Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/25/2007, 08:46 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...7#post11249737
Old 11/25/2007, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

I apologize DrBegalke I thought we were talking about this season. That division is a joke this season. All weak teams. Thats ok though, if I get to see LSU play Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl I will feel better. Can you even begin to imagine the whipping that is going to take place on that field. I actually would feel bad for Colt after having such a sweet season. Flashbacks of what Florida did to Ohio State last year.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:26 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Yes we know that Daniels and McFadden both deserve the Heisman but Tebow tied an all-time rushing TD record for QB's with 22 and is the first player in college football history to run for 20 and pass for 20 TD's in the same season, only reason he won't win it is because he is a sophmore and the Gators aren't having the season that Mizzou is but whatever Tebow deserves it just as much as either of those two
Old 11/25/2007, 09:26 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Yes we know that Daniels and McFadden both deserve the Heisman but Tebow tied an all-time rushing TD record for QB's with 22 and is the first player in college football history to run for 20 and pass for 20 TD's in the same season, only reason he won't win it is because he is a sophmore and the Gators aren't having the season that Mizzou is but whatever Tebow deserves it just as much as either of those two
Old 11/25/2007, 10:33 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Go Oklahoma!

Last edited by DrBegalke; 11/25/2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 10:41 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

rcypert:

The 5-6 years was a reference to this comment:

"The SEC is by far the best conference. If anyone disagrees than you're nothing but an unintelligent idiot that doesn't know crap about college football... The SEC is the flat out best conference and has been for about 5-6 years."

Apparently the criteria for being the best conference is:

1) Only being good for a short period of time.
2) Not winning the Heisman.
3) Not having a team in the national championship game year after year.
4) Not having a single team ranked in the top five.

etc.
Old 11/25/2007, 11:22 AM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

Quote:
Originally posted by rcypert
I apologize DrBegalke I thought we were talking about this season. .... Flashbacks of what Florida did to Ohio State last year.
Are we talking about this season, or last year?

If you think I am going to feel bad about Ohio State's season last year, or this year, you are mistaken... or even the last 6 years...

2007:
11-1, likely to finish in the top 3, won the Big Ten, going to the Rose Bowl or NCG, only 2 seniors on the team.
2006:
12-1, finished #2, won the Big Ten, won another Heisman, lost to UF who lost to Auburn.
2005:
10-2, finished #4, won the Big Ten, won the Lombardi, won the Fiesta Bowl.
2004:
8-4, won the Alamo Bowl
2003:
11-2, finished #4, won the Fiesta Bowl
2002:
14-0, finished #1, won the Fiesta Bowl, won the Big Ten.

1998: also finished #2.
1996: also finished #2, won the Rose Bowl.

Five top 5 finishes in 6 years, 1 possibly 2 National Championships, a Heisman, a Lombardi, 4-1 (maybe 5-1) in bowl games, played/ing in 5 BCS Bowls in 6 years, 4 Big Ten Conference championships... overall record of 66-10 (87% wins).

What has UF done over that same time?

9-3, will play in non-BCS bowl
13-1, won national championship
9-3, won non-bsc outback bowl
7-5, lost non-bcs peach bowl
8-5, lost non-bcs outback bowl
8-5, lost non-bcs outback bowl

yes, 1 national championship, but only a 54-22 record, only 1 bcs bowl game in 6 years, a losing 2-3 record in bowl games, no Heisman's, no Lombardi's....

Yet Ohio State and their conference "a joke"?

Last edited by DrBegalke; 11/25/2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:19 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Yeah but OSU doesn't play in the SEC so of course they just are not as good

I'd love to see Hawaii play LSU in a bowl game.
Old 11/25/2007, 01:33 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
I'd love to see Hawaii play LSU in a bowl game.
Why, so it can be another massacre like it was with Notre Dame last year? . Grim, you actually think Hawaii has a chance with LSU. Come on!!!

Quote:
Yeah but OSU doesn't play in the SEC so of course they just are not as good
Exactly!!!!!!!!!

Daniels or McFadden? Give me a break. Did any of you watch the FLA/FLA St. game last night? That was just an average game for Tebow too. Tebow has a total of 51 touchdowns. Can any other player or QB say that? NOPE!

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/25/2007, 01:36 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
What crap this year has been. Teams like VW who lost the USF, and Ohio State who lost to Illinois will play for the Championship? While teams like LSU and Florida fall by the way side because the SEC is a conference stacked with talented teams from the bottom up. I'm disappointed in the BCS. Can we get a darn playoff already?? Who the hell is KU and MU do these teams even play division I football? Kansas toughest game was at Kansas State? What?? MU lost to Oklahoma who lost to Colorado and Texas Tech? These teams are a joke.
Amen

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/25/2007, 01:37 PM
Here comes the Gators

"Please, Big 12 teams have played for the national championship five times in the last eight years."

You know why? Because they play in a joke conference.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/25/2007, 01:54 PM
IllegitimiNonCarborundum

I'm sorry, but the best conference is not the one with the most mediocre teams, nor the most losses, nor the one that rarely makes it to the big show, nor the one that hasn't won a Heisman. By that argument, the MAC is a far better conference then any of the BCS conferences...

