Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 12:43 AM
Here comes the Gators

I own this page!

I am pretty shocked the Vols kinda lost it this year. What happened to expectations?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/16/2007, 12:55 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Nothing happened to the expectations.....They're still present. The reality sux, but the expectations survive.......just ask Fulmer.

I own this page! - and not even an acknowledgement of the assist. Typical Gator punk.
Old 09/16/2007, 12:59 AM
Here comes the Gators

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling
Nothing happened to the expectations.....They're still present. The reality sux, but the expectations survive.......just ask Fulmer.

I own this page! - and not even an acknowledgement of the assist. Typical Gator punk.
Zook was out of there when he had seasons such as going 8-3.

Mutt, how do you think Fulmer would do as a coach at FLA?

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 09/16/2007, 01:11 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by 55semireef
Zook was out of there when he had seasons such as going 8-3.

Mutt, how do you think Fulmer would do as a coach at FLA?

FAR better than Zook. Fulmer has an undefeated season and a NC title under his belt among other accomplishments. If Fulmer's last 3 or 4 years had been his first 3 or 4, Tennessee would have fired him just like Florida did Zook but recent history wasn't his initial history. Fulmer turned an on again/ off again program into an NC program, Zook sucked from day one despite being handed a top end team.

On an entertaining side note, you asked me to give an honest and up front opinion of the game that was played today. I did so. However, you seem totally unable to give a realistic (much less honest) opinion of the Florida football program. Don't you recall the pre-Spurrier days of TOTAL sucktitude and post Spurier days of struggling to make it happen? I recall you putting Fulmer down in years past, but I never recall you being realistic in your evaluations of Florida. hmmmmmmmmm

I'm honest about Tennessee, seems like someone else in this conversation needs to take a few lessons in honesty and reality.

Then again, such things are to be expected of new comers to the ranks of the powerful programs. Florida is new money, Tennessee is old money. I welcome you to the money world, but strongly suggest you avoid the typical pattern of arrogance that comes with a new entry.

Last edited by Muttling; 09/16/2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09/16/2007, 07:51 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Here is my assessment of the top 3 teams in the country IMHO

1) USC- started slow against the Cornhuskers but just put it into overdrive, at this point they look like the most complete team in the country, the running game just found it's legs and the defense is scary good, every bit as good as LSU if you ask me!

2) LSU- Spanked VTech! defense is ridiculously good and the offense has playmakers, they are right up there with USC as far as deserving the #1 spot. They are heading for a showdown with UF that will determine who's king of the SEC in Early October

3) Florida- Still a bit raw in that young secondary but loaded with potential, if those kids can grow up with each game they could be really good late in the year. The D-Line needs another guy to step up with pressure on the QB to free Derrick Harvey, maybe Carlos Dunlap will get more playing time? As far as the offense, prolly the most explosive in the country right now, their speed rivals anyone's in the country and they are deep! Tebow will only get better and that is scary! I'd like to see him play from behind with pressure on him but it may never get to that?

the rest of the Top 25 is just that, the rest! WVU is good but you cannot lump them into the top 3, the would get smoked at this point if they played any of them.

Last edited by kev apsley; 09/16/2007 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09/16/2007, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubman777
you crack me up. I dont remember Laurinaitis doing much last year in the NC besides standing their looking frustrated.
im pretty sure i remember some tackles but thats beside the point; Im pretty sure he wont think his college career is complete until he's got Tebow on his back and the ball popped loose...

besides i figured out what went wrong in last years NC and it wasn't Floridas speed..its just three simple words

*Granted Florida did have some speedy as mother****ers.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Im just bustin your hump.

What were the 3 words?
Old 09/16/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
As for the Florida - Tennessee thrashing..........................

TEBOW - He showed his athletic talent and his inexperience quite impressively. The kid's got insane promise, but we had him confused during the first half. If we could have put pressure on him, he would have really melted down but our defensive line was totally erased by Florida's protection and he had time to think about it. Later in the game he started getting his head about him and improving, but he's still a bit wet behind the ears. That kid is going to be NASTY next year and the year following (if he hangs on for it.)

I dont know, if he can put up 28 pts in the first half while supposedly confused, then I would say he is pretty nasty now.

have you checked the box score? He threw for 299 yds on only 14 of 19 attempts. That is rediculous.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:35 AM
living life 2 the fullest

Man was that a good day or what.

