Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 12/27/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I suppose you guys get little or no cloud cover then?

Cannot wait till its all up and running... holidays, get to work... :-)

Looks fab.
Conor.
Old 12/27/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by conorwynne
I suppose you guys get little or no cloud cover then?

Cannot wait till its all up and running... holidays, get to work... :-)

Looks fab.
Conor.
A lot less cloud cover then you get in Irland. I love your country the grass is so green. I went to golf there in 1998 it was great.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 12/27/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

the house is gutted out above the tank so I have plenty of room to get it down to it Im adding a bath room up stairs and I can make the new plubing wall big enough to get the 10in tubes in to the basement.

250gl In wall tank set up on Dec 27 2003 with a 20 gal sump for heaters and skimmer and a 30gal summp used for a ref
Old 12/27/2007, 04:14 PM
DIY Junkie

I think it would look great, but probably wouldn't suffice for primary lighting. Maybe the solatubes and some T5's would do the trick. The moonlight at night would definitely be something to see
Old 12/27/2007, 05:13 PM
Magnetic Wall of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Earl87gta
the house is gutted out above the tank so I have plenty of room to get it down to it Im adding a bath room up stairs and I can make the new plubing wall big enough to get the 10in tubes in to the basement.
I've got (02) 10" tubes on my reef. I have to supplement with (04) T5's.. Probably get away with (02) T5's but I could never get the color I liked with just (02) bulbs and the Natural Sunlight.

My tubes run approximately 14 ft from the roof to the water surface of my reef. I personally think the 10" tubes are too small. I would size up to 16" if you can make them work.. Also, you will loose some intensity from the light refracting off the tubes, so even bigger I.D. tubes would be better for your reef.

One thing I did on my install was to NOT install the domes on the roof, instead I used some flat sheet Plexiglass. The intensity of light was much better with the flat surface than the dome. I picked this idea up from a reefer in Australia that did this before me.

I personally like the natural light, and my SPS do as well. Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see some pics.

Later,

Jim
Old 12/27/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE][i here is what i am working on.

Hey Carl, you have your roof on and that big skylight flashed by now, don't you?

How is the project coming along?

I'm interested because what I planned is very similar to what you are doing.

Joe
Old 12/27/2007, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

you can follow the progress here.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...6#post11467136

not roofed yet. watertight but no shingles. the roofers house is only able to be worked on when other jobs permit.

water going in the tank tomorrow for hydrotest of plumbing of closed loop.

Carl
Old 12/28/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

OT - Nice shingles!! We don't see much Certainteed Presidential's up here in IL, I gotta see a pic when the roof is done. Possibly one in it's current state?? Lol!! Roofers pr0n is a well done roof, sad to say isn't it?

Anyhow, this is an interesting concept your working on with the anolux skylight shaft. Any concern for light overrun or possible reflection issues with the seating or other housing arrangements?
Old 12/28/2007, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

i love the Presidential shingles. i will post some pictures when it is done.

the part that is open around the tank may get doors so i can have the reflective material all the way to the tank so no light spills out. i am not worried about the furniture. there won't be anything near the tank.

Carl