Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2007, 07:37 AM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Need Step by Step Instructions For Moving Contents of Tank

This weekend, I'm going to be moving my reef from my 92 gal to my new 150. I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to do it, but Iwas currious to see if anyone had suggestions as to the best way. Are there any suggestions out there or could someone direct me to a thread? I plan on using the same water (or as much as possible) and putting about 1 inch of sand in the display and setting up a remote DSB in the sump. I'll try to seed the new DSB with some sand from the old. What would be the best way to accomplish all of this?
Old 04/24/2007, 09:17 AM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Suggestions?
Old 04/24/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Is the 150g going to be in a different location than the 92g?

If it is, from what I have read, the best way to do it is mix up 60ish gallons of new water in your 150, heat it aerate it for a couple of days then pump water from the 92g to the 150g. Once the water level has dropped it will be easier to catch the fish and thus less stress on them. I would move the corals preferably after the old water has had about 10min to mix with the new water.

Another way to go about it is perform 3x20g water changes on your 92 and put the old water in the new tank. Do this over the period of a couple of weeks and the water should be essentially the same. Make sure to keep the 'old' water in the 150g circulating and aerated. Can even start transferring over some of the live rock. Then pump water from the 92g to the 150g and transfer fish and corals when the water level drops down enough.
Old 04/24/2007, 09:34 AM
Life's better on 1 wheel

I have moved from a 50 gallon to a 125 and I just recently moved a tank from accross the street to my place. I wouldnt use the same water. Its easier to make new water and use it. The water doesnt really bring anything beneficial with it anyway. I would also get new sand if the old tank has been set up more than a few months and take maybe a gallon or two of the old sand and put it in with the new stuff seeding it and making it all become alive quicker. Make sure you have plenty of buckets or plastic containers. And also an aie pump is good if your going to keep livestock in conatainers for a few hours. Other than that its just a pian in the ***...lol. But in the end its worth it when your lookign at your new setup. Good luck.

BTW I see your from Dallas.....I just moved to Dallas in December. I live downtown in Deep Ellum on Elm street.

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 04/24/2007, 09:41 AM
Got Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Yes, the new tank will be in a new location. That should make the transfer easier. Mogrash, thanks for the info.