we agree then. my logic is based on feelings and we all know how off we can be when our feelings are included on a decision.

neyugn0w01: dude keep on cause you are not going to make me mad. this is just internet stuff. i thought i made it clear that the pics were not mine from the beginning....checking....i did even in the first post i said that. then i even went further to say that i did not have permission to post these pics and it was wrong. i again apologize to the owner and meant no harm....just excited....thats why i deleted them.

i like your pics on ebay for the acan auction. very correct color balance....good job.
Old 05/26/2006, 12:26 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by mothra

I'm assuming you mean that Tyree collects from hobbyists and labels it "LE"? If so what is the problem with that? Certainly anyone who trades with, sells to, or gives corals to Steve knows the deal, right? Besides that the original owner gets something out of it too, which I mentioned in my last post.
Thats what happens...

The problem, is I've seen Tyree, or more often some of his fanboys, all over that hobbiest trying to discredit him. He'll get a frag from HobbiestX, and then as soon as his is grown out, start saying "HobbiestX's coral isnt the same as mine. Mine has bluer tips, his is an imitator." The Tyree fanboys will then step in and back him up.

Its dishonest, and it fosters ill will.
Old 05/26/2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

One more reason to start getting paperwork with you corals...like they do with pure bread dogs...lol...you know it comeing...
Old 05/26/2006, 12:39 PM
why can't i love???

Quote:
Originally posted by duec22
One more reason to start getting paperwork with you corals...like they do with pure bread dogs...lol...you know it comeing...
i see a whole new industry spinging up around this comment.lol