Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/06/2006, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

New octo pics!! Any idea on an I.D.??

Hello all. I just picked this guy up on saturday and I have no clue on his I.D. This is the first pic I have been able to get of this guy he is extremely shy so far. I have him in my oceanic 58 with a small damsel and about a 100hermits and 100 astreas and 50 nassarious snails. Also a sally light foot emerald crab and pepermint shrimp. I left all these in there in hopes of getting him to eat with them. Tank specs are oceanic 58gal reef ready with tight fitting lid, grotech hea150 skimmer, 2 phosban reactors 1 with carbon and 1 with rowa, 18watt turbo-twist uv and a posiedon ps4 return (this is also my reef tank.) Does this sound like a good setup for a octo? Well here are some poor quality pics of the guy with hopes that maybe someone could I.D. this guy.

Old 04/06/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

a sally light foot emerald crab and pepermint shrimp.
100hermits
everything listed above has a shorter life expectancy than a huey door gunner in the 'Nam
other than that if your water is free of heavy metals like cooper you should be ok. keep an eye on it because many octos caught this time of year are fertile females ready to lay eggs.
Also lots of Octos are nocturnal
so turn off your light and sit very still in front of your tank and you might get a look at it.
I have a 3 set of blue LED lights that I use to watch my Cephs when I think they are done being in the daylight
Good Luck with yer new friend
say a fast farewell to any crabs you were fond of
Old 04/06/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

Ohh and Where did he come from? Makes it a little easier to call the ball on his species if peeps know where he was caught
Old 04/07/2006, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

I have no idea where he came from because the store didn't know. The crabs in the tank are meant to be eaten so no worries there. I just wish I knew if it was a species that grows large or a full grown pgmy.
Old 04/07/2006, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

That looks eerily familiar to the octos at the LFS.... except their "ID" of him is a Common Octopus....as if an octopus is ANYTHING commonplace
Old 04/10/2006, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

Well I can at least comment a little more on the behavior now. It likes to sit with its front 2 arms pulled up over its head and between its eyes. It seems to have none if very little webbing between its tenticles. Not very active at all throughout the day so far. I can see it sort of scurry around in the rocks during the day though when I add food for the damsel, crabs, and snails but thats the extent of the day movement. I havn't seen it come out into the open once since its been in my tank but it does move around in the rocks at night. Its seems to usually have a dark brown to light brown pattern with some creamish colored blothces and thats about all I can think off right now. Hope this helps to I.D.
Old 04/10/2006, 02:37 AM
Premium Member

Here are some better pics as well....

Old 04/10/2006, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

It could be a stary pacific octopus OR it could also be a "red" octopus... here is some possible info on the red octo.

http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/living_spe....asp?inhab=220
Old 04/15/2006, 06:03 PM
Team RC Member

what is the temperature in your tank? if it is a temperate species, high heat will kill it.