Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/13/2004, 12:49 AM
sedentaryologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Niven
When people don't use their BLINKER!!!! It erks me SOOOO much! I've started to try to set people up, especially when their coming on the on ramp. I'm not backing off until you turn your blinker on! ....and sort of to go along with this, the people that don't use their blinkers seem to always have their cell phone glued to their ear.
oh and Chris Collinsworth/Troy Aikman combo.
What annoys me is when I am coming onto a highway from an onramp and use my blinker, only to see someone speed up to block me, because they dont want to be stuck behind the 'big slow truck'. People who do this get taught real quick what their brake pedal is for. When I turn on my signal and try to merge into traffic where there is a space, only to be blocked by someone intentionally, I take my lane anyway, I have caused several people to slam on their brakes. If you see me merging into the lane from an onramp and I have my blinker on (I always use it). I suggest you stay out of my way.

And rather than slow down for tailgaters, I just slam on my brakes full force . .for about 1/2 a second, then back on the gas. I havnt been hit yet and I dont get tailgated as much anymore . . Its one thing to be held up by someone that wont run the speed limit, but I am usually doing 5 to 10 over, and the people just keep tailgating. I even slow down for them in passing zones and they wont go around me . . I have no sympathy or compassion for people like this anymore, I will put them in the ditch and not think twice about it.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 01/13/2004, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Sharing the national title with USC.
Old 01/13/2004, 01:40 AM
Not that way, minions!!

Our freakin' football coach leaving after 2 consecutive NCAA DIV 2 National Championships. "Hey, maybe since Grand Valley is good now, I'll just leave and go to Central Michigan, where they really, really suck." Sell-out.
Old 01/13/2004, 02:32 AM
I'm Not Creative

Quote:
+ My Astreas falling upsidedown
This irritates me. too.

Freed: You and I see eye to eye on a lot... well I guess a lot of us agree on this stuff.

I hate it when fellow college students, upon seeing my tank ask, Are you raising those shrimp to eat?

Fox's newest reality show 'Fast animals, slow children.'
Old 01/13/2004, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
And rather than slow down for tailgaters, I just slam on my brakes full force . .for about 1/2 a second, then back on the gas.
YES!! That was my favorite trick until I had kids. Now I can't take those kind of chances, although I have to fight the urge greatly. I especially enjoy doing that when they are on the phone.

Speaking of phones.....Are there really not enough things to concentrate on while driving? Do you really need to be talking on the phone and trying to follow the conversation? I promise you if you pull some stupid driving manuver around me while on the phone I will be on my horn until you get off the phone or off the highway.

I love truckers that try to intimidate the little mommy in the station wagon by getting 6 inches off my bumper on the highway while i'm going 70 + mph. My dad was a trucker most of his life and taught me how to drive. I also used to ride with him quite often. What bothers me is that these guys seem to think that they are driving a honda civic or something. If you are 6 inches off my tail and I have to slam on the brakes for something your 3 ton truck ain't stopping in time! These are the ones that i slow down for, while keeping someone on my left/right hand side so they can't pass. Usually I get down to around 50 and keep them there until they back off or I feel I've made my point. I get lots of highbeams!!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 01/13/2004, 11:38 AM
sedentaryologist

I have a kid too, I would never do anything like that with him in the truck with me, or my wife. I am usually on the road alone though. Im just waiting for the day someone doesnt react quick enough and actually hits me. I could use a new truck and all the better if someone else has to pay for it.

have you pooped yet? -Nina51
Old 01/13/2004, 11:47 AM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
The biggest thing that get me going is when you see someone who has a new car and the park in 2 spaces so noone can park next to them and ding their precious new bmw.
Sometimes i just want to walk up and kick the car to show them.
but i never would.
Doctors and lawyers are good for this.
Old 01/13/2004, 02:45 PM
Explore the studio space

reefers who name their clownfish Nemo.

(unless it's because their kid wants them to name it that)

"Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems." - Homer Simpson
Old 01/13/2004, 03:18 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by ginntonic74
The biggest thing that get me going is when you see someone who has a new car and the park in 2 spaces so noone can park next to them and ding their precious new bmw.
Sometimes i just want to walk up and kick the car to show them.
but i never would.
Doctors and lawyers are good for this.
the problem is that most people have no respect for other another's belongings and will ding the car. this is a vicious cycle. you ding my car, i take 2 parking spots to avoid further dings which will only lead to making you more mad. within 2 mo's of purchasing my car, i got 2 dings, one of which ripped off clearcoat.

