Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/06/2008, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

Mike I'd lose that plastic container you have for a sump. They get brittle very quickly in a SW environment. Stand looks good so far and I love my 90 aga at 40". I use a ladder for tank work.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tgfrench
Mike I'd lose that plastic container you have for a sump. They get brittle very quickly in a SW environment. Stand looks good so far and I love my 90 aga at 40". I use a ladder for tank work.
Oh yeah this is just the "shake-down" set up for me to check for leaks and water circulation efficiency. Testing different pumps right now with these two overflows. I have a custom made acrulic sump thats still with the old display tank. planning to move that to this one soon

Agree with what you mean by the ladder for work. I use a step ladder and a chair on the other side so I could just move side to side as I work, so I dont have to move the ladder left to right to left everytime

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq24
Old 01/06/2008, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Looks great! Very solid. Perfect spot in front of the desk. Oh, and great web page.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:50 PM
Movin On Up

Here's mine, had to do it myself because of my skimmer and wanted to be able to look in while standing. The stand is 38 inches tall.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/06/2008, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

My DYI. The base of the 29 gallon tank sits at about 41". I find I only occasionally have to stoop to see things that are low in the tank, and I can reach in pretty well without a stool or ladder. I DID need a stool to put those colossal pieces of live rock in, though!

Old 01/08/2008, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Thansk All!! WOW!!! lots of nice stands! I cant believe that half round one is homemade! i wish I have the skills!

Replaced return/pressure lines that were flex hoses with PVC piping last night. Here are few pictures. please critique. I never plumbed before and have very little idea of pressure distribution/pipe sizing. I used a flex hose from the pump(pressure/return side) to the T splitter to take on the minute vibration fom the pump. It will be an Eheim 1262 that will be running it.

Question, I did not use the purple cleaner(?), just plain PVC cement. Would that be a problem

and a pix of the tank as it fallows with some changes on the aquascape.

ordered the 72"Current USA Outer Orbit(3X150W MH, 8 T5s, 12 LED Moon lights) and the ASM G4PLUS from Jeff today.

Last edited by carrera mike; 01/08/2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mdenismd
.....Oh, and great web page.
Thanks! Its my first love.

Old 01/08/2008, 09:47 PM
TRC Leader

Mike, I hope the rubber bands you have holding your plumbing up is temporary. They will become dry and brittle in no time, and I'm sure you know what might happen if they break. If you have to, cotton or nylon twine will work better.

-Ken

MASLAC member
Old 01/08/2008, 09:49 PM
Movin On Up

Since you like it, here's a few pics while building, there will be a build thread in the future.

Here's the front top and bottom, all cut out of 2x12, 3 of them, 2 for the top, one for the bottom.

Bare frame

Plywood back installed, and fiberboard front.

Base painted

Doors in jig

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/09/2008, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

The 72" Outer Orbit MH/T5 HO arrived today!! Although 3 of the 8 T5s are broken(shipping), so the light its putting out is not balance. Here's a picture though.

Old 01/09/2008, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Konadog
Mike, I hope the rubber bands you have holding your plumbing up is temporary. They will become dry and brittle in no time, and I'm sure you know what might happen if they break. If you have to, cotton or nylon twine will work better.
Thanks! yeah, I need to replace those. I want something that flexes though to compensate with temp expansion/contraction & vibration from the pump.

Mike

Old 01/09/2008, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Jesse/Misled,

Great craftsmanship dude! You must do a lot of wood work! :thumbup: