Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 10/31/2003, 02:07 PM
I yam what I yam

Rock looks awsome. I'm going to see about getting some when I set up my next tank. I love the life that's on it. Actually makes it look more natural as you said and it's almost like an instant reef. I had to wait years to get half of that kind of stuff to show up in my tank and most of it was from poylop rocks I bought. Good work and keep the pic's coming.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?
Old 11/01/2003, 12:17 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Latest Pictures

Symbiotic Shrimp in Anenome:

Old 11/01/2003, 12:54 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

The tank is maturing very nicely, a little faster than I expected. I replaced the lights with 192watt PC for the 110 watt setup, one 10000k and one Blue. The second day after having the lights the tank seems to be coming to life. Sponges have started growing, feather dusters are poping up all over the place. Lots of other cool stuff is being noted. I am beginning to get some interesting algea growth. It is nice looking stuff, not the ugly brown stuff. Some I hope survives. I will take some pictures of the algea for help with identification soon.

You will notice in the pictures above I have added a leather finger coral, and a kenya tree coral. I traded a cucumber and some hemits from the tank for them at the LFS plus a little money. Both items have allready started growing.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 11/04/2003, 10:15 AM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Well things are still going well. I am beginning to learn the important lesson of not chasing your tank parameters, and not overreacting. My finger coral did not come out yesterday, coupled with my anenome doing its first full water purge. I freaked out, but remained somewhat calm. Well both came back. Then my brain coral shriveld some, but it too returned to normal form.

I guess what I am trying to say to the beginners is dont overeact to changes, and allow some time to make sure what you are seeing is not normal. In all three cases for me it was normal.

One item I am having trouble with is learning to keep the salinity the same due to evaporation. I think I have figured out I need about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon per day right now in top off. I am thinking of doing half in the morning and half in the evening.

On the new equipment front I am toying with the idea of setting up a 20 gallon sump with an Amiricle overflow. I will move my skimmer to the 20 gallon tank if I do this, as well as the heater. What does everyone think about this idea? If I do it, it will cost about 110 dollars for everything. Is this money well spent?
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 11/04/2003, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

I would think so. More water volume = more stable parameters. Plus it hides a lot of the equipment that would otherwise have to be installed in the display tank. Also, you could put together a top-off system so that you're not constantly adding water to the system.

Brian
Old 11/04/2003, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Oh, absolutely, bud. With a sump, that gives you a lot of room to put equipment and a lot easier to do water changes and top-offs.

Also, with a float-switch or water level sensor and a powerhead, you can make your top-offs automated. That's what I have on mine, but it's a bit more complicated than a float switch.

Cheers!

Andy
Old 11/04/2003, 07:30 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Here is a link to a hires picture of the entire tank

http:\\www.md2patient.com\tbswk4hr.jpg
Old 11/04/2003, 07:30 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

More new pictures, you can see my Brain opened up in this one, along with my coral banded shrimp, and my wifes Banggai Cardinal. Also got some little frags of mushrooms and other stuff that was added.

Old 11/04/2003, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

nice
Old 11/07/2003, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Now I REALLY want to get my 29 up and running! That is really nice rock!! The last tank I saw with it was not nearly as colorful. When I get mine up and running I will start my own thread!
Old 11/07/2003, 04:51 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

Here are some more pics:

HI RES version
Old 11/07/2003, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I JUST GOT MY FIRST SHIPMENT FOR MY NEW TANK 150 GALLON AND WOW AM I SUPRISED THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFRENT THINGS ON THIS BASE ROCK I AM AMAZED ... I AM ALSO TAKIN PICTURE OF EVERY STEP I WILL POST THEM WHEN I GET THE REST OF THE TOP OFF ROCK ...... THANKS RICHARD
Old 11/07/2003, 09:56 PM
RC Staff
American

Hello Richard,
[welcome]

I see you're new here, please allow me to teach you a piece of BB etiquette.
When you type in all caps, as you have in all 3 of your posts on RC, it is taken as SCREAMING AT US. Please, remove the caps lock, I promise we will hear you just fine in lower case

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 11/07/2003, 10:42 PM
Reef Mania

Your tank is looking sweet, but what happened to the Anemity?

