Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2004, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

AWESOME TANK!

Wow,very nice!
Old 09/14/2004, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

simply gorgeous!!
Congrat!
Old 09/14/2004, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

copps,

Nice tank man. I love it. I don't know if this has been asked already, but I wasn't about to sort through a 101 threads. Anyway, I am thinking about starting up a 65 gallon tank and since you were going to get your 180 going sometime soon i was wondering if you were going to sell anything that is 65 gallon specific? If so please let me know.

Patrick
Old 09/14/2004, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Where did you get your cardinals? If I remember right they're yellow striped cardinals but I can't find them anywhere online.
Old 09/14/2004, 10:13 PM
Is it Charles or Jen? =)

simply stunning.......great job!!!!
Old 09/14/2004, 11:04 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisd4421
Congratulations!!! That is a beautiful tank.....

I was wondering if you could explain a little more in depth on the plumbing around the circulation of the main tank as well as the Neilsen and Ca reactors. am interested in a simular set up (sort of) but am tryign to get ideas on how to go about it

Thanks

Chris
Chris, I went back and realized I never got to your questions... The circulation for the whole system is provided by two MAK4 1200 gph pumps. The first is the return from the sump, and this tees off to the frag tank (through its own SCWD alternating to each side of the frag tank) and to the main tank (through a 3/4" Sea-Swirl placed in the center of the 65). The second MAK4 is on a closed loop and is fed through a hole drilled through the back of the 65. This then goes through a SCWD with outlets on each side of the 65.

The Nilsen reactor is fed from a reservoir of fresh water hooked up through a float switch in the sump. The reservoir holds a max of five gallons or so, so if the switch ever stuck it would not be a big problem and the sump would handle the extra volume.

The calcium reactor is simply fed by a powerhead in the sump... nothing real special there...

Let me know if that covers everything and again sorry for the late reply...

John

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 09/14/2004, 11:38 PM
angelfish nut!

Thanks very much all... your comments are so much appreciated...

Sid, the tank took a little to settle in, but after a few weeks all of the sand stayed put. When I upgrade I will not use Southdown though, but rather switch to a coarser grade sand for a few reasons, with one of them being I'm going to be using the Tinze Streams. In my opinion DSBs are now outdated and unnecessary. Dealing with nitrates is no longer an issue, and the long term sustainability of DSBs is too much of a hassle to deal with while offering benefits that I achieve through other means. Some things will enter a DSB and never come out... the basic debate has been discussed in many threads... I could elaborate if you like but the last thing I want to do is debate it... I'm not saying they don't work of course...

TexasTodd I have attained them through so many places, with alot being from local buddies... I've been very picky and my patience has paid off...

Bunifa, I think the key to success with this fish starts with an experienced aquarist getting a specimen that is eating, providing it with great water conditions like those seen in sps tanks, and a diet containing sponges and green matter... as always throw in a bit of luck...

AktionJaxsun I spent so much time and effort on the stands and hoods of this system that I'll probably always keep it. When I upgrade to the 180 this guy will become a softie tank, and the calcium reactor will follow the sps... the only thing I'll sell will be frags...

jun41 I got the cardinals from Liveaquaria and as of this moment they have some in stock. They carry them from three different locales. I have the new Scott Michael volume 3 Reef Fishes book (Angelfishes and Butterflyfishes, but also includes a great section on cardinals), and he mentions how Apogon cyanosoma is a complex containing many species. The only other local reefers keeping Apogon genus cardinals I've seen was Robie Sayin (Robz) who keeps Apogon leptacanthus which get along pretty well in a large group. Unfortunately these guys get VERY aggressive when they breed and are widdling themselves down as I find one here and there with "death blows" as a result of breeding pairs. I may increase the school again when I have the 180... they are so striking and almost never seen. I love cardinals and the natural behavior they display in small tanks... except for the death blows ...

cardinals for sale link

Thanks again all... I promise I will post many more pictures this week...

Johnny

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 09/15/2004, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

copps,

Thats alright. Well, hopefully you don't mind if in the near future i bug you about what you think is best since i will be setting up a similar system.