onto those folks that slam on their brakes when being tailgated....why the heck do you do this.....does it make you feel good? this practice is highly dangerous and asinine, imo. i understand if you get upset when you are being tailgated when there is a slew of cars in front of you, but if you are in the fast lane with miles of empty highway ahead of you....move the heck outta my way so that i can continue on my journey.

as mentioned before....slower traffic to the right.....
Old 01/13/2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

I have no problem with slower traffic to the right. but if i'm in the middle of passing somebody (or bodies) and you feel that going 85 mph is necessary you can hold your butt up for a few minutes while i finish passing. If you feel the need to be two inches off my butt that's what makes it dangerous. If you were following at a safe distance then i could randomly slam on my brakes as often as i wanted and not impact your driving one way or the other. Therefore if you absolutly cannot wait two minutes for me to finish passing and feel the need to "hurry me up" your day will instantly be inconvienced (unless my kids are with me) as much as possible. IMO tailgating in that instance is just being a umm....jerk. (not the word i wanted to use) That being said, if someone is going 60 in the passing lane and the right is free and clear, i'll pass on the right before i'll take off my cruise control.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 01/13/2004, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

ok, enough with all the traffic yapping, those things bug me so much I get tense just reading it.

How bout the wonderful way nobody has any manners anymore?
I would never pick up the phone and say "s'up" before saying hello and finding out who it was.
I also open doors for people. But yesterday I was holding a box in one arm and my 2 year old in the other, and this guy walked around me, opened the door of the post office only enough for himself and totally ignored me. What a poo-head.
Old 01/13/2004, 07:00 PM
Xenia Philanthropist

Ok, here is a weird, non-traffic related thing that is annoying to me.

The ice cream truck was just going through our neighborhood (it's 73 here right now).

You expect that an ice cream truck will play a circus related song or a cute kids' song, but no.

Our ice cream truck plays "Popeye the Sailor Man".

What the heck does POPEYE have to do with ICE CREAM?!?!?!

I don't know, but I cringe every time that truck comes around.

Crystal
Old 01/14/2004, 09:44 AM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
WHen i go to mcdonalds drive thru and
#1 they forget something. I always double check but that one time i dont i get screwed
#2 They ask you anything else before you are done
#3 No one says thank you
#4 You get home and your quarter pounder w cheese looks like it was smashed. The cheese is half on half off the bun, condiments are all over the place.
Old 01/14/2004, 09:49 AM
¤º°`°º¤ø,,ø¤º°`°º¤

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
the problem is that most people have no respect for other another's belongings and will ding the car. this is a vicious cycle. you ding my car, i take 2 parking spots to avoid further dings which will only lead to making you more mad. within 2 mo's of purchasing my car, i got 2 dings, one of which ripped off clearcoat.

onto those folks that slam on their brakes when being tailgated....why the heck do you do this.....does it make you feel good? this practice is highly dangerous and asinine, imo. i understand if you get upset when you are being tailgated when there is a slew of cars in front of you, but if you are in the fast lane with miles of empty highway ahead of you....move the heck outta my way so that i can continue on my journey.

as mentioned before....slower traffic to the right.....
Hehe, you people that like to take up 2 spots, I like to try to fit into one of the spots and get as close as possible, then I usually accidentally hit the mirror with my arm when I'm getting out. Dings happen to all of us, if it's that much of a concern maybe parking in the back of the parking lot will solve the problem
Old 01/14/2004, 01:47 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by NTidd
Hehe, you people that like to take up 2 spots, I like to try to fit into one of the spots and get as close as possible, then I usually accidentally hit the mirror with my arm when I'm getting out. Dings happen to all of us, if it's that much of a concern maybe parking in the back of the parking lot will solve the problem
like i was saying, lack of respect for anothers property. why do you find it necessary to hit the mirror of the car next to you? it just perpetuates the downward spiral.

i am guilty of taking 1 1/4 parking spaces at times. damn those compact spaces and suvs that think they can fit in them.

i have tried parking at the other end of the lot, but sooner or later the lot gets filled and i get a damn ding.

the bottomline is that dings WILL NOT happen it people have respect for others.
Old 01/14/2004, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

I take 2 spaces I also park ALL the way back in the parking lot. As in no mans land. I take the last two spaces and call it good. I am sick of my $5000 paint jobs getting dinged. So I have also learned how to walk all the way to the store from the last spot

If you are going to do it, you should not ever do it near the front. That makes you a jerk.

