Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/03/2007, 01:33 PM
Premium Member

Grim-

Can I trouble you for your opinion on what type of T5 bulbs for the following application:

48" long and 24" front to back tank, primarily SPS corals

I plan to put a single 250W de Ushio 14K in a mini-stealth pendant on a light mover, and figure I'll need 2 x 54W T5s on either side for supplemental light and actinics.

Looking for something to really make the colors pop.

Thanks much.
Old 09/03/2007, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

hey grim i have been reading through this thread and still cant come up with a solution to my problem. i have a 140g tank 48"L x 28"W x 24"H. i dont know if i should go with t5's or mh. i want to keep zoanthids and softies. please give me a solution to my problem.
Old 09/03/2007, 04:09 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by TulsaReefer
Got my T5 parts in, and finishing up getting it all wired up in the hood, basically built a 1/2 wood box around my tubes, with a .090 lucite splash guard. Drilled holes in the ends, nice sized ones at that, and then mounted a pair of 120mm low speed fans in the top. When I tested it seems they pull air quite nicely over the endcaps and out the top of the entire enclosure. I'm finishing up the connections to the IceCap 660 that will drive the 4 x 4' tubes and was wondering this:

What is the optimal temperature to run this all at? I'm going to test fire it up and put an electronic thermometer in the unit to check things out, and was wondering what temp should I target at the endcap, and the tubes? I want to make sure I have enough cooling, and then again, not too much.
95 degrees is supposed to be the air temp around the lamps. Try getting a reading and then shut down the fans for about 10 minutes to see how effective the cooling system is.
Old 09/03/2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by salmon alley
Grim-

Can I trouble you for your opinion on what type of T5 bulbs for the following application:

48" long and 24" front to back tank, primarily SPS corals

I plan to put a single 250W de Ushio 14K in a mini-stealth pendant on a light mover, and figure I'll need 2 x 54W T5s on either side for supplemental light and actinics.

Looking for something to really make the colors pop.

Thanks much.
Front
Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
HALIDE
Blue Plus for a subdued look or GE 6500K if you want it bright
Blue Plus for subdued or Aquablue for bright.
Old 09/03/2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bishoptaner
hey grim i have been reading through this thread and still cant come up with a solution to my problem. i have a 140g tank 48"L x 28"W x 24"H. i dont know if i should go with t5's or mh. i want to keep zoanthids and softies. please give me a solution to my problem.
If your doing just softies and zoos a 8 lamp Tek would be fine. If you think you might move up to SPS or clams and such get the 7 lamp Aquactinics.
Old 09/03/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
95 degrees is supposed to be the air temp around the lamps. Try getting a reading and then shut down the fans for about 10 minutes to see how effective the cooling system is.
I think I'm within tolerance then, output air from the fans runs right at 98, but on the ends where the air is drawn in it's quite a bit cooler of course since it's room temp air and it hasn't had time to pick up any heat. I'll try to get a reading from between the tubes, mid-way down the distance from the end to the fans that are in the middle. The endcaps seem cool to the touch after running for an hour or more. Is it possible to overcool and lose efficiency?

I went with the tube mix you suggested a while back, a pair of Blue plus, 1 Aquasun, and 1 Aquablue, and I'll be running a pair of VHO Actinics as well. More blue overall than my old VHO lights when I compare them, but this is a nice crisp color that I think I'll really like. I'm holding off putting the new lights over the tank until next weekend as I have to be out of town all this week and want to be able to keep an eye on things for the first few days. For now they are running on my test bench to make sure all is good and stable. I'm also planning to put a couple layers of fiberglass window screen over them for a while, taking off a layer at a time as things acclimate. These T5s seem from to be much more intense than my old VHO setup. These SLR reflectors are crazy bright and shiny as well, and as I put them behind a lucite splash shield hopefully they will stay clean as well.

Last edited by TulsaReefer; 09/03/2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09/03/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

So where is everyone getting there bulbs from? Anyone know a place with the best prices?

Thanks

-Matthew
Old 09/03/2007, 05:30 PM

reefgeek.com usually has the best selection and about the lowest prices.
Old 09/03/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
reefgeek.com usually has the best selection and about the lowest prices.
Thanks!

Aww I told myself I would never ask but here goes...

I have an 8 bulb 48" tek fixture. I keep all sps and want good growth and amazing colors. I am about to purchase new bulbs. What do you recommend on my 75g tank?

