Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Lightbulb redo a poll for best lfs ? because premium aquatics is by far the best lol

I think you all need to re look at the way this fish store is taken care of . its the same store it was before . bare tanks, dead fish,
dead acclimating fish and shrimp . coral selection ??? where ??.
ok maybe the dry goods are ok but didn't look after the quick look down the isles we left . the only change to that store was the reposition of the cash register and the heaters blowing on the glass so they wont steam up and make an ice sheet out side the store
Old 12/24/2007, 02:43 PM
Delaware Reef Club & DVRC

dead acclimating fish and shrimp? Huh?

There was a huge change from the old store, the owner. The old store was poorly took care of and not only had dead fish in the tanks, but dead fish on the floor and between all the tanks that had jumped out 6 months earlier. Before 5 guys who didn't know hardly anything about the animals sat behind the counter and talked to each other and ignored costumers. Try walking in the store now and finding one person sitting on the butt. You won't find it. They are always working.

If you stocked your little fish tank full of corals in 4 months then you probably didn't know what you were doing and probably over stocked your tank too fast or just always stuck with beginner corals. How long has the store been open and how long have the tanks had to cycle? The other reason the coral selection is low is because he is selling most of the new corals he is getting in fast.

Final question what store do you think is the best in Delaware? As stated in previous threads Premium Aquatics was voted the best, but taking into account how long the store had been opened. It is a brand new store with a brand new owner. Many of the other LFSs in the state of Delaware have been open longer then 5-6 years and still are not what the salt water hobbyist desire.

I would rather you not start a new vote as the voting on RC forum is flawed in how easily it is to get a new screen name and vote as many times as you would like. I also don't think it is fair to vote on what is best when each and every shop has it's ups and downs and there is something decent about 90% of them.
Old 12/24/2007, 04:26 PM
Delaware Reef Club

HAHA- half of our members have part-time gigs there! ^^ I don't think you'll get much sympathy. I agree that the tanks looked bare, but I've not been back for around two months. Maybe it's better now.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

I stopped in there today... place looks clean and the tanks look alot cleaner then the old owners... Tanks were pretty much EMPTY for the most part but im hopping that was mainly because everyone was in there over the weekend doing their holiday reef shopping.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

The tanks have been pretty much empty, but I think it is because it's still new. I'd rather see a store take it nice and slow then fast and trying to make a buck. It seems they do care about their livestock, reputation and business, although sometimes can be a little pricey. As far as LFS in delaware, they are probably going to be the best IMO, they are still new and need time to grow though. I still prefer to buy my livestock either off forum members or other major companies (THR,TPP) I may eventually try online though. Every once in a while I will go on a LFS round to see if anyone has anything cool, unusual or cheap for sale, usually don't find it though.
Old 12/25/2007, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

I drove through Newark twice in the past week, and couldn't find the store...(I didn't look real hard). Where is it in reference to the Library?
I'm coing up from MAryland on I 95
Old 12/25/2007, 10:59 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Quote:
Originally posted by scubadoo2
I drove through Newark twice in the past week, and couldn't find the store...(I didn't look real hard). Where is it in reference to the Library?
I'm coing up from MAryland on I 95
Leave the library and make a right on Library Ave. Follow until you see WaWa on your left (that'll be Rt.4). make a left on to Rt.4 and travel approx. 1 mile. You'll see a large shopping center on your right (Shoprite), the store is tucked in to the corner by the Curves and the Hradware store.