Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 07/16/2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Don't give up on Grade B Aussie Acans

This is a picture of a Grade B Aussie Acan right after I got it in May.

I kept a piece of it under very low light. It was practically under a ledge in full shade.

Here is the piece that I kept in the shade after a month.

You can see in the bottom of the piece where it was cut that the half polyps have made full polyps now, but the color on the new halves have green in them.

I put the other piece under brighter lighting. A single 400w 12K Reeflux, in a shallow 10" tank.

Here it is in early June.

And here it is in late June.

* Disclaimer *
I gradually increased the coral to brighter light.
Old 07/16/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

very nice Randy and others who have shared pictures!

BTW,

The corals are doing great you sent.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 07/17/2007, 02:59 AM
Registered Member

Even in Australia it's hard to find decent coloured corals. As for being pests, some may think so, but many reefers have said on the local forums to be at the lfs on a thursday or friday or there's a good chance you will miss out.

Sps are easier to get if your willing to take a chance it will colour up, but the one acan I saw was to expensive and it was nothing to write home about. Other corals are much easier to obtain than lps.

The popularity of these corals probably has increased as the laws on collection have relaxed a little, but for how long who knows. With bleaching of the great barrier reef, this may change.

I'm not saying that the aussie's are superior corals, but i'm trying to say be aware as whats sold as aussies, because if demand is high you may not get what you are paying for. It happenings all the time. My local lfs always complains about incorrect orders.

As for lighting, it's personal preferance as to what's used, and there's always discussion's about what everyone else is doing. We try to get the same equipment as used in the US, but its harder here as our power requirements are different.

Loving the pics everyone, keep em coming.

Chris
Old 07/17/2007, 04:31 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Fantastic Randy. I love the way the white ring kind of turned into a blue-ish hue. And you were able to keep the pink.

I was talking with a vendor today who mentioned that "ultras" and grade A & B's are TOTALLY in the eye of the beholder. Just because its more expensive don't think its more beautiful, basically.

I'm pretty happy with the ones I currently have, and have a few more coming.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 07/17/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

Nice job Randy. Very impressive.
Old 07/17/2007, 09:49 PM
The Micro/Acan Collector

Nice Randy! I just picked up one that was very similar. I should have it on Thursday. I got it from www.bluegrasscorals.com

30"x30" Bullet Proof Cube (in progress)
Old 07/18/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

One of my buddies new aussies
Old 07/19/2007, 05:46 AM
Registered Member.

Sweet piece al
Old 07/19/2007, 06:35 AM
Hey sweetheart ;)

I would love to see your idea of decent coloured corals Chris! Descriptions are always a little subjective of course, but I would say over 80% of the acans that I have seen come from Australia over the last 5 months or so are truly spectacular - comparable to nothing Canada has ever imported for the hobby.

I would like to see some pictures of your decent coloured corals
Assuming we are talking acans here. I do own a few Aussie SPS which are quite nice as well...

Quote:
Originally posted by chris wright
Even in Australia it's hard to find decent coloured corals. As for being pests, some may think so, but many reefers have said on the local forums to be at the lfs on a thursday or friday or there's a good chance you will miss out.

Sps are easier to get if your willing to take a chance it will colour up, but the one acan I saw was to expensive and it was nothing to write home about. Other corals are much easier to obtain than lps.

The popularity of these corals probably has increased as the laws on collection have relaxed a little, but for how long who knows. With bleaching of the great barrier reef, this may change.

I'm not saying that the aussie's are superior corals, but i'm trying to say be aware as whats sold as aussies, because if demand is high you may not get what you are paying for. It happenings all the time. My local lfs always complains about incorrect orders.

As for lighting, it's personal preferance as to what's used, and there's always discussion's about what everyone else is doing. We try to get the same equipment as used in the US, but its harder here as our power requirements are different.

Loving the pics everyone, keep em coming.

Chris
:
2 Ampmaster 3000's (R&CL)
MTC HSA 1000 Skimmer on a PCX 100
MTC Procal Calcium Reactor

SPS dominated reef
Old 07/19/2007, 07:00 AM
Registered Member

al abaqueta nice piece
I thought that one was sold or is he keeping that for himself as well??
Old 07/19/2007, 07:21 AM
Registered Member

Thanks racerw, that piece was sold, to my buddy. As well as the others. Really an impressive collection.
Old 07/19/2007, 10:34 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Hey Al, that one is nice. It looks a lot like this one I got from Fragglereef

Old 07/19/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Man Fliger that is a nice piece as well
al abaqueta yea he had some sweeetttt pieces.
Old 07/19/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Dave, that is sweeet!!!
Old 07/19/2007, 03:14 PM
Lap San

what the way to take photo of a acan like that?i have a few to show and tell later in the week.thanks
Old 07/19/2007, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

a good camera helps, I use a tripod when shooting macro shots also and mine still do not turn out as good because the camera is not a top of the line camera.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:29 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

It actually looks better now. Here are some crappy quick shots with a good camera/lens and bad hands. They're all fat & healthy and great eaters!

Last edited by Fliger; 07/19/2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 250G
I would love to see your idea of decent coloured corals Chris! Descriptions are always a little subjective of course, but I would say over 80% of the acans that I have seen come from Australia over the last 5 months or so are truly spectacular - comparable to nothing Canada has ever imported for the hobby.

I would like to see some pictures of your decent coloured corals
Assuming we are talking acans here. I do own a few Aussie SPS which are quite nice as well...

:
I'm not saying the colours of the aussie's are not good here, I just meant when I go to the shops to try to get my hands on them The owner usually tells me to get their sooner, but I live 3.5 to 5 hours away which makes it hard.

The display tanks are absolutely beatiful, both with corals and fish, but they are popular for the obvious reasons, making it very hard to get them. Most of the time the corals are sold on the day that they are brought in form the quarantine tanks Sorry for the confusion.

Nice corals there Fliger, They are what i'm talking about, I would love to get them, but only see them in displays. They are always sold

Sorry for any confusion I've caused.

Cheers

Chris
Old 07/20/2007, 02:18 AM
The Micro/Acan Collector

Nice corals everyone! here are a couple of my favorites.

30"x30" Bullet Proof Cube (in progress)
Old 07/20/2007, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

143 gadgets, very nice collection.
Old 07/20/2007, 02:59 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Chris - amazing. I did end up ordering some things with Bluegrass, but nothing as nice as that first one! I should get them next Tuesday, I'll be sure to post some pix!

With all these awesome aussies, we can't forget the old school ones. The OG Lords. This is one of my two favorites. Its deflated in the pic but oh so purty. Its about 7 or 8 polyps now, I'd better start feeding my corals more!

Old 07/20/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Chris - amazing. I did end up ordering some things with Bluegrass, but nothing as nice as that first one! I should get them next Tuesday, I'll be sure to post some pix!

With all these awesome aussies, we can't forget the old school ones. The OG Lords. This is one of my two favorites. Its deflated in the pic but oh so purty. Its about 7 or 8 polyps now, I'd better start feeding my corals more!

thats cool post a pic of it open its got to be sweet!!!!!
Old 07/20/2007, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

Uhm.... I do. Not one of the more spectacular colors, All blue but I have a 15 - 20 head colony that isn't fragged and I have no plans of fragging.

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
[
Does anyone who owns an aussie acan ACTUALLY have it in their display tank with NO thoughts of fragging it for $$$$ in a few weeks/months???? It would really be refreshing to see at least one of those instead of people just chasing a name to make some $$$
[/B]
Old 07/24/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

I guess we are really seeing a price difference between the grade A and B corals. I would guess they can only go down so far before the price stablizes as these are some very nice looking corals which must be costing a fair amount of money to get them into the country.
Old 07/24/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

The ultra grade and grade A have already stabilized and are most likely going back up as people see the difference and understand the initial cost. These aint no indo acans.

PEACE.....from Zeppelin

300 gallon Tenacor Acrylic Peninsula tank