Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

clowns moving sand

I have a pair of clowns that will fan the sand away from whatever they hosting in. Right now its a colt coral. I tried to put rock rubble there, only to have the clowns push it out of the way. Will moving the colt off of the sand solve the problem?
Old 09/09/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

My Cinnamon clown stirs up the sand all over my tank. Doesn't matter how many times I move it back. I know of other clowns that have done this as well. I think it's inherent in the larger clown species.
Old 09/09/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

I have a maroon that does the same thing.
Old 09/09/2007, 12:59 PM
Gold Star Recipient

mine do it on occasion too.
Old 09/09/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

They was hosting a rock with hairy mushrooms also. One was at the hairy mushroom rock fanning out sand, the other was near the colt fanning sand. I move the mushrooms up higher and that clown stopped fanning sand on that side of the tank, now I moved the colt up higher. Will let yall know results later.
Old 09/09/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

The clowns are just cleaning the sand. I put a white tile about 1/2 " under the sand where my clownfish host. They will clear the sand down to the tile and then be happy that they have reached the bottom :P

Stops them digging up the tank It is part of the behavior they will show before they spawn. Just a normal clownfish thing.
Old 09/09/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

I have always had my cinnamons do this mostly the male. I just leave it now and they quit doing it but move the sand back then there he goes again.
Old 09/09/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Got some left over ceramic tile, will give it a try. Thanks Will post results.
Old 09/14/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Trying egg crate instead of tile, seems to be doing a pretty good job. Only if you don't mind the looks of it.
Old 09/15/2007, 02:33 PM
Premium Member

That's very interesting.

I have a pair of clowns that keep the sand cleared in a corner of the tank & no matter how often I disturb their sand pile , they just keep clearing a spot. Not all the way to the bottom though .

Kind of cute .

Old 09/15/2007, 06:27 PM
The Clownfish COP

My GSM do it in my anemone tank and usually spread gravel all over the anemones. Even when the anemones are elevated off the gravel and the floor of the tank, pieces of gravel always find their way onto the anemone.
Old 09/15/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

DUDE, mine does the same thing! i come in and its all "dusty" i couldnt figure out what was wrong. Then i saw him doing and i freaked out thinking he had ich lol. But, he doesnt and..to this day i still dont now why he does it.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away. ~Unknown

----->Danm My Spel Cheker<---------