UCLA got thumped by Utah of all teams.

Kentucky beat Louisville in style. Was a real good day overall, and of course iam not going to brag about my team winning either, but just to let ya know, we did win of course.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 09/16/2007, 11:47 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
I dont know, if he can put up 28 pts in the first half while supposedly confused, then I would say he is pretty nasty now.

have you checked the box score? He threw for 299 yds on only 14 of 19 attempts. That is rediculous.
Did you check the box score? Tebow only put up 21 points in the first half
Old 09/16/2007, 11:49 AM

Hey, I called the Tucky win early. Guess I should have put money on that game.
Old 09/16/2007, 12:09 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:

14 of 19 attempts says it all. They called a LOT more than 19 passing plays. He's a runner and when he gets confused he hesitates or doesn't throw at all. He's got talent, but he still needs seasonng. Fortunately, he's got an extremely good offensive line which is what a young QB needs.
Old 09/16/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Im just bustin your hump.

What were the 3 words?
haha bustin your hump..its just a really weird phrase if you think about it...

3 words ae ted ginn Jr. if he doesn't get injured (in a really gay way) then we have alot more offensive firepower instead you can put one man on a 2 string receiver and have another man to concentrate on gonzalez or pittman....oh well too late now
Old 09/16/2007, 12:52 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by emerald chondro
eww double post....hehe Pac 10 aint looking so Big anymore

Ucla-Owned by Utah

Wash- my Bucks

Oregon State- Uc last week

Now we just gotta get the Sec...
Not so fast, my friend!

The PAC did take a hit and even though UW lost to OSU as expected and we now know AZ will most likely be the PAC's doormat. The only real surprise was UCLA getting clobbered(Did Urban Meyer fly to the game to help coach the Utes or what?). Because of UCLA's poor performance, I'd have to rate the PAC 10 a C- this week. Could've been a solid B had the Bruins performed. They say Jake Locker is the Tebow of the West. I think he's a better runner but Tebow is a much, much better passer! Locker has no touch what so ever, missing open receivers constantly that would've made the game far more competitive. Another blocked field goal to help break the momentum of a game as well. Boy, do I hate seeing blocked field goals. And as for SC, they played well and very physical but if they were to play LSU right now, I would give LSU the edge because SC's receivers were pathetic! Definitely not Booty's fault for low passing numbers. I saw at least 3 dropped passes, 2 that would've went for big yards and one that would've prolonged a drive on 3rd down. These guys need some serious stick'em on their fingers! The good news is that if they do face LSU, they have all season to get that fixed. At least we know who are starting RB will be.

Conferences Records this week

PAC 10 7-3 (C-)

Even Stanford got a win! UCLA could've given us a B rating and UW would've given the PAC an A if Locker only knew how to pass. Oregon did not have a letdown after the Michigan massacre and Aizona St. still cruising right along. SC went out and took care of business in a hostile environment. Tailback U is what it looked like out there! Moody who!!!

Big 10 8-3 (B-)

Big 10 saved face this week! The top tier teams did their job in winning and I still think Michigan ends up winning the Big 10 and if they don't, it'll go to Penn St. ND's offense is so bad that even Big Blue's "D" looked awesome against them. Also, went 2-0 against the Big East. Big 10 could've gotten an A if it weren't for the fact that Minn lost to Fla Atlantic, Iowa losing to Iowa St. and Duke breaking it's 22 game losing streak against NW.

Big East 4-3 (C)

West Virginia, Rutgers and Cincy won easily against lesser opponents but you let the Big 10 go 2-0 against you and Louisville lost a showdown with the SEC. The Big East will soon be exposed!

SEC 4-0 against OOC & 8-4 overall (A-)

Gave the SEC an A- because they did what they were suppose to do and beat the weaker oppponents(UCLA needs to learn from this). Still can't tell just how good LSU is going to be until they play on the road against a formidable foe and though I think their "D" is awesome, I'd like to see how they handle Tebow. Rich Brooks(Former Oregon coach) had a huge victory over highly ranked Louisville. Good to see him put that program back on the map with leftover SEC players. SEC could've received an A+ if the higher ranked AUB & ARK had won. The officiating on the ARK/BAMA game was horrible!
I really feel LSU & FLA will face eachother twice this year so the loser in the first game need not despair as another shot will most likely be in order.

