Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06/30/2007, 01:40 AM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Talking 380 Starfire SPS in a closet

Well since I ordered the tank today it only seems appropriate that I go ahead and start the build thread today as well. Tank will be built by Miracles in Glass 108x30x27 Starfire front and ends, dual 30" external overflows.

This tank will replace my 75 gallon mixed reef and plumb into my 54 corner SPS tank which will turn into the refugium for the 380. All of the livestock from the two tanks will be combined with the exception of the soft corals and rock infested with soft corals from my 75.

Location: Well it's going into a closet, well two closets actually It's what I got so I'll make it work. The closet space once I take out the divider wall used to be a laundry room but I just finished moving the washer/dryer to another location for er...uh... convenience (well that's how I pitched it to the wife anyway ). This is on the first floor of the house with a crawl space under backing up to an outside wall. The first step will be to rip out the floor and pour a trench footing, then add a few more floor joist to beef things up. I plan to line the room with 1/8" HDPE with welded seams. There is a return duct to the central AC in the closet and I will leave that there as is. I plan to put a pretty good size pair of bath fans for exhuast and cut a decent fresh air intake vent as well. There will be a floor drain for emergency purposes that will just drop to under the crawl space. There is water and plenty of power in the room already but I will probably redo it all to fit the tank.

Flow: Return pump will be a Hammerhead and also tee off to feed remote refugium, frag tank etc. I will likely plumb a 4 way and two wavy seas or 4 sea swirls on the returns. No closed loop since the space is limited, I am going to go with 2ea Tunze 6101's and a wavebox + extention to start and see if I need more.

Lighting: 250w XM10k's on PFO magnetics in Luminarcs X4 will be the main lighting, I will also put an array of VHO actinics and T-5 AB+ bulbs wherever they end up fitting.

Filtration: I like to build my own toys But it will consist of a big ol skimmer, a pair of fluidized reactors running carbon and Phosar, a big ol calcium reactor and a big ol kalk reactor. I'll plan for a few hundred watts of UV. Curious to give ozone a shot but tanks going in my living room so I may pass for safety sake. All of this will be located in multiple sumps under the stand.

Other: I will have an automatic water change system plumbed in to change somewhere in the neighbor hood of 1/2% daily. I will also have a very large RO reservoir. These tanks will be located outside in a lean to shed that I need to build. Chiller will be outside as well and if I have time will be done on the mini split AC unit like Sidewinder did or I'll end up with a 1hp Tradewinds if time starts to run short.

Livestock: 90% SPS and a few LPS, rics and rare paly's and rics. Fish I currently have that will transfer are:

Longhorn Cowfish
5 glass cardinals
Joculator Pair
Algae Blenny
Yellow Watchman
Mandarin Goby
Sailfin Tang
Convict Tang
Multicolor Angel
Snowflake Moray
Bicintus Clown Pair
Dispar Anthias Pair
Copperband Butterfly
Blue Reef Chromis
Radiant Wrasse
Couple RBTA's
Couple Borneman Anemones
Dozen or so Maxi Morph Tapetums
Dozen or so Mini Morph Tapetums.

The Anemones may all end up in the 54, still haven't decided.

I have most of the fish I want except I really want to take advantage of the 9' swimming space and add a school of bannerfish. I'll probably add a few nicer angels as well and that's pretty much it.

I would love to hear some big tanker experienced thoughts before I start ripping apart my house Also never fear, I take LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!!!!! Here a couple of my packed 54 to quell the doubters LOL...

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.