Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Philadelphia Area Reef Club (PARC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Just an fyi - I posted this on wwm, and Bob Fenner replied. See below

Not a ton of info, but more than I knew. Also said that tuning up my skimmer a few weeks ago could have had something to do with this.

Mushroom Meltdown 7/6/07
I have had a 120 for 10 years, and during that time, had a mushroom rock (Green/blue striped) that has literally become a massive colony. I'm talking on and under every rock (200+ lbs of rock). Even many with no color since they got no light (very cool), not to mention many over 6 inches across. The tank has been very stable and the mushrooms open up beautifully. (I have pretty low flow in that tank). Below are two links that show the tank. (they don't do the mushrooms justice as they were taken just after the lights came on before the mushrooms were open, but you get the point)
I say again that this tank has been stable for 10 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD_3i2ALjDo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvtAvnBbwWg
So, I went away for a week, had someone watch my tank for me (Who I trust).
Fed the tank (Frozen- 1 cube Mysis and 1 cube Mix A - Also, very small amt of arctic pods) 2x over the course of the week (I was feeding the day I got home). -
In the tank:
Yellow Tang
Purple Tang
Unicorn Tank
Flame Angel
Brittle Star
4 Ricordea
a million of the aforementioned mushrooms
1 yellow leather
3 frags of pumping leather
yellow polyps
red Blastomussa
So, I walk in and 75% of the mushrooms are gone. That's right. Vanished.
(Melted is more like).
PH was 7.89 (Low). Temp was fine. Water was a little cloudy. Fish and all other corals were fine.
Temp was fine (77 as always)
I did a 35 gallon water change the next day. The Mushrooms were 90% gone and water was getting cloudier.
Next day - shrooms were 100% gone, water was cloudier and all else, again, fine. Skimmer going crazy of course. I did another 35 gallon water change since I'm sure my levels must be spiking like crazy.
Today - all shrooms gone. I did a 45 gallon water change.
Nitrates are 20 Bad but not terrible. Ammonia is through the roof. I took the leather (Which was finally looking stressed, as well as the Ricordea and a Blastomussa, and pumping leather and am putting them into my 180 (40 G sump and 75 gallon fuge) for safe keeping.

I am thinking that the 120 has a serious cycle to go through for the near future.

Questions:
1)What could have happened to dissolve every single mushroom and not the
other corals??? (Did she pour a ton of arctic pods in ((Says she didn't))

2)Should I get all fish out (into the 180) as well and throw some damsels in there for the cycle?? (Buy some liquid quick cycle (I forget the name)

It's just amazing to me that after 10 years, they could all vanish literally overnight! Could this have been a spawning event of some kind?

Thank you very much!
Mitch

Mushroom Meltdown - one addition 7/6/07
I have to add: I just realized that I forgot to mention something that could be important. My protein skimmer had not been working for a few months (with no detrimental effects) and I did take it apart and clean and fix it about 3 weeks ago. I wonder if this could have started the shift in water chemistry. (IE cleaning the water of excess nutrients that the mushrooms were thriving on, leading to the great mushroom crash.)

Again, it was overnight and only the mushrooms, so I would still love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks again,
Mitch
Old 07/06/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

strange- his comments did not appear. - oh well. they are in the daily q&a's in anyone cares to look.
Old 07/18/2007, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

hello !!

I met you today at THR...

Sorry this happened.. very strange.

John
Old 07/28/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Some phosphate removers can do this. I have seen it happen I don’t know what brand was used.