Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Best Method in Swapping Tanks

Okay
So I'm swapping my old tank 29gallon to a new 29 gallon acrylic tank with overflow. Whats the best way to swap my tank without stressing my fishes and corals.
thanks
Old 01/08/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

there is not a way to take fish ot of a tank and not stress them out..
Old 01/08/2008, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

okay so i will take the fishes and corals out, do I keep the same water? change water? how long would I need to let the new tank running before putting everyone back in?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

IMO it should be easy, done this many times. Use 5 gallon buckets, fill them halfway and put your fish - corals and rock in them then continue filling them with water till full. I always re-use all the old water (but never the sand) so just syphon out all you can without disturbing the sand bed. Then I would set up the new 29 add a bag of new live sand then replace your rock, corals and fish.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

agreed, use as much old water as possible, make sure ew tank is atleast half full with new aged/aerated salt water, us everythign from old tank except sand
Old 01/08/2008, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

The "BEST" way is to have Charles Delbeek & Julian Sprung stop by and give you a hand. or you can do what the others have said there right on track.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Since I'm doing sort of the same thing this weekend (going from 30 to 54), why shouldn't you re-use the sand? I bought a couple bags of dry sand and was going to "seed" it useing the old sand from my 30.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Stumpy08 has the plan. Use dry sand and seed it with a few cups from your existing sand bed. Then throw the rest away.

Sand beds can get nasty. Part of what they do is absorb unwanted organics and convert them to less toxic forms. If you dig out the whole sand bed it will release a lot of unwanted stank.

Do not use sand in a bag from store shelves. I think they promote algae growth. Buy some ocean fresh live sand online if you want.

Use as much wet equipment from the old tank to the new because it harbours the good bacteria you need. Dont dry or clean the equipment. Use the same water then after filling do a nice sized water change. The tank should be as aged as the first but better due to the new sand bed and water change.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:20 PM
Master of Funk

seeding the sand is ok, but digging up the whole bed on an old tank may cause problems. You might release a lot of trapped organics which could cause a large cycle.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:34 PM
Premium Member

I am about to do the swap and my sand bed is only 4 months old about 2" deep, should I not reuse it?