Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/30/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Carnation coral flow requirements

I have a few small carnation corals. I have food for them, it's just that I don't know the exact flow required for them to open their polyps. they are in their own "non-phytosynthetic" tank and I keep a constant direction with the flow to imitate a reef wall. How fast, or slow do they have to have it (cm or in/sec.)?
Old 01/31/2007, 03:23 AM
Premium Member

I have one too. What are you feeding it? No matter who I talk to they tell me it's a lost cause...I feed phyto and have it in a cave. A powerhead is hitting off the glass about 4 inches from it and it seems o.k for now. I've only had it a week though.
Old 01/31/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

What food have you for them??

I´m very interesting on non-photosynthetic tanks, could you talk a little about it? Do you have pics?

Thanks
Old 01/31/2007, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=524097
Old 01/31/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

I'm learning too, but I was told to feed phyto daily along with other types of food. Leena knows more than I do I'm sure.
Here's mine. It seems to like the area I have placed it in and has adjusted it's position a little bit over the past two days.

Old 02/01/2007, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

Thats really pretty. I think my luck has just been that my coral was so small when I got it that it's not been so difficult to get enough food to it.

My ggalleryhas a picture of the tank before the carnation - skimmerless, liverock and sand for filtration. When the carnation came we broke down a lot of the rock so we could get better flow to and around that coral.

With live phyto fed daily the coral wasn't crashing, but I was seeing a reduction in size over time. I happened to move a coral that I was heavily feeding squid near it and saw the polyps expand, so I started feeding the tank and the coral with squid juice, enriched rotifers and just about blended anything.

I don't even want to go there with what happened to the water quality until this got (is still getting) stabilized, but the coral stopped dropping off fragments and started getting more girth to it.

If anyone finds more info or an article that isn't in the dendro thread I would love to know about it.
Thanks!
Old 02/01/2007, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Can you get squid juice at any local fish store? I feed my corals mysis and phyto. I wasn't sure what else might be beneficial!
Old 02/01/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I get packages of sea food, let it thaw while soaking in selco, and blend it to have small enough chunks to feed fish, sun corals, anemones, etc. The "juice" is just the left over stuff that that usually gets strained out before dropping food into the tank...and thinking of dropping that into a tank is enough to send anyone not trying to keep a dendro run screaming. If I didn't have the pink guy, I wouldn't do it.

I also feed phyto and mysis

Old 02/02/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

has anybody tried live baby brine shrimps or rotifest, phytofest or DT's oyster eggs with these guys?