Patrick
Old 09/15/2004, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

really nice tank very inspiring!

you da man
Old 09/15/2004, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the response John. Everytime, I think I've figured out the setup for my tank, something comes along that makes me look through a bunch of postings.

Nevertheless, your tank and other TOTMs inspire me to keep planning and building (lots of DIYs).

BTW, are there physical or behaviour differences between the orange-striped cardinals from Fiji, Indo-Pacific or Coral Sea? Which ones do you have?
Old 09/15/2004, 04:01 PM
angelfish nut!

Boy Sid I know what that's like... but that's one of the many things that make this hobby so enjoyable... no two tanks are the same...

Regarding the cardinals I have ordered both those from Fiji and the Coral Sea from Liveaquaria. Until reading Scott Michael's book recently I had no idea there were differences in appearance but apparently there are. Now that the group has widdled itself down I don't know who is from where. If I had known in advance I would have been able to see the difference possibly. If the very slight color difference were an indicator, any behavioral differences would be negligible.

Are you thinking of getting these guys? What size group in what size tank? Do head over to Amazon and order Scott Michaels volume three... it's the best yet. I was excited to see these cardinals while diving in Guam recently. I'm heading back to Guam next month and will try to get some pics of those...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 09/15/2004, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

yeah COPPS i am a wamas member..sn is LoveReef..
fan of your tanks for long time.
Old 09/15/2004, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

i must inquire about your angel. It does ok in a 65? also, besides zoos what other corals might one pick on? Also, what is the best way for the average reefkeeper to get one. I am going to start a new tank and am looking for ideas. thanks for your help
Old 09/15/2004, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

A very nice reef aquarium. I like your pic's
Old 09/16/2004, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

nice tank I guess a anemne is out of the question in a tank like this. I have lots of brains and new corals sprouting daily, but want to add coral as well. Your tank looks great. take care
Old 09/16/2004, 07:10 PM
Actinia equina

Excellent job! This type of tank is what the pop-eyed smilies were made for!
Old 09/16/2004, 07:12 PM
Actinia equina

Oh, and BTW, if your mind/sanity ever walks out on you and you decide to randomly and spontaeneously give away your tank, i'm here!
Old 09/17/2004, 01:21 AM
Moved On

Sweet looking picture of your reef! I love it when you see someone do such an awesome job in setup!
Old 09/17/2004, 02:15 AM
Premium Member

Great tank!!!! I notice that your skimmer sits on some sort of the pad. What exactly did you use? Was it to silent the skimmer down?

Thanks.
Old 09/17/2004, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

While we would all like to think our tanks look this good....wow! Being raised on the ocean I think this tank looks nicer than the reefs I dive at. Nice Job!
Old 09/17/2004, 04:47 PM
angelfish nut!

thanks guys very much for all the wonderful compliments... it feels great to know other people can enjoy this tank after I've put so many hours into it...

moga, are you going on the trip next weekend to Penn State to meet with Sanjay? If not I'll see you at the next meeting...

reefkeeper he's fine for now in the 65, although he'll be moving soon to the 180... check out this thread here for more info on regals in reefs...

solojrbb I would not keep an anemone in this tank for the simple reason that if it decided to move it would wipe out too much...

lilko my skimmers sitting on a little plastic platform (the baskets used for hoarding jewelry... at least by my wife) to boost it up a bit so it sits at the ideal level in the water...

More pics to come...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 09/17/2004, 04:52 PM
angelfish nut!

Here's me in the living room at the laptop (probably refreshing the reefermadness page)... Scott Michael's new book is open at the kitchen table... sorry for the mess...

Another full tank shot...

Right side shot...

Left side shot...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 09/17/2004, 05:11 PM
angelfish nut!

Some of my many montiporas... 7 of these 11 were started as frags...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 09/17/2004, 05:14 PM
angelfish nut!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 09/17/2004, 05:33 PM
angelfish nut!

Amid the loads of tank pics I have this one of my wife Virginia and me. Always nice to put a face to the name... for those of you locals I don't see at the WAMAS meeting next month, I'll see you next year at MACNA as it is hosted by our great club here in DC!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus