Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2007, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Is this cyano?

I need a confirmation.

Thanks!

"You cannot achieve what you are not willing to pursue."
Old 04/11/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

pretty positive that it is cyano
Old 04/11/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Looks like it to me. Looks a bit more stingy than i usually see it, but it can do that.

whats your nitrates, phosphates, and what type of water do you use, and how good of flow do you have? Last, is the tank new at all?
Old 04/11/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

It's very stringy and covering my soft corals. My Phos, Trates have been zero for about a month. The tank is about 4 months old. I use RO/DI and my TDS has been consistantly zero. I've had the bacteria now for about 2 weeks. I've done several heavy water changes with no luck. I'm about to try Chemi-Clean. I think this may have started when I switch to DT's Phyto. Ever heard that happening?

"You cannot achieve what you are not willing to pursue."
Old 04/11/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I would say yes but, I would like more info. on the tank. Feeding habits, water change, light cycle, bulb age, elements added and how much,do have a skimmer and how it is performing. Flow could also be a suspect. Something died.
Old 04/11/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I´ve heard that flow is a big factor when it comes to cyano. It looks like a cyano to me anyway,... how big is your tank and what´s your flow?
Old 04/11/2007, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Yes it is.
Old 04/11/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

yup, definitely Cyano. Your PO4 might be giving you a false "0" reading as the Cyano may be consuming the phosphates as fast as they are produced. I would NOT use Chemi-clean!!! I know many have and with good results but I used it and followed all of the directions and it nuked my tank...took care of the Cyano but also killed 85% of all my livestock by bottoming out my alkalinity. If you do decide to go this route please be very careful! I'm battling cyano again now and am using a phosphate remover (PHOSaR) and running carbon to some success. I think flow plays a big part and my wife just ordered me two Hydor Koralia model 2's for my birthday so hopefully that will help. This stuff is very resilient and battling it can be very frustrating...I feel your pain man. Good luck!!!
MaxiJet 1200 Pump
2 Hydor Koralia Model 1's
Old 04/11/2007, 09:33 PM
Keeper of water boxes.

A four month old system is still a baby. Stop adding livestock and let the system mature.
And phosphate can not be instantly taken up by lifeforms, so if its in there you will get a reading.
Whoever started that myth needs to be slapped around.

If the life forms are consuming phosphate as fast as it is produced, and the source is cut off the life would die. But it doesnt. Why? Because phosphate isnt the problem.

So dont add anything new that is alive and give it time.

Or ignore everything I typed and continue stressing.
Old 04/11/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Test for phosphates/nitrates at night when the lights have been out for a few hours. You may get a different reading.

Using chemi-clean wont cure it more than likely. For some it does, but it doesnt fix the problem. It only kills off the bacteria for a little bit, but there's nothing stopping it from coming right back, so i dont recommend using it.

Also, the tank is only 4 months old....you can go through many algae (or in this case its bacteria) phases w/in the first year or so....i personally wouldnt even worry. Like omni said....4 months is still just a baby Give it time and good flow. I personally dont really buy into old bulbs being a cause for it.
Old 04/11/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Does it taste like cyano? j.k
Old 04/11/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Cyano for sure. Seems like most everyone goes through a bloom now and again.

No stress. Just turn leave your lights off for 3 days.

Be sure to keep up your normal maintenence. Do a water change at the end of the 3 days if you're up to it.

I just went through one and the light thing worked perfectly.

-Chip
Old 04/11/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

oops double post

-Chip