"The Conference of Champions"

359 NCAA titles and counting!

2nd Best, The Big 10 with a distant 212 titles

PAC 10 FOOTBALL is 9-6 against the SEC since the turn of the century!

Last edited by Old Yeller Tang; 09/16/2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09/16/2007, 12:55 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Ted Ginn Jr. may have helped somewhat but in reality Smith never had time to find any receivers so I doubt Ginn would have been the difference maker if he did play.
Old 09/16/2007, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Did you check the box score? Tebow only put up 21 points in the first half
Well EXCUUUUUUSE me. I forgot about the Brandon James return. Still, he did single handedly outscore and outgain the Vols entire team.

My point was that he played extremely well.
Old 09/16/2007, 01:24 PM

OYT, You really think out of USC, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and California there wont be 2 undefeated teams?
Old 09/16/2007, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
14 of 19 attempts says it all. They called a LOT more than 19 passing plays. He's a runner and when he gets confused he hesitates or doesn't throw at all. He's got talent, but he still needs seasonng. Fortunately, he's got an extremely good offensive line which is what a young QB needs.
I dont know, over 70% passing tells me that he made good decisions and knowing that he can run as well as anyone, decided not to force throws when he can pick up 5-20 yards by himself.
Old 09/16/2007, 01:41 PM
Moved Onward

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
OYT, You really think out of USC, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and California there wont be 2 undefeated teams?
Only teams I feel have a strong chance in going undefeated will be LSU, Oklahoma and BC. Just look at Oklahomas schedule and you'll know why. Boston College just got by their toughest game of the season. Unless FLA has LSU's number, LSU should go undefeated and SC will have the toughest time going undefeated with so many road games but I can't see CAL going undefeated cause their "D" isn't dominating like SC's, LSU's and Okla. I don't see any team in the Big 10 going undefeated and looking at Wisky struggle against UNLV and the Citadel, they are a longshot. The Big East schools will knock eachother off. They have good teams but none so dominate to easily beat the other.

Old 09/16/2007, 01:47 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Your right Old Yeller Tang.....OU looks damn good too!
Old 09/16/2007, 02:32 PM
Moved Onward

What I'd like to see is Okla go undefeated and left out of the title game just because they were given two gimmies to the title game before when LSU's beat them when everyone knew it should've been LSU facing SC and when SC destroyed them the following year and Aub was left out. I'm sure AUB would've given SC a better game! OKLA shouldn't be given another gimmie once again because their schedule is very weak this year.

Old 09/16/2007, 03:13 PM

Out of the teams I listed I think 2 are likely to go perfect for the year. I don't think a one loss team makes it into the big one this year.

Last edited by The Grim Reefer; 09/16/2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09/16/2007, 03:38 PM

Only real thing to complain about in the new rankings is the AP bringing Bama in at 16. Way too high considering they defeated at number 16 team that had only played troy so far. I think Louisvill maybe could have been dropped a tad farther too.
Old 09/16/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kev apsley
Ted Ginn Jr. may have helped somewhat but in reality Smith never had time to find any receivers so I doubt Ginn would have been the difference maker if he did play.
all goes back to having another man available for blitzes; supposing Ginn's still playing that leaves one less man that lineman will have to pick up. if they dont double Ginn and blitz with the man or have him play in a zone elsewhere; Ginn has the speed to beat his man and allow Troy to throw it up; I personally believe this is the main reason but at this point it doesnt matter and almost undebatable.

Hehe and Yeller Sc and Cal's time is approaching; The Pac10 will go down
Old 09/16/2007, 04:34 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by emerald chondro
all goes back to having another man available for blitzes; supposing Ginn's still playing that leaves one less man that lineman will have to pick up. if they dont double Ginn and blitz with the man or have him play in a zone elsewhere; Ginn has the speed to beat his man and allow Troy to throw it up; I personally believe this is the main reason but at this point it doesnt matter and almost undebatable.

Hehe and Yeller Sc and Cal's time is approaching; The Pac10 will go down
that assumption is quite a stretch considering Florida dominated OSU in all phases of the game