Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Question Help with settings for taking tank pics

i just received my canon xti along with a 17-55mm f/2.8 USM lense. can any of you photography gurus advise on a good Av or Tv setting for taking pics of my tank?

TIA

TC
Old 12/31/2007, 07:13 PM
I bleed orange and maroon

set to Av (aperture priority)

set ISO to 100, and f/stop to f/9. shutter speed will be set automatically.

that should be a good starting point. (btw you will need a tripod with shooting in Av)

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!
Old 01/01/2008, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Have a XTi also.
Not a real pro here but I learned to make some good shots by practicing.
If you go for the manual mode definitely use the AV mode. Can't tell you a lot about the shutter speed etc.
But for sure you should adjust the white balance accordingly. There is a section in the manual that explains how to do that. You have to put a white object in the tank and then shoot a picture. The camera will then adjust the white balance automatically.

Otherwise I make good shots with the pre settings : Sports and No Flash.
In most cases you never should use the flash.

Michael
MAXreefer
Old 01/01/2008, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

thank you both for your input. i've made the recommended steps and the pics have improved dramatically.

happy new year!
Old 01/01/2008, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

And just to be difficult, I'll add: Adding a flash was the best thing I did to increase the sharpness in my photos. I wouldn't use a flash with some acros, as it tends to highlight the browns and they lose their beautiful colors, but I do use one with everything else.

BTW, with a flash, I can set the aperture to f/16 or f/32 for depth of field, and still set the exposure to 1/125th or 1/250th of a second.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats