Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/11/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Question Hard Corals

I'm planning on having some hard corals in our tank but someone told us yesterday that with hard corals you can't have hardly any fish. I hadn't ever heard this before. Can someone please explain. ?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:15 AM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Not true.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

That's only partially accurate. When it comes to keeping coral...whether it be hard coral like SPS or LPS or even soft corals, certain fish can't be kept with them because they will eat them or pick on them. Actually, there are many fish that will do that. On the other hand, there are a good number of very fine fish that are "reef safe" and pose no threat at all to coral. The best way to figure out which can be kept with coral and which can't is to get a good book and use that as a reference to chose the fish that would be safe to keep with coral.

Here's one that you can start with.....

http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-G...0068255&sr=1-8
Old 01/11/2008, 11:20 AM
Team RC Member

Not true.
You have to get 'reef-safe' fish. This, understand, doesn't guarantee they won't eat each other, but there are hundreds of species you can have in a stony coral tank.
Look on liveaquaria.com in marine fish. If it says reef-safe, it will probably be fine.

Fish that ARE safe: blennies, gobies, [dragonets: mature tank only]; dartfish; damsels [chromis is the safe one: the others are nippy toward other fish]; kole or tomini tang [other tangs grow too large for your tank: these two max out around 9 inches, as I recall, but check.]

Fish that are not reefsafe: angels, butterflies, puffers in general, and a few others.

Fish not safe with other fish: eels, triggers, sharks, cephalopods: the carnivores.

Reef fish measure adult size in feet, in some instances: before you get a fish, check that out on that site. THey never stop growing.

Fish with a max size of about 4-5 inches will be most comfortable in your tank.

Beyond that, ask about habits and compatibility.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Not true at all. Acrually it's a good thing to keep the right fish with corals. This partially insures the corals get nutrients they need from fish food and fis waste and many fish eat things that can harm corals or clams. There are many fish, however that will eat coral,anemones ,shrimps crabs mollusk etc. Some "reef safe" fish will still nip certain corals. Study of individual compatability issues and putting the puzzle pieces together in an aesthetically pleasing way is the art of the hobby.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:28 AM
Send money....

I'm wondering if the OP is asking about the number of fish one can have vs the types?

If you're asking about numbers, the trend these days in the SPS forum is to have a decent fish population in your tank as the fish poo is supposed to help feed the corals. I think it used to be that you had a sparse fish population if you had SPS, but then folks had less hardy looking corals this way. Upon adding more fish, the corals would color up and look better. Or at least this is how I've been reading it from the SPS forum.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Well the guy (pet store owner) said that basically if you're going to have hard corals you can't have hardly any fish because they eat it up. I know that some do but he acted like they almost all do...
Old 01/11/2008, 11:36 AM
Send money....

Then that's BS, because there's lots of fish you can have with SPS corals.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

K Thnx!!!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:43 AM
Send money....

Go look at the archives of the "Tank of the Month" winners that are mainly SPS and check out their fish stocking.