Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2005, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

Europe lfs and pricing?

I’m going to France and hopefully Italy and England in two months and would like to know if I should look for any equipment while I’m there. Does anyone know how the pricing is and if there is any good lfs in Paris? Any recommendation on what reef and non-reef stuff I can do while I’m there.
Old 06/07/2005, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

You would probably get the best prices in Germany. Look for products from Aqua Medic (http://www.aqua-medic.de/index0.html) or Giesemann (http://www.giesemann.de/en/giesemann/).
Old 06/07/2005, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

A typical LPS in London will cost around £35 (frogspawn or hammer) but i dont know how you will be able to bring it back...
Old 06/07/2005, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi,
Dont forget all the equipment in Europe runs on 220v-240v.

John.
Old 06/07/2005, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

OHHH FOR GOT ABOUT THAT
I wouldnt be looking for any live goods btw. I guess it wouldnt do any harm to look. Maybe I'll find some non electrical dry goods.
Old 06/07/2005, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

forget about your tank for a while & enjoy your trip.
Old 06/07/2005, 04:15 PM
Fish Addict

Dude, don't go to Europe and think fish tanks. Go to Europe and ENJOY it. eat crepes on the streets of paris. See the Louvre. Go get Sprungli chocolate in Zurich, visit the mediterranean...your tank will be there when you get back.
Old 06/07/2005, 05:33 PM
Registered Member

Not sure where in Europe you are planning to go but i know for a fact that you wont find anything cheaper in the UK that you can get there.
Old 06/07/2005, 05:35 PM
Metal Lives

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
Dude, don't go to Europe and think fish tanks. Go to Europe and ENJOY it. eat crepes on the streets of paris. See the Louvre. Go get Sprungli chocolate in Zurich, visit the mediterranean...your tank will be there when you get back.
Dont forget Amsterdam!
Old 06/07/2005, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

new -noob why would he what to go to amsterdam hmmmm
Old 06/07/2005, 06:03 PM
Metal Lives

i have no clue! he said Crepes, amsterdam has Crepes!
Old 06/07/2005, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Because Amsterdam is fun!! one of the best places i have ever been
Old 06/07/2005, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

Fun?.....coffee shops, eh?
Old 06/07/2005, 07:00 PM
Fish Addict

Well, whether or not you go to Amsterdam depends on who you're going to Europe with. If you're with your family or you significant other you do NOT go to Amsterdam. If you're with some other guys, then yes, Amsterdam is a destination.
Old 06/07/2005, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Since we're already OT: Raskal - shoot off a PM if you're interested in knowing more about where to go while in Europe. I've been living and working all over the place, so....
Old 06/07/2005, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

oh yea Amsterdam is not a trip for the family you can get away with bringing your siginifcant other just make sure their cool with the shall we say openness of the city. Personally I go every other year for a week or two to relax and visit friends. We hosted an exchange student when I was in high school who's dad just happened to be vp of heiniken, It sure does pay off I personally can't wait to go back
Old 06/07/2005, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

my significant oher would fully enjoy amsterdam with me
Old 06/07/2005, 08:48 PM
Joboo needs a refill!

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
I agree. Paris is truly a beautiful place!! DOn't waste your time looking for drygoods. Spend your time drinking great wine & eating outstanding food!

Its amazing how in this hobby it takes months/years of good husbandry to achieve perfection but it only takes a couple seconds for total destruction!!
Old 06/07/2005, 09:37 PM
Metal Lives

Indeed Amsterdam is very "open" i find it comical that they have public urinalsl lol
Old 06/08/2005, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

So its agreed, you will be visiting the delights of Amsterdam, having been several times for stag nights with my mates, its an experiance
But also remember, Europes a big place & therefore you cant do everything is a week or two. Therefore I would say Paris, London, mardrid/Barcalona & Dam (amsterdam to regular visitors).
Old 06/08/2005, 05:24 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Well, depending on where you're going to be in France, you could check out the Nancy Aquarium in Nancy, France. There's also a beautiful aquarium in Valencia, Spain if you get the chance.

Get lost in the beauty of Paris...I'm rather partial to the country, if you can't tell by my profession.
Old 06/08/2005, 02:15 PM
Kurshat loves Absolut!

Although I have never been to Italy, according to Italian forums there are shops that sell Mediterranean invertabrates and fish there. I highly recommend you to buy a red Actinia equina. A very very hardy and beautiful anemone.

Names of some Mediterranean fish;Chromis chromis, Conger conger, Anthias anthias, Phycis phycis, Hippocampus hippocampus, Boops boops, Dentex dentex, Pagrus pagrus, Sphyraena sphyraena
Old 06/09/2005, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozadars
Although I have never been to Italy, according to Italian forums there are shops that sell Mediterranean invertabrates and fish there. I highly recommend you to buy a red Actinia equina. A very very hardy and beautiful anemone.
We can actually get these around the shores of the UK, of which i didnt know about.

http://www.marlin.ac.uk/species/Actiniaequina.htm
Old 06/10/2005, 08:21 AM
Registered Member

amsterdam is in the planning but plans change but I guess you guys are right. NO fish stuff, my gf would kill me anyway.
Old 06/10/2005, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

As I live in the Netherlands, I do ofcourse know what most people think of Amsterdam. Coffee shops and other 'opennes' is easy to find, but... It has much more to offer. Great food, beautiful musea, quite a nice zoo and so on.

When in Europe, I can recommend France and England. In Monaco is the world-famous aquarium of Jacques Cousteau. I haven't ever been there, but it should be great!

Don't bother buying live goods. If you want to visit a LFS though, I can recommend several shops in Germany and Holland if you like