Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/18/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Will anyone pay $10 a pound for live rock?

This week, I stopped at a LFS store in Kendall that was selling Fiji Live Rock for $10 a pound . When I asked why it cost so much, they said it has tons of coraline and pieces of corals attached to it. I dont know about you but I think this is crazy. I remember when you used to get Fiji rock for 3.99 a pound and I even paid a little higher than that but for $10 a pound I wouldn't even dare to think about it. I just bit my tongue and bought some Haitian rock instead which looks nicer and way cheaper.

What do you guys think? Is this a reasonable price for live rock?

Chino

-Michael Corleone
The Godfather
Old 08/18/2007, 09:16 AM
TANK RAIDER!

chino I think its pretty steep 2.

The average for fiji cured is 5-7 per pound. And even that I think is expensive.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:25 AM
Premium Member

Steep, I personally go by the shape of the rock instead of where it comes from and never had a problem with coraline taking over, after all if thing go the way we hope for in a couple of years all you will see is live coral.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Re: Will anyone pay $10 a pound for live rock?

Quote:
Originally posted by chinoxl3
What do you guys think? Is this a reasonable price for live rock?

Chino

Aahhhh in one word no. You can get figi for $4/lb online or $2 from a local reefer. Stores price things for those customers who do not know better. Remember for every one of us here there is probably 50 that just listen to the LFS's advice. They never look online for stuff. They just want one place to go to get set up.
Old 08/18/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Come up to Canada its anywhere from $8 to $12 per lb
in a city with 8 stores (edmonton)
Old 08/18/2007, 11:13 AM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikenmick
Come up to Canada its anywhere from $8 to $12 per lb
in a city with 8 stores (edmonton)
true that we r very lucky
Old 08/18/2007, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

if i had to do all over again i would buy dead base rock and two pcs of live and save $$$$
Old 08/18/2007, 12:11 PM
Kiss my Wrasse

Speaking of dead base rock, Cubano is giving me some base/live rock, which is really awesome. However if you guys no anyone that has some other dead base rock they want to sell/give away let me know.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 08/18/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, some LFS are totally out of hand...

The other day I visited House of Fins and they were nursing a 'rainbow paly' colony that wasn't opening up for one of their customers. When I asked about it, Marlon said that the customer bought it for -get this- $1,200 at Atlantis Aquariums next door. I wouldn't have paid $200 for that!! even he was amazed that an lfs would charge that much for a coral.
Old 08/18/2007, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

You should have seen the look on my wife when she heard the price. My wife is not an experienced reefer but she knew right away that it was over priced. Don't get me wrong, they were nice looking rocks and I wouldn't have mind a buck or two over the standard price but $10...give me a break!

BTW, does anyone know if it is becoming more expensive to get fji rock nowadays? I know a couple of years ago, there was a problem with collecting fiji rock and all the shipments were stopped. They eventually continued the shipment but I haven't heard any news since then.

-Michael Corleone
The Godfather
Old 08/18/2007, 03:29 PM
Moved On

$10 is a bit high, but if it has really nice shape and a lot of actual corals on it then it depends. On the other hand $2 lb from a local reefer? Let me know when this happens. I don't think fiji rock that is devoid of life and has no coralline counts as quality rock. Most cheap reefer rock around here is like that.

Miami people are just spoiled in general when it comes to coral prices. (not counting the crazy zoo rock)
Most stores in Miami sell corals for a good 25-50% cheaper than stores not even as far up as Orlando. Take a look at how high prices are in stores in the Northeast.
Then a lot people in Miami still complain to store owners about the prices being too high. If you really want a reality check, go take a peek at the stores in the UK and see how much they ask for a single mushroom. lol
Old 08/18/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

what! fiji isnt that nice, now some of the rock that comes out of indonesia, a maze ing!
Old 08/18/2007, 09:53 PM
See if you can pingaso it

nope
Old 08/18/2007, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

well a got 4 pounds at $10/pound from them but the two pieces are really nice one is a thin plate about 10 inches across and the other has 3 places to mount future frags fully loaded with purple and a lot of red coraline. But i can't help, i can't buy any fish coral right now because i only have a 16g bow and a 10g full of live rocks that will go into a new 90g that should be fully setup in the next few weeks. Having a custom stand and canopy made for it. This time i want to setup a tank to keep my corals and fish in healthy and stable environment.
Old 08/18/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

hi! how much did you bought your haitian LR? anyone knows a LFS at SW miami that sells cheap LR?
Old 08/19/2007, 06:59 PM
Moved On

Haitian is $3-4.00 per lb I think. I have 40lbs of haitian for $160.00. Clearing out our tanks.
Old 08/19/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

but hatian looks like red lava rock. None of the good structures of figi, tonga or marshal. ITs also round like a potato and hard to stack. Thats why I am always looking for rock. I am replacing the potato.
Old 08/19/2007, 09:51 PM
Addicted to the Reef

hatian is shelf rock. figi is usualy potato

"to many tanks not enough r/o"