Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/21/2007, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

Durso stand pipe?

I just built one of these cause my drain was so loud and annoying...Well now the only problem is the water in the over flow keeps rising and falling...it will stay in the same spot for a while then out od nowhere start rising and falling again... Do i make the hole bigger in the top? did i make it to big? whats going on?
Old 11/21/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

nevermind i figured it out! im a retard! lol
Old 11/21/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

How big did you make the hole in the top? It's only supposed to be a tiny hole. I think if it's too big too much air gets sucked in and you have a rise and fall. Try putting a piece of duct tape over half the hole and see if it gets better.

It sounds like your return pump may not be handling the overflow.
Old 11/21/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

no it was the water level in the sump causing backpressure and i also realized the return that came with the tank has a hole in it for some stupid reason... So thats where all the noise is coming from! i just need a new 90 elbow
Old 11/21/2007, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Cool. Glad you got it figured out. The hole in the return might be a siphon break.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:06 AM
Registered Member

yeah it is but in a really annoying spot. Right in the inside of the elbow so all the water flowing up the return is wailing out of it right against the side of the overflow making it sound like a power washer against aluminum siding
Old 11/21/2007, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

nice.
Old 11/21/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

Is that an anti-siphon hole by chance??? If so, its not such a stupid idea...Make sure your sump can handle the extra volume if you replace the elbow...

EDIT: duh...never mind, you guys figured it out....I was just reading faster than my brain could digest...haha

Quote:
Originally posted by craiglanda
yeah it is but in a really annoying spot. Right in the inside of the elbow so all the water flowing up the return is wailing out of it right against the side of the overflow making it sound like a power washer against aluminum siding
Old 11/21/2007, 08:09 AM
Help im addicted

sounds like the siphon break to me! It would be located in the inside of the 90 right where the loc line will attach to the 90. This hole will stop the water from sucking back down into the sump.
Old 11/21/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

so i cant put it off to the side? Or can i make my drain pipe taller so its is submergerged while the pump in on?