Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 04/02/2005, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

Jason, I love your pictures....and your story of your soul-less house!
Old 04/02/2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garagebrian
Here is a thought...we could use all the best pictures we have of all the hitchhikers we've found on our rock and put them in a few posts? We could separate them into good and bad and I guess questionable hitchhikers? I can supply a picture of a c. isopod For the good guys I can supply some fo the clams, corals and sponges. I won't have access to my pictures until Tuesday though. I would even volunteer to have people email their hitchhiker pictures so I could post them all at once on here. Pat I think you have the best gorilla crab pictures.
B.
Good idea Brian. I sent you a PM asking for your email address so I can send you some pictures.
Old 04/02/2005, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

The critter crew that came with the TBS is cool too. I have blue leg hermits all over the place. Some of them kill the snails for their shells. The turbo snails did an awesome job of cleaning the brown junk off the walls of the tank.
I got 4 peppermint shrimp, but only 2 survived. I never saw the other 2 once they went into the tank. They've grown and molt frequently. Mostly they come around during feeding time and just sway back and forth.
The cucumbers that come with the package didn't do much that I could see. 2 of them died within a few weeks and recently the other 2 died. I wasn't really sad because they seemed lazy.
I also got a flower anemone and a condy as a freebie from TBS. The condy didn't make it and wasn't happy from day one. The flower anemone is doing very well and is happy where it sits.

This past week I added some more snails and 1 peppermint shrimp. I see the hermits have already eaten some of the new snails for their shells.
Old 04/02/2005, 01:40 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by H2OLUVSME
whats up Sean? hows your reef club going? we finally got a successful one down here in MB. maybe we can hook up some time on a frag swap or something.
Hey Landon,
It is going well.
We lost two very good members, one to moving and one to surgery.
Both should have tanks setup soon I hope.
I am always up for a swap.
Sean
Old 04/02/2005, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

Here are some of my favorite pictures of random shots.

Old 04/02/2005, 02:06 PM
Premium Member

Old 04/02/2005, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Old 04/02/2005, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

Old 04/02/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Just have to chime in here

Great idea to switch threads. It's like showing a highlight reel of your adventures so far. (Although I haven't seen any pics of the creature we do not mention! - it might be best to leave those out! )

TBS is awesome! I can't wait until I have the time to finish setting up my tank. There is so much LIFE here!
Old 04/02/2005, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by poormedstudent
Just have to chime in here

Great idea to switch threads. It's like showing a highlight reel of your adventures so far. (Although I haven't seen any pics of the creature we do not mention! - it might be best to leave those out! )

TBS is awesome! I can't wait until I have the time to finish setting up my tank. There is so much LIFE here!
Brian will show that creature when he puts together a post of good and bad critters/hitchhikers.

If anyone wants to send Brian some pictures, please pm him for his email address.
Old 04/02/2005, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

John...are you going to start your game fresh or do the points carry over?
Old 04/02/2005, 02:24 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

OOOH OOOH!!! That is a big wave...probably from the Ocean!!! Was I the first?

Actually Pat, I would prefer that everyone who wants to contribute pictures to PM me and I can choose who I want to send my email address to, I guard it a little To anyone who does PM me, I probably won't be able to respond until Tuesday.

B.
Old 04/02/2005, 02:25 PM
Premium Member

you beat me B!!
Old 04/02/2005, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
John...are you going to start your game fresh or do the points carry over?
I am thinking about starting another round... I'll be back with the details and the winner of Round I.

The wave is to symbolize Intermission.
Old 04/02/2005, 02:34 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
you beat me B!!

DOH!!!!!!

Figures I'm first on the Intermission picture
Old 04/02/2005, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

Ohhhh. I was just looking at the tank and see one of the tiny mushrooms moved off the rock I got it on and attached to the TBS rock!

Old 04/02/2005, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Here's the little hitchhiker anemone I got with the large flower anemone the other day. I seems to be doing well. Now to just see it start growing would be nice. (It's the little green thing in the middle)

Old 04/02/2005, 03:28 PM
Premium Member

here's a pic of my hithhiker chiton. i odnt know if its any better than the other pics, but.....

and a little juve crab that looks like hes a mithrax that has survived in the mantis tank for a while now.

Old 04/02/2005, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Yes....that picture of the chiton is much clearer than the other one I saw.

What exactly do they do?
Old 04/02/2005, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

they are detritus and algae feeders. mine must like detritus because he is in a part fo the SB where i can see some build up. i have on in the mantis tank and one in the TBS tank. i havent seen either out of the sand.
Old 04/02/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Here are some new shots a just took. I'm having trouble taking images throiugh the front of the tank with the macro setting. I think it might have something to do with the bow front.

I need to know what these white pods are. They seem tp be growing everywhere and seem to resemble dandelions.

I have some new "green algae" growing. Is this good???

Old 04/02/2005, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

Chris, could those white things possibly be sponges starting to grow?

The green grass will be taken care of once the cleanup crew comes.
Old 04/02/2005, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Chris, could those white things possibly be sponges starting to grow?

The green grass will be taken care of once the cleanup crew comes.
I don't think they're sponges although I could be wrong. They eventually take off and float in the tank.
Old 04/02/2005, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisnpa
I don't think they're sponges although I could be wrong. They eventually take off and float in the tank.
Hmmm...I don't think I've ever read about that with anyone who has the TBS.

Maybe someone else can pipe in and know what it could be?
Old 04/02/2005, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
they are detritus and algae feeders. mine must like detritus because he is in a part fo the SB where i can see some build up. i have on in the mantis tank and one in the TBS tank. i havent seen either out of the sand.
nice thread (again) pat. I know we're all contributing the great pics and info - but thanks for starting it up again.

Landon: per dr. ron: Chitons are herbivores specializing on coralline algae, although they also eat diatoms, filamentous algae, and, occasionally, are grazing carnivores. So this was the thing in mhe's tank and mine. I didn't realize chiton's can also live in the substrate - they are SO slow. Did you know these things have enormously long lives? As in the one in your tank likely is already collecting a pension.

Chris - if those white dots are free floating, maybe you can suck some in a pippette and place in a container for a closer pic...or even a microscope...unfortunately I'm in the hellifiknow family of identification on your white dots...(ahem edit) second pic is a cup coral, first pic is a tunicate.