Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 04/12/2004, 12:00 AM
TRC Leader

Over 260+ items identified - by picture!

Occasionally I post this page in an effort to help others identify what is in their tanks. I hope it proves useful. I do update it from time to time, as I did tonight.

It may take a little time to load if you use dial-up, so please be patient.

http://melevsreef.com/id/

Last edited by WaterKeeper; 12/20/2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04/12/2004, 12:31 AM
Sharkbait, OO-HA-HA

Thats a great idea!!!
Old 04/12/2004, 12:46 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Awesome job Marc.
Thanks for this.
Old 04/12/2004, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

Your pictures and descriptions are so helpful, I sent a request to the moderator to make this a sticky at the top of the forum.

Thanks,

Roy
Old 04/12/2004, 02:00 AM
TRC Leader

Thanks guys.
Old 04/12/2004, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

I've been watching from the start and it is really coming along. Great Job Marc! William
Old 04/12/2004, 11:36 AM
TRC Leader

Thanks William.
Old 04/12/2004, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

Awesome page!!!!!!
Old 04/12/2004, 11:47 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by marineaddict
Awesome page!!!!!!
Tell all your friends.

Seriously though, thank you.
Old 04/12/2004, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the link.
Great page
Old 04/12/2004, 02:17 PM
Moved In

Great pictures! Are you looking for others? I have a decent isopod pic if you want it.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 04/12/2004, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Great link. Thanks for the info. definetly will come in handy.
Old 04/12/2004, 02:55 PM
TRC Leader

I had considered it for a while, but overall, I felt I should only add the things I've had in my own tanks. Currently the octopus and one patch of zoanthids are listed that were not mine, and I've noted it that way.

Debi, do you have a picture of that isopod that is 640 x 480?
Old 04/12/2004, 03:06 PM
Moved In

No I don't my hard drive crashed and the only pictures I have were in my fokti album. That's the biggest I have.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 04/12/2004, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

Excellant Website. Great for newbies like me.

Thanks for your effort and time
Old 04/12/2004, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

That is going to be something great for the new people. BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!!

Chris
Old 04/12/2004, 07:47 PM
Resident physicist.

Wow melev great work, I seem to remember you (or maybe it was someone else) sometime back who mentioned wanting to do some sort of database, regardless a picture is worth 1000 words. Is this an ongoing project with more pictures? Don't think I'd have anything you'd want, off hand (red & blue crabs, margarita, cerith, turbo, astraea snails, feather duster, tomato clown, green-chromis, blue damsel, coral beauty, *gasp for breath* bubbletip, candy cane coral, bubble coral (sickly free specimin), and probably a few other things I can't think of (damn I need a sig with all this stuff like everyone else!)). But regardless keep up the good work!

Btw it said your perc chummed up with a bubble tip? I'm thinking of tempting fate and putting two different species of clowns in my 135G and was trying to figure out a suitable anemone companion and all the faqs did not list bubble tips for percs (true or false) only the more difficult to keep species, but if I could get a bubble tip for the new clowns that'd be fabulous!
Old 04/12/2004, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Looks like they have made this a sticky. Thanks ReefCentral.

Marc:

Regarding the photos, I think it would be great if you would be willing to use other people's photos that you felt met your quality/clarity criteria. If you want to disclaim that you didn't take the photo, or give credit to another person, that's your call. The most important thing is matching the photo with the creature's name.

You've done a great job, and I'd like to think that with everyone's help, you could put together an excellant database that would help all of us with identifications. Perhaps at the bottom, you could add links to other identification sites (such as for sponges, or to Dr Ron's)

Keep up the good work,

Roy
Old 04/12/2004, 08:05 PM
I got banned :)

Good job, Thanks for all the great info.
Old 04/12/2004, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Added to my Favorites!

ri
Old 04/12/2004, 11:17 PM
Have grits... will travel

Thanks Marc!

Looking forward to future updates.

AMERICAN by birth... SOUTHERN by the Grace Of God!
Old 04/12/2004, 11:25 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsuphysics
Wow melev great work, I seem to remember you (or maybe it was someone else) sometime back who mentioned wanting to do some sort of database, regardless a picture is worth 1000 words. Is this an ongoing project with more pictures? Don't think I'd have anything you'd want, off hand (red & blue crabs, margarita, cerith, turbo, astraea snails, feather duster, tomato clown, green-chromis, blue damsel, coral beauty, *gasp for breath* bubbletip, candy cane coral, bubble coral (sickly free specimin), and probably a few other things I can't think of (damn I need a sig with all this stuff like everyone else!)). But regardless keep up the good work!

Btw it said your perc chummed up with a bubble tip? I'm thinking of tempting fate and putting two different species of clowns in my 135G and was trying to figure out a suitable anemone companion and all the faqs did not list bubble tips for percs (true or false) only the more difficult to keep species, but if I could get a bubble tip for the new clowns that'd be fabulous!
You do have a lot of stuff. (Btw, I'm not a fan of signature lines filled with every molecule in the tank. That is what personal websites are for. )

My True Percula and my False Percula are sharing my BTA, which split once over a month ago, and now is in the process of splitting off one more piece, and in another few weeks it will finally split the last one I'm guessing. So my 22 month old BTA will eventually be four.

The True Percula was alone, as its mate jumped. It took two weeks until it decided to host, and has remained there ever since. I've had the Percula 6+ years, btw.

The new tank-raised (locally) Ocellaris is 9 months old, and within 6 hours of being added to the tank it dove right into the BTA and shares it. I've observed the false perc chase out the true perc often, but she always comes back. They are adorable.
Old 04/12/2004, 11:45 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by racrumrine
Looks like they have made this a sticky. Thanks ReefCentral.

Marc:

Regarding the photos, I think it would be great if you would be willing to use other people's photos that you felt met your quality/clarity criteria. If you want to disclaim that you didn't take the photo, or give credit to another person, that's your call. The most important thing is matching the photo with the creature's name.

You've done a great job, and I'd like to think that with everyone's help, you could put together an excellant database that would help all of us with identifications. Perhaps at the bottom, you could add links to other identification sites (such as for sponges, or to Dr Ron's)

Keep up the good work,

Roy
That is very nice of RC to sticky this thread. I hope to continue to make it a valuable tool for others in the hobby. I have about 5 new items to add to this page, and of course as time passes more things will be added.

I've had people offer to give me items in the past, so this is what I'm thinking:
  • I need a nice, crisp quality image (640x480) to identify the item. The item should be easy to see and fill most of the frame, rather than a large image that has been shrunken down. Cropping is ideal. If the image meets my criteria, I will consider adding it.
  • I will need the real name of the photographer, to give that person credit.
  • It should include a 50 - 75 word description of the item, including its name (and scientific name if possible) and whether it is reef safe or not. The description can be your personal observations or the age of creature perhaps. I may ask for you to resubmit the text if it lacks specifics. I reserve the right to re-edit the text as necessary.
  • Images should be emailed to me at melev@swbell.net and should be in JPEG format. Please do not send me BMP files because they will not be used and only clutter up my mailbox with gigantic files.

If you do submit an image, you are giving me permission to use it online, where it can be seen by people on other boards around the world. I do not want to have to delete images later, as I'm busy enough as it is. Please only submit your own images and don't "borrow" other people's pictures calling it your own.

If this page gets too large, I may break it up into a few depending on the quantity of items.

If you submit an image and it is used, it will be added as time permits. Please do not grow impatient as it does take time to do this right.
Old 04/13/2004, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Superb page, many thanks Melev !!!
Old 04/13/2004, 10:57 AM
O|||||||O

WOW!! Great idea.....this will helps many people of all levels. There is always something to learn at this hobby!!

To write with a broken pencil is pointless.