Koi

(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
«·*KoiKeeper*·»
(¸.·'´(¸.·'´ `'·.¸)`'·.¸)
Old 01/14/2004, 02:49 PM
SpEd Man

I love truckers that jump in the fast lane to pass with a huge hill in site knowing there is no way in the world they will be able to pass before they get there. Then they have to drop several hundred yards behind the car they were trying to pass and I am running 40 in the fast lane. Also, those people who are running 1/16 on a mile per hour faster than the car in front of them and just have to jump in front of you to pass, especially when there is no one in site behind you. Just a few of the things that make me say hmmmm.
Steve
Old 01/14/2004, 02:50 PM
¤º°`°º¤ø,,ø¤º°`°º¤

Quote:
like i was saying, lack of respect for anothers property. why do you find it necessary to hit the mirror of the car next to you? it just perpetuates the downward spiral.

i am guilty of taking 1 1/4 parking spaces at times. damn those compact spaces and suvs that think they can fit in them.

i have tried parking at the other end of the lot, but sooner or later the lot gets filled and i get a damn ding.

the bottomline is that dings WILL NOT happen it people have respect for others.
I usually hit the mirror because it is in my way when I get out, I'm not doing any damage physical damage to the vehicle, just annoying the driver as they are annoying me by taking up to spots. I think you are more of a target if you do take up two spots. I respect those that can park properly.
Old 01/14/2004, 03:06 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
I usually hit the mirror because it is in my way when I get out, I'm not doing any damage physical damage to the vehicle, just annoying the driver as they are annoying me by taking up to spots. I think you are more of a target if you do take up two spots. I respect those that can park properly.
why annoy another because you are annoyed? you are doing physical damage....albeit not quite as noticeable. however for car enthusiasts (anal retentive at that) such as myself, you have blemished my clearcoat and i will need to buff it out. or if you hit the actual mirror, you can damage the motors inside the mirror.

for folks like koikeeper and me, we are not jerks that take 2 spots in the front of the lot. hell, i park in one spot 99.5% of the time and what do i get? dings! not only are they @ $100 to pop out, but the latest one ripped off the paint and i need to get the entire panel reshot (repainted) to the tune of at least $750 if i want to restore the paint to factory condition...........and my car is only 6 months new.

if i ever catch someone ding my door/car, they will have a foot up their butt in no time.

ok, enough ranting for a day.
Old 01/14/2004, 06:29 PM
I need to get a life.

let's see i'm mildly annoyed as of five minutes ago

girls who agree to go out then later inform you they just want to be friends b/c they already have a boyfriend. can you get any more cruel than that?

Oh and other annoyances

#1 most common is definately people who stop on onramps

people who can't maintain a constant speed and still yet still insist on passing you (usually just before slowing down again.)

later,
steve
Old 01/14/2004, 06:36 PM
SpEd Man

Just curious Wilafur, what kind of car do you have?
Old 01/14/2004, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

I Hate:: Un~supervised, loud childeren in public places. Esp. resturants............... & busy signals.. also fax numbers instead of the home/phone number .........Rude high school retail sales people who are ignorant & just don't give a s**t about helping you out!!
Old 01/14/2004, 07:14 PM
¤º°`°º¤ø,,ø¤º°`°º¤

Quote:
why annoy another because you are annoyed? you are doing physical damage....albeit not quite as noticeable. however for car enthusiasts (anal retentive at that) such as myself, you have blemished my clearcoat and i will need to buff it out. or if you hit the actual mirror, you can damage the motors inside the mirror.

for folks like koikeeper and me, we are not jerks that take 2 spots in the front of the lot. hell, i park in one spot 99.5% of the time and what do i get? dings! not only are they @ $100 to pop out, but the latest one ripped off the paint and i need to get the entire panel reshot (repainted) to the tune of at least $750 if i want to restore the paint to factory condition...........and my car is only 6 months new.

if i ever catch someone ding my door/car, they will have a foot up their butt in no time.

ok, enough ranting for a day.
Well I annoy them because they are annoying me, and if they could park like a normal human being they wouldn't have this issue, I figure maybe, just maybe next time they will think twice about taking up 2 places. Physical damage from touching the mirror? I still would have to disagree.
Old 01/14/2004, 07:27 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
Originally posted by crab0000
Just curious Wilafur, what kind of car do you have?
an audi

Quote:
Well I annoy them because they are annoying me, and if they could park like a normal human being they wouldn't have this issue, I figure maybe, just maybe next time they will think twice about taking up 2 places. Physical damage from touching the mirror? I still would have to disagree.
this is almost like a chicken or egg, which came first debate. if people had the common courtesy and respect to not ding cars, i am 99.99% sure people will not take up 2 parking spots to avoid getting the dings in the first place.

as for mirrors, i agree to disagree.
Old 01/14/2004, 07:30 PM
¤º°`°º¤ø,,ø¤º°`°º¤

Agreed.