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 11/07/2003, 10:46 PM
Mine is 48", and yours?

I traded it in for the clownfish and the small green tree coral on the right. After doing alot of research I decided Anenomes are best left for large tanks with bright light.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 11/08/2003, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

I like your cardinal. How is he?
Old 11/08/2003, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

My name is Mike and im not trying to scream ... i do most of that all day so when i get on here i like to realax i did not no that there were such strict rule that every one look at every ones typing i will do my best to please every one with my gramar and spelling please for give me and i just ask for 1 more chance thanks
Old 11/08/2003, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cinq 1
My name is Mike and im not trying to scream ... i do most of that all day so when i get on here i like to realax i did not no that there were such strict rule that every one look at every ones typing i will do my best to please every one with my gramar and spelling please for give me and i just ask for 1 more chance thanks
That is no problem bud. I think he was more so just letting you know. On just about any forum, chat, instant message when your type in "ALL CAPS" it is considered yelling or trying to get your point across. Don't take it so hard, everyone is friendly here (just about - j/k)! Take care.

hvreef.org webmaster
Old 11/08/2003, 08:44 AM
Mine is 48", and yours?

The cardinal is doing great. Its name is Domino.
Arc Eye Hawk
Engineer Goby
Clown Goby
Mandarin Goby
Green Chromis
Yellow Tail Damsel
Old 11/08/2003, 10:00 AM
RC Staff
American

Quote:
Originally posted by cinq 1
Don't take my post the wrong way, Mike. I wasn't repremanding you, just "helping a brother out" with BB etiquitte. Like nine said, prety much anywhere on the 'Net, all caps is frowned on, as the perception is that you're not being friendly. Enjoy Reef Central, it's a great place, with great members!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 11/08/2003, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

TBS

I am glad I came across this post! We just set up our new 135 RR last week. We are still in the process of filling it (RO), though it is taking forever!! We are going to order our TBS rock hopefully by next week! Your's is looking great. We put fiji rock in our 29, and it took forever to cycle, had no life on it (except coraline algae). I am a bit on the impatient side, so that was no fun. I can't wait to see what comes on our rock...I may start a thread when it gets going!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11/08/2003, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Re: TBS

Quote:
Originally posted by gofish
I am glad I came across this post! We just set up our new 135 RR last week. We are still in the process of filling it (RO), though it is taking forever!! We are going to order our TBS rock hopefully by next week! Your's is looking great. We put fiji rock in our 29, and it took forever to cycle, had no life on it (except coraline algae). I am a bit on the impatient side, so that was no fun. I can't wait to see what comes on our rock...I may start a thread when it gets going!!

Good luck and keep us posted!
I don't see how you could go wrong. For our 50 gal tank, we received our first half this last monday (3rd) and as of last night (7th or 4 full days) we still have not received an ammonia spike. We are getting a little smell but our ammonia and nitrites readings are below the minimums or 0 with the test kit.
We are enjoying watching the barnacles feed and there are clams and mollusks all over opening up feeding.
We received a Candlelabra Gorgonian and when we turn the lights on, it just pops out. It is something to see.
There is so much life in the tank that I am not sure if or when we will receive the 'ammonia spike'.
Gary
Old 11/08/2003, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
We received a Candlelabra Gorgonian and when we turn the lights on, it just pops out. It is something to see.
What is a Candlelabra Gorgonian?
Old 11/08/2003, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gofish
What is a Candlelabra Gorgonian?
This was the first link under goggle
http://www.garf.org/100/gorg/GORG1.html
It talks about propagation but I think you will pick it out. It looks like a cactus.
Gary
Old 11/08/2003, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Gary...it is pretty neat looking