Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/19/2005, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

turning HOB filter into a fuge

I want to turn my emperor 350 bio wheel filter into a refugium, is this possible? I have read in one of the posts that this was possible by taking out the filter media and replacing with crushed live rock? I need the fuge to help support a copepod population to feed my mandarin and scooter blenny. If anyone has done this please help as I want to do this today if it will work.

thanks
Chris
Old 06/19/2005, 08:37 AM
Professional Aquarist

I and others have converted Hagen power filters to refugiums before. I would take out all the filter media and fill that compartment with about 1-2" of liverock rubble (instead of crushed coral).

19th Annual Marine Aquarium Conference of North America (MACNA)
in Pittsburgh, PA September 14-16, 2007
Old 06/19/2005, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

go with a hangon refugium... on sale at liveaquaria... my 2 cents
Old 06/19/2005, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewpy
go with a hangon refugium... on sale at liveaquaria... my 2 cents
I've heard this before but I'm not sure why...
Old 06/19/2005, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

taking out the filter out of my HOB and replacing with crushed live rock just sounds too easy but I will try it.

Now after I do this can I just dump a bottle of seapods which is on the way and most of them will live and propegate in the HOB. Also will the pods be able to get back in the main tank through the return of the HOB?
Old 06/19/2005, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

I have hang on refugium and i am getting another next week for my second tank... I love 'em... Macro's grow great, pods as well-- they make into the aquarium better then any sump style i would say.

Simple, and quiet, easy to light, clear, and hold more water then DYI jobbies...

I install a maxi jet 900 inside the the refugium to create a nice flow that can tumble chaeto and keep water moving while still allowing a slower contact time then pumping more water in and out faster.

If you put the intake of the powerhead where water comes into the refugium then it circulates water and does not suck up anything in the fuge... Angle the poweheads deflector slighty up and to the side and it's awesome circulation. The clear acylic let's you see it too.

I think the main disadvantage of the DYI jobbies is many jsut are not big enough... When you add macro, the macro becomes like filter and has to cleaned.

The hang on one are just big enough to a few good sizes clumps of macro that can tumble and clean themselves...