Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/02/2005, 08:03 PM
My chihuahua "Bear"

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Stacy - How do you like the trigger? Does it bother any corals?
I love him! He was an impulse buy and was nervous after some things I have heard. I do not regret getting him for a second! He has the most interesting personality.

So far he hasn't messed with anything but I only have zoas, mushrooms, colonial polyps and GSP. As of now he hasn't tried to eat any snails or crabs but he is well fed.

Stacy Fawn Elledge
Old 12/02/2005, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

Baby?

Hi all! Sorry, I have not posted for a long time, but have tried to follow along when I could...

Here is a picture of one of the hitchhiker corals on the TBS rock. Note the appearance of the "baby" in the upper left corner. Is this an offspring of this coral, or just a coincidence?

Old 12/02/2005, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Also, I have two of these red crabs, this one is very large (his carapace is about a half dollar) , but so far being a "good guy" and has left everything alone, but I am keeping an eye on him. He is very photogenic and poses allot.
Old 12/02/2005, 11:13 PM
Premium Member

I had to get rid of the crab I had like that. Ripped off all my colorful sponges(blue, purple) and started on some of the tiny feather dusters all over the rocks.
Old 12/03/2005, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Also, I have two of these red crabs, this one is very large (his carapace is about a half dollar) , but so far being a "good guy" and has left everything alone, but I am keeping an eye on him. He is very photogenic and poses allot.
That is a mithrax crab. Get rid of them if you get the chance. They will rip your sponges apart.

I still have one left that I know of but just can't get.
Old 12/03/2005, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patsan
[B]These are the pictures of Bob's urchin. I've never seen this type before in any of our pictures:

Bob, Your urchin looks identical to mine. It came on my Keys rock also. It was the size of a pencil point(very tiny) when I first found it and is now quite large. It's spines are black and white in alternating bands of color. It wanders all over my tank and doesn't appear to harm anything.
Carla
Old 12/03/2005, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

carla, it's staying in the tank, but i also have some of the black ones in there too.
Old 12/03/2005, 11:47 AM
Invertebrate Advocate

Re: Baby?

Quote:
Originally posted by Nirol
Hi all! Sorry, I have not posted for a long time, but have tried to follow along when I could...

Here is a picture of one of the hitchhiker corals on the TBS rock. Note the appearance of the "baby" in the upper left corner. Is this an offspring of this coral, or just a coincidence?

This is probably my favorite subject, TBS brain corals , but how these reproduce is still guesswork. There were some reports of budding or dropping of a small baby polyp (I don't remember the term). Keep an eye on the development and see if it forms into another brain, that would be a very good thing to report!

I've been feeding mine occassionally and I hope someday they will bud or drop a baby polyp. Once I'm sure my bad cirolanids are gone I'm going to feed them constantly. I did discover one new star coral last week, only 4 polyps right now, but cool to find it!

Brian
Old 12/03/2005, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Well today was the day to clean the pump. I was so nervous, but it went smoother than I thought it would.
Disconnected the pump:

The mini tank set up with water & vinegar solution:

Start your engines:

Foamy water:

Dirty water:

Everything went smooth until I started running clean water. Then the pump stopped. I unplugged it, started it up again. It ran for a minute or so, then stopped pumping. Great....just what I needed.

I wound up taking the pump apart. I have to get the pictures from the camera to show you what I found. Will post them soon.
Old 12/03/2005, 12:51 PM
RC Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by carlab
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
These are the pictures of Bob's urchin. I've never seen this type before in any of our pictures:

Bob, Your urchin looks identical to mine. It came on my Keys rock also. It was the size of a pencil point(very tiny) when I first found it and is now quite large. It's spines are black and white in alternating bands of color. It wanders all over my tank and doesn't appear to harm anything.
Carla
Yall got lucky as that urchin is protected and cannot be harvested, it is the long spine urchin from the Keys, eats algae off the reefs keeping them clean.

There used to be zillions of them in the Keys, then they all got some kind of disease and disappeared, thus the State made them illegal to collect a few years back.

They are on the rebound, and there are stocking efforts going on to replace them in the wild.

Watch out as they are sharper than any needle!!
TBS
Old 12/03/2005, 12:59 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Carla and Bob have illegal things in their tanks!! Bad Bad people!!! How does it feel to be rebels?

B.
Old 12/03/2005, 01:15 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
Carla and Bob have illegal things in their tanks!! Bad Bad people!!! How does it feel to be rebels?

B.
Semi Illegal.....

as the state also allows anything that grows on aquacultured live rock to be kept....we made sure of that provision many, many years ago.

TBS
Old 12/03/2005, 01:37 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by liverock
Semi Illegal.....

as the state also allows anything that grows on aquacultured live rock to be kept....we made sure of that provision many, many years ago.

TBS
TBS,

Now you are just taking away all the fun of their rebelness

B.
Old 12/03/2005, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

This is what the pump looked like on the inside:

It's all rusted out on the inside. I don't think that should happen in 6 months time.
It's back together running on the tank again, but it's making noise.
I think I better shoot off an email to Greg at Reef Geek and see what he says.

Those urchins are much nicer looking than the ones we've all gotten from the gulf.
Old 12/03/2005, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

how do i feel, lucky that i'm dealing with richard at tbs! great guy, and how many people in the country have one of these critters in their tank!
Old 12/03/2005, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

i was going to send richard a picture on monday for his site, maybe not now
Old 12/03/2005, 05:21 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
i was going to send richard a picture on monday for his site, maybe not now
Bob

send it to Brian, my most excellant webmaster!!

TBS
Old 12/03/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

does he have a seperate e-mail address?
Old 12/03/2005, 06:21 PM
RC Sponsor

pm

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
does he have a seperate e-mail address?
Yes will PM you...
Old 12/03/2005, 06:24 PM
RC Sponsor

Re: pm

Quote:
Yes will PM you...
Here go to our webpage

www.tbsaltwater.com

down on the right hand side....a link to his email!
TBS
Old 12/03/2005, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter

B.
I've heard of the tang police here on RC, I was beginning to think maybe we were going to have urchin police and they would be showing up on my and Bob's doorstep!
Carla
Old 12/03/2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

carla,we have an exclusive! should be worth tons of money to someone to own one of these.
Old 12/03/2005, 08:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Bob
send it to Brian, my most excellant webmaster!!
TBS
That would be Bryan Buus, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by carlab
I've heard of the tang police here on RC, I was beginning to think maybe we were going to have urchin police and they would be showing up on my and Bob's doorstep!
Carla
That was cute. I got a good chuckle when I read that.
Old 12/03/2005, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

I think I'm going to sell my tank. I'm just getting tired of worrying about it all the time. The pump is going for sure. It's making noise a lot now. I don't want to have to buy another one of the same brand. If this only lasted 6 months, it makes me leery to get it again. If I get another brand, then there's all that plumbing junk that would need to be done.
I'm just not into plumbing.
I always worry about a power failure and the sump overflowing. Since I put the heater in it, I am having to add water more often than I did in the summer. I put water in 2-3x a day. It doesn't leave any room to be able to go out anywhere.
I'm going to talk to Bob in the morning and see what we can come up with.
Old 12/03/2005, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

pat, the noise may just be the impeller. when my mag pump gets noisy i change it. with 6 tanks i spend 1-2 hrs a day between top offs, water changes and cleaning, not to mention feeding 3-4 different kinds of food at least 2x a day