Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Question Introducing a new tang

I have a convict tang in my tank, its good and and fat.

Today I brought home a Sailfin tang I got at a great price.....the convict is not happy about it.

The only thing I know to do is remove the convict, rearrange a bunch, put the sailfin in, and then introduce the convict back.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving up the convict either, I like the sailfin a lot better.

Any ideas on acclimating the two?

Robbie
Old 12/19/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

you could seperate the tank with eggcrate if possible, maybe let them just get used to being in the same water together, than remove see what happens. or try placing a mirror on the fron the tank. the convict should go after the mirror more than the sailfin.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I was considering making a acrylic box to house the sailfin in for a few hours.....would work nearly the same.

Robbie
Old 12/19/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

you could hang up a mirror to distract the two from each other
Old 12/19/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I like the eggcrate divider idea. I just introduced a sailfin tang into my tank which has a large purple and 4 yelllow and 1 blue hippo. the purple beat up on the sailfin for a few hours, then the sailfin hid in the corner for a few days. I target fed him, his fins recovered quickly and after 1 week was right in the mix with the other fish. The sailfin seems smart and tough so I think he'll make it. Good luck
Old 12/20/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

They should get over it in a few days. If not then you may have to give one up. I have noticed that fish with vertical stripes don't like other fish with vertical stripes. It sounds simplistic, but it does seem to hold true IME. Don't add a copperband next, they will both probably beat it up.

Lisa
Old 12/20/2007, 07:07 PM
Mother won't be happy

The Mirror trick will work wonders!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

I thought of something on the way home, and it seems to be working so far.......I printed out a generic photo of a Sailfin, trimmed around the body of the photo, and taped it to the glass..

almost immediatly the Convict started flairing its dorsal fins, and acting up towards it....hopefully the dummy fish will take whatever abuse the convict is going to dish out, and then the new guy will be just fine.

I'll keep this updated.

Robbie
Old 12/22/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

Well it has worked pretty well.

I left the photo up for two days, and then introduced the new fish. The Convict has shown no aggresion towards the Sailfin.

The Sailfin is more interested in his own refelction on the cleaned glass.

Robbie
Old 12/22/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RWillieK
I thought of something on the way home, and it seems to be working so far.......I printed out a generic photo of a Sailfin, trimmed around the body of the photo, and taped it to the glass..

almost immediatly the Convict started flairing its dorsal fins, and acting up towards it....hopefully the dummy fish will take whatever abuse the convict is going to dish out, and then the new guy will be just fine.

I'll keep this updated.

I use this technique as well. Before I add any fish to the disply, I tape a picture of it to the glass. Once the new fish is added, the current occupants are already accustomed to it's "presence".
NO2 - 0ppm
NO3 - 0ppm
Ca ~410ppm
dKH ~10
Flow ~80x
Old 12/22/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

either way, in a 90 problems between those two tangs will re-develop sooner or later.

Mostly LPS reef (lords, micros, duncans, etc.) with some ricordia florida and zoanthids.
Old 12/22/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

they will get along in a couple of days. My blue gave my chevron a hard time for a week, but after a couple of days they were, and still are fine.