Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/24/2005, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Question Live rock....FULLY CURED???

Hi everybody,
I really need some help here :0 I am a "newbie" to this marine aquarium hobby and i need to know where i can purchase FULLY cured rock online for an INEXPENSIVEprice and high-quality. I would get it from a LFS but the problem is it's very expensive like (6.99 per lb and i need at least 45lbs if not more) ...please provide like link of the online website, thanks

-Sophia
Old 11/24/2005, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

PLEASE HELP, EVERYTHING HELPS!
Old 11/24/2005, 08:55 AM
mmmmmm Fish

Why does it need to be "fully cured"?? what exactly are you looking for???

No ammonia spike??

No unwanted hitchhikers???

IMO-- you will be hard pressed to get any "fully cured" live rock-- there will undoubtably be some dieoff during shipping and the cheaper live rock you can buy is packaged overseas and is not "fully cured"... either way you will want to put it in an unstocked tank or a curing container (tote) with some circulation and a heater and quarantine it.

Maybe someone else can help... have you checked the selling forums or your local reef club section for someone selling their setup... http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=80

I bought 150 pounds fully cured rock locally-- I transferred it submerged and had no ammonia spike (was out of water long enough to weigh it)-- paid about $2.75 pound

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 11/24/2005, 08:57 AM
Go Sooners!

I agree. If you go to the individual state forums, you could find someone in your area that's selling some. Where are you from?
Old 11/24/2005, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

I live in Upstate NY (phoenicia), so what should i do????
Old 11/24/2005, 10:39 AM
Why? Because I can

www.floridaliverock.com
great rock good prices. I cycled my tank in 4 days with rock from here and rock from my 65 gallon.
Old 11/24/2005, 10:54 AM
Go Sooners!

Look HERE for a reef club in your area.
Old 11/24/2005, 10:55 AM
Premium Member

Here is the local forum for Upstate NY. There has been a couple of people selling live rock in the last couple weeks or so, maybe they still have some.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...s=&forumid=117