Thanks

-Matthew
Old 09/03/2007, 08:35 PM

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
GE 6500K
Aquablue
GE 3000K or UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
Super Actinic
Blue Plus

Sould be what you are looking for
Old 09/03/2007, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Grim,

I know you have fielded many, many questions regarding this, but if it's not too much trouble, could I ask for your opinion concerning a lighting issue? I currently have a 48LX18WX25H 90 gal. tank w/a 2-3 in. sand bed....am considering either the Aquactinics Constellation or a MH/T5 combo (possibly Odessya or Aquactinics) and would like your opinion on which type, Constellation or MH/T5 combo, would be better considering I will be keeping LPS/SPS/Clams on the bottom? And whatever your suggestion, what would a good bulb lighting mix be for that fixture? I would like a white/blue hue if possible. Thank you for your assistance.
Old 09/03/2007, 09:15 PM

Stick with the aquactinics stuff whichever type of light you decide on. If you are doing a mixed reef I would probably go with the halides as long as heat isn't an issue. Probably a good 10 or 14K halide with Blue Plus and Super Actinic T5's for supplimental.
Old 09/03/2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

I've always heard good things about the tek fixtures and how they have individual reflectors and such yet in this thread it almost sounds as if they are not regarded as highly as the aquactinic fixtures. I thought the tek fixtures were among the best. Are they not? What makes the aquactinic lights so much better?
Old 09/03/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schoch79
I've always heard good things about the tek fixtures and how they have individual reflectors and such yet in this thread it almost sounds as if they are not regarded as highly as the aquactinic fixtures. I thought the tek fixtures were among the best. Are they not? What makes the aquactinic lights so much better?
Aquactinics fixture comes with better ballasts IMO and a fan that really helps exhaust the heat which usually lessens the amount of light output.

HTH

-Matthew
Old 09/03/2007, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Old 09/03/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, double post.
Old 09/04/2007, 05:14 AM
Registered Member

Ok Grim I have a 190 gal 24 tall and 30 wide how many t5s do I need to keep sps and clams also how long the 4 footers ok the tank is 5 ft long?
Old 09/04/2007, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

what is the diff between IC VHO and HO? 48x24x24. you previously said 6 t-5's would be good.

so for clams BTA's and whatever else i could imagine.....

i could get the
6x54 HO for $450
6x54 VHO 610
8x54 HO for for 600.

i want something that gives me options, but doesnt steal my bank accout at the same time. so that means no aquatinics lol or ati. hell, i dont know how i can afford the ones up there lol
Old 09/04/2007, 11:39 AM

The Teks are the worst of the best. The aquactinics has better reflectors and active cooling which helps a lot.

Quote:
Old 09/04/2007, 11:39 AM

The Teks are the worst of the best. The aquactinics has better reflectors and active cooling which helps a lot.

Quote:
Old 09/04/2007, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wastwage
Ok Grim I have a 190 gal 24 tall and 30 wide how many t5s do I need to keep sps and clams also how long the 4 footers ok the tank is 5 ft long?
I'd probably get on reefgeeks waiting list for a 10 lamp ATI Powermodule. Aquactinics is going to be doing a 5 foot Constellation T5 fixture as well. That is 7 lamps and would work fine if you place the Clams so they are under the light.
Old 09/04/2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ThrowinRoost89
what is the diff between IC VHO and HO? 48x24x24. you previously said 6 t-5's would be good.

so for clams BTA's and whatever else i could imagine.....

i could get the
6x54 HO for $450
6x54 VHO 610
8x54 HO for for 600.

i want something that gives me options, but doesnt steal my bank accout at the same time. so that means no aquatinics lol or ati. hell, i dont know how i can afford the ones up there lol
Get a 4 lamp VHO and a 2 lamp HO. Use the 2 lamp system for a blue Plus and Super actinic lamp. That gives you a nice Dusk/dawn scheme. Get a UVL Aquasun, GE Daylight, Blue Plus and Aquablue for the VHO(Ice Cap driven) set. Upgrade the Reflectors on the 2 lamp unit to Ice Caps. It costs a couple bucks each.
Old 09/04/2007, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Grim,

I posted to you a few months ago about setting up a new 180 gallon reef and going with all T-5s...I bought the Aquactinics 72" 14 bulb fixture and I am very excited to see it up.You advised me which bulbs to go with for the best coloration AND growth and I followed your advice. I have the tank up and running now, I am just still in the midst of aquascaping and do not want to keep putting the fixture on and off until I am finished. My problem is that now that I have the tank up, many people have been naysayers about my going with all T-5s on this size tank. I will have a mixed tank, softies, LPS and maybe some Sps or a clam down the line. I guess i am just looking for confirmation on here that my tank can be a sucess with this light fixture, as I do NOT want to use halides again. I really like the coloration I have seen with T-5s AND the lack of a real heat issue and less electricity use is a big PLUS in my book.

Thanks for all your advice and help to all of us!

Jenni
Old 09/04/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Grim, can you point me at a primer on where to use T5 and where not to use. Sorry for not reading 23 pages before asking, I'm slowly making my way through the thread.

I'm planning an 8 foot tank 96 long by 16-18 deep by 18x22 tall that will be built into a custom 10'x10' wall unit. I just recently saw an all SPS running a Solar Flare and was amazed.

I'll be keeping a mixed reef with clams (everything from mushrooms, to ricordia, to zoas, frogspawn/torch, to montipora, acropora).

I'm not enjoying the heating issues with my metal halides, so T5 intrigues me very much, but I want to be successful. I would have planned 4x250 hqi + VHO for actinic before seeing the T5s.

Also, any reason not to build my own solar flare style? Is there anything on that unit I can't buy separately besides the reflector?

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 09/04/2007, 12:27 PM
Premium Member

petes..

could you point me to a picture of this all SPS tank running the Solar Flare?

Thanks!