Likewise, the best team over a given period is not the one that only goes to a single BCS bowl versus 5, has a losing record in bowl games versus a 4-1 record, has a much worse overall winning percentage....

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Over the past 5-6 years, I would buy arguments for the PAC 10, Big Ten, or Big 12, but not the SEC as being the best conference.

I would also accept arguments that USC or Ohio State were the best team over that period, but certainly not any SEC team.

Maybe that makes me a "unintelligent idiot" or a "joke"? Or maybe it just elucidates the maturity of the fans of the SEC who insist on calling anyone who disagrees with them such names.

Last edited by DrBegalke; 11/25/2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11/25/2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Why, so it can be another massacre like it was with Notre Dame last year? . Grim, you actually think Hawaii has a chance with LSU. Come on!!!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!

Daniels or McFadden? Give me a break. Did any of you watch the FLA/FLA St. game last night? That was just an average game for Tebow too. Tebow has a total of 51 touchdowns. Can any other player or QB say that? NOPE!
I think, no I know Hawaii would play LSU a lot closer than you think. Doubt they could win but iot would be entertaining.

At some point when you get out in the real world you are going to get slapped upside the head with something we like to call reality If daniel somehow leads his team to a win over Oklahoma he will likely win the Heisman. As has been mentioned here many, many, many times the Heisman voters don't award the trophy to underclassmen. Like I told you before, if they have an option of any kind, they will not give Tebow the Heisman.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:15 PM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBegalke
I'm sorry, but the best conference is not the one with the most mediocre teams, nor the most losses, nor the one that rarely makes it to the big show, nor the one that hasn't won a Heisman. By that argument, the MAC is a far better conference then any of the BCS conferences...

Likewise, the best team over a given period is not the one that only goes to a single BCS bowl versus 5, has a losing record in bowl games versus a 4-1 record, has a much worse overall winning percentage....

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Over the past 5-6 years, I would buy arguments for the PAC 10, Big Ten, or Big 12, but not the SEC as being the best conference.

I would also accept arguments that USC or Ohio State were the best team over that period, but certainly not any SEC team.

Maybe that makes me a "unintelligent idiot" or a "joke"? Or maybe it just elucidates the maturity of the fans of the SEC who insist on calling anyone who disagrees with them such names.
First of all, stop using that phrase "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while." That phrased has been used and abused. It has been said way too many times and the sad part is it doesn't pertain to SEC football at all.

You may not be an idiot but your reasoning and knowledge of college football is a joke. I have said it once and I will say it again. The reason why you rarley see SEC teams go to the big game is because the SEC has so much talent and the conference is very deep. The SEC teams knock each other off all the time. Example: FLA killed Tennessee, Tennessee whooped UGA and UGA beat FLA. It practially came down to a three way tie. Then you have two triple overtimes and one quadruple overtime in the SEC. Even practically the best team in college football LSU has two losses which are from Kentucky and Arkansas. Those teams are usually the runts in the SEC but are still fierce oppenents nonetheless. Our conference is stacked from top to bottom with talent and with teams that can all beat each other. Can you say that about the Big 10 or the Big 12? Hell no. Would you ever see Baylor beat Oklahoma or how about Minnesota beating OSU or Michigan. The Big 10 has who? Ohio State. The Big 12 has what Kansas, OU and Mizz. But who have those Big 12 teams played all year that makes them deserve those top spots in the rankings? The only other conference I would say has some talent this year is the PAC 10 but that is still in question with Dixon gone for Oregon. Now the PAC 10 only has Arizona State and USC and I still question Arizona State.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!

Last edited by 55semireef; 11/25/2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11/25/2007, 04:47 PM

Semi, Do wear a sheet and hand SEC flowers out at the airport? You are brainwashed. Having the overtime games and beating each other proves NOTHING!!!!!!!!! So your teams are evenly matched, SO WHAT? That doesn't make them any better (or worse) than any other conference.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:01 PM
Here comes the Gators

Grim, you're the one that is brainwashed. Alright let me simplify it for you.

Pretend you have a lot of teams. You take roughly some of the best and throw them in one conference. The other conferences, you just have roughly two great teams, some mediocere and the rest highschool level. The conference that is full of talent with the great teams knock each other off while the few great teams in the other conferences play teams that are unworthy and uncontesting. You tell me Grim, which is the better conference?

Just answer that.

oh and btw, all the overtime games proves how much more evenly matched our conference is versus the Big 10's huge gap between good teams and horrible teams.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/25/2007, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Have you noticed how many bowl eligible teams are in the Big Ten right now??

I wouldnt say that the gap is all that huge.
Old 11/25/2007, 07:54 PM
Here comes the Gators

Yeah its great to play in the Mastercard Alamo bowl.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/25/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

I wouldnt know, but if you say so...
Old 11/25/2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Grim, you're the one that is brainwashed. Alright let me simplify it for you.

Pretend you have a lot of teams. You take roughly some of the best and throw them in one conference. The other conferences, you just have roughly two great teams, some mediocere and the rest highschool level. The conference that is full of talent with the great teams knock each other off while the few great teams in the other conferences play teams that are unworthy and uncontesting. You tell me Grim, which is the better conference?

Just answer that.

oh and btw, all the overtime games proves how much more evenly matched our conference is versus the Big 10's huge gap between good teams and horrible teams.
How do you know all those teams are really good? Tennessee won the division after they got beat by Cal. You see how well Cal did in the Pac

I mean really, who has any SEC team beat from another conference that was a top rated team? The SEC only had one quality OOC win, LSU creamed Virginia Tech. Was that game a fluke? Well LSU lost to Kentucky and Kentucky struggled to get a win against Louisville, their best OOC opponent. Can't use Arkansas as a judge because they played a bunch of nobodys OOC. I think LSU has just been very lucky this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Tennessee beats them.

I think Georgia is playing the best in the SEC right now followed closely by Florida. Lets see if they get matched against decent teams in the bowls and how they do.
Old 11/25/2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Treg
I wouldnt know, but if you say so...
No but his Gators are going to know
Old 11/26/2007, 12:01 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
How do you know all those teams are really good? Tennessee won the division after they got beat by Cal. You see how well Cal did in the Pac

I mean really, who has any SEC team beat from another conference that was a top rated team? The SEC only had one quality OOC win, LSU creamed Virginia Tech. Was that game a fluke? Well LSU lost to Kentucky and Kentucky struggled to get a win against Louisville, their best OOC opponent. Can't use Arkansas as a judge because they played a bunch of nobodys OOC. I think LSU has just been very lucky this year. I wouldn't be shocked if Tennessee beats them.

I think Georgia is playing the best in the SEC right now followed closely by Florida. Lets see if they get matched against decent teams in the bowls and how they do.
Grim, the more you speak the more I realize how little about college football you know. You have been hiding under those smiley faces and sarcastic remarks this whole time.
Quote:
That was the first game of the season for crying out loud. OMG, you really think Tennessee hasn't got their game together since? I can't wait until Mutt sees what you just said. Tennessee has definately stepped up their game since and CAL has dramatically went downhill. I don't really know why CAL went into a huge slump but they were a pretty decent team until their first loss against Oregon State.

Quote:
I mean really, who has any SEC team beat from another conference that was a top rated team?
Was that a serious question or are you trying to be like John Madden and stating the complete obvious? The SEC schools didn't really schedule any worthy oppenents from the outside conferences in the first place so how could they have had the chances to beat an OOC game? LSU did hammer VT, FLA destroyed FLA St., Georgia beat GT and Kentucky beat Lousiville. Those are the only ones that really come to mind. It's not that the SEC schools didn't beat a top rated team from another conference, it is that they aren't scheduling them. FLA is playing the Miami Hurricanes next year. But three years ago did FLA think Miami was going to be in a complete mess? I mean Grim, the SEC has plenty to worry about within their conference so why would they make it harder and put more pressure on themselves by scheduling tough OOC games? Doesn't make sense if you're a SEC school trying to win the NC or at least a bowl game.

For the like the 5th time already, stop using that irrationale reasoning of "well lets see, LSU creamed VT but Kentucky barley beat a struggling Lousiville but then Kentucky beat LSU so therefore LSU is overrated." That's crap. You should know teams have good and bad days and a team may be really effective against one team but may be less effective against another. It's all relative but its not the same type of relavence in which you are blobbering about.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!

Last edited by 55semireef; 11/26/2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:12 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
No but his Gators are going to know
The citrus bowl (a bowl they most likely are going to play in) isn't all that bad. Sure the gators went through a little slump mid season but they are playing decent ball now. Whoever FLA is going to play I feel sorry for especially if it is Zook.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 11/26/2007, 12:33 AM

"Was that a serious question or are you trying to be like John Madden and stating the complete obvious? The SEC schools didn't really schedule any worthy oppenents from the outside conferences in the first place so how could they have had the chances to beat an OOC game?"

Then how can you say the SEC is better than any other conference? All you know for sure is that there isn't a standout team in the SEC this year. By the way, nice of you to admitt that the majority of the SEC teams don't have the guts to schedule a serious program OOC

Is Florida State, Georgia Tech or Louisville even rated? Nyet! So either LSU is very good and just manhandled Virginia Tech or the game was a fluke. Considering all the games LSU struggled in since they played Carolina I would say it was a fluke.

I understand that you might not possess the mental capacity to grasp the concept of looking at the big picture but the fact that LSU lost to Kentucky, Barely got past Florida and Auburn and didn't exactly impress against Alabama is a strong indication they are not a superior team. Losing to Arkansas just confirmed it.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
The citrus bowl (a bowl they most likely are going to play in) isn't all that bad. Sure the gators went through a little slump mid season but they are playing decent ball now. Whoever FLA is going to play I feel sorry for especially if it is Zook.
I'd like to see them pitted against a team with a good rushing defense. It would be interesting to see what Tebow can do with just his arm.