Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

What to turn off when feeding

Hi all,
When feeding my corals and fish should I turn off my PH and skimmer? Thanks!
-Pete
Old 06/18/2005, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

yes...I would if you have to target feed your corals and such...

I usually just mix some food with some saltwater in a shot glass and let the food soak for a few...then I just drop the water in the tank and the food gets to who needs it (with the powerheads off)

Been doing this for about five months and well...everything is thriving...
Old 06/18/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

good deal!
Old 06/18/2005, 09:54 PM
Moved On

I leave all my pumps running. This way the fish dont get complacent and always expect food in the same place. Also helps bring out the natural hunting movements.
Old 06/18/2005, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

So with the pumps running will my trumpet, GSP, and zoo rock be able to get what they need? I spray microvert to my GSP with a syringe above them. Will the trumpet and zoos just catch the stuff floating around?
Old 06/18/2005, 10:55 PM
Generic Member

I leave everything on and let it fly. I dont want anything sinking to the bottom.
Old 06/18/2005, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I turn all my pumps off. This way I do not over feed and I know who is eating and who is not. I also feed in different places in the tank. This has worked well for me for over a year now. Good luck fiding what works best for you.

T
Old 06/18/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

i leave things running in the tank but turn off the pump from the sump. this way food doesn't go downstairs right away.

Old 06/19/2005, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

I leave everything running as well. I just put my feeding tube right above my trumpet and push the food out slowly, once it starts closing around it I pull the tube knowling he's got a good hold.

This also works well with my Sun Coral and all fish and shrimp race right to the tube when they see it, usually I feed them first so there is no "stealing" from the corals.

HTH
Old 06/19/2005, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

So would it be a good idea for me to turn off the pumps and powerheads so that the food goes in their mouths not the sand and rock?
Old 06/19/2005, 01:54 AM
Worm person

I used to turn off powerheads when the food was evenly distributed over the tank, so that it could settle to the bottom where my worms could get it. I stopped doing it because I got too lazy and the food eventually settles anyway.
Old 06/19/2005, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

I let everything keep going. Wayy.....to annoying to shut everything off and I don't trust my pumps to restart on their own.
Old 06/19/2005, 03:51 AM
Premium Member

I have a wavemaster pro that has a feeding cycle. Press one button and main pump shuts off for 30 minutes while powerheads still run. Automatically turns back on.
Old 06/19/2005, 11:11 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I leave everything running, and once a week or so I target feed things that I think should get something.
Old 06/19/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I leave all of my powerheads on but I turn off my skimmer for about an hour.

Matthew
Old 06/19/2005, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I turn off all my pumps and powerheads and target feed my suncoral and bubbles (I usually "target feed" the shrimp first so they don't rape the corals of food!!!). Then I turn on the powerheads after about 10 minutes and let the remaining food make it's way around the tank. Then, after about 1/2 hour, I turn the pump back on.

I keep the pump off to keep the "concentration" of cyclopese and liquid life high for a period of time so the corals get the maximum absorbsion of these nutrients. Seems to be working - tank is thriving, corals are growing, and no algae blooms from excess food (I only feed meaty food 2 times per week. Rest of the feedings are flake, which I do not turn anything off when feeding flake).

Hope that was helpful